Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: The Cubs Today

  1. #1
    HN Legend ShadasRevenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    7,334

    The Cubs Today

    3 runs on one hit? Catch the ball, Soto!


  2. #2
    HN Legend woodyk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    6,993

    Re: The Cubs Today

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadasRevenge View Post
    3 runs on one hit? Catch the ball, Soto!

    I was going to wait to post in case the .000001 % chance of a bottom of the 9th comeback. They are facing Lidge!

    You are correct on the implosion - from an out at home to end the game to giving up 4 runs and Castro saving 2 with a great play to end the inning. Ouch!

  3. #3
    HN Legend ShadasRevenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    7,334

    Re: The Cubs Today

    Fontenot swings at ball four to strike out. That play by Castro was pretty sweet. I can't remember if the Cubs have won back to back one-run games this year, or if today would have been the first.

    Today is a day where you miss Brenly in the booth. Soto should have made that play, Hollandsworth needs to stop making excuses for him. It was a perfect throw.
    Last edited by ShadasRevenge; 07-17-2010 at 02:06 PM.

  4. #4
    HN Legend woodyk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    6,993

    Re: The Cubs Today

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadasRevenge View Post
    Fontenot swings at ball four to strike out. That play by Castro was pretty sweet. I can't remember if the Cubs have won back to back one-run games this year, or if today would have been the first.

    Today is a day where you miss Brenly in the booth. Soto should have made that play, Hollandsworth needs to stop making excuses for him. It was a perfect throw.
    100% agree. Brenly would have said Soto should have caught the ball. Fukudome walks and Theriot is battling. Come on, Lidge!

  5. #5
    HN Legend woodyk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    6,993

    Re: The Cubs Today

    Never mind. I thought Theriot might have gotten lucky with that one, but no dice. Bad, bad loss there. With 2 wins over the Phillies already, this would have been nice to win here. They just can't seem to make the plays to be successful over a span of games.

  6. #6
    HN Legend ShadasRevenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    7,334

    Re: The Cubs Today

    Yep. All they have to do now is go out and beat Halladay to win the series.

  7. #7
    HN Legend woodyk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    6,993

    Re: The Cubs Today

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadasRevenge View Post
    Yep. All they have to do now is go out and beat Halladay to win the series.
    At least it is Sunday night and nationally televised!

  8. #8
    HN Legend ShadasRevenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    7,334

    Re: The Cubs Today

    The Cubs will be on Sunday night three weeks in a row; the game against St. Louis next Sunday is the ESPN game as well.

  9. #9
    HN Legend woodyk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    6,993

    Re: The Cubs Today

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadasRevenge View Post
    The Cubs will be on Sunday night three weeks in a row; the game against St. Louis next Sunday is the ESPN game as well.
    Shows you that someone thought they would be a good team at this point of the year.

  10. #10
    Senior blkngoldUofI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Osage, Iowa
    Posts
    720

    Re: The Cubs Today

    Where is the blame that should be layed on Marmol? Love you people out there that pick on one specific play to call a guy out. Soto doesn't need to catch the damn ball if Marmol is throwing strikes and not walking 5 batters leading up to that play. Have you ever had to catch a ball with a pud and slap a tag on a MLB player coming into score........probably not.

  11. #11
    HN Legend woodyk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    6,993

    Re: The Cubs Today

    Quote Originally Posted by blkngoldUofI View Post
    Where is the blame that should be layed on Marmol? Love you people out there that pick on one specific play to call a guy out. Soto doesn't need to catch the damn ball if Marmol is throwing strikes and not walking 5 batters leading up to that play. Have you ever had to catch a ball with a pud and slap a tag on a MLB player coming into score........probably not.
    Yes, I have caught with a pud. It's easy to pinpoint this play since if Soto catches the ball and applies the tag, the game is over. I have been defending Soto as a good defensive catcher in another thread. These are the kind of plays that are made when a team is winning and not made when they are losing.

    I agree that Marmol had no command today, and he gave up the hit that led to the play in question, but I guarantee Soto thinks he should have caught the ball too. It's the major leagues.

  12. #12
    HN Legend ShadasRevenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    7,334

    Re: The Cubs Today

    Quote Originally Posted by blkngoldUofI View Post
    Where is the blame that should be layed on Marmol? Love you people out there that pick on one specific play to call a guy out. Soto doesn't need to catch the damn ball if Marmol is throwing strikes and not walking 5 batters leading up to that play. Have you ever had to catch a ball with a pud and slap a tag on a MLB player coming into score........probably not.
    If Soto makes that play, the game is over, and it doesn't matter that Marmol walked five guys. Yeah it sucks that Marmol got himself into that situation, but that's a play that Soto has to make. The throw beat the runner by 10 feet, and it was a perfect one hopper right at eye-level.

    But if you want to split hairs, you can name Marmol and Soto "co-goats" for the afternoon.

  13. #13
    VintageHawkeye
    Guest

    Re: The Cubs Today

    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-fyZWn_0YA]YouTube - Ronnie Woo Woo[/ame]

  14. #14
    Senior blkngoldUofI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Osage, Iowa
    Posts
    720

    Re: The Cubs Today

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadasRevenge View Post
    If Soto makes that play, the game is over, and it doesn't matter that Marmol walked five guys. Yeah it sucks that Marmol got himself into that situation, but that's a play that Soto has to make. The throw beat the runner by 10 feet, and it was a perfect one hopper right at eye-level.

    But if you want to split hairs, you can name Marmol and Soto "co-goats" for the afternoon.
    Split hairs is total BS!! IF Marmol doesn't walk guys that play isn't even in question. The pitches way before that play occured led to Soto's no play. But hey you can blame anyone you want, I blame Marmol, had a lead, walked five guys, blew the lead and lost the game for the Cubs today.

  15. #15
    HN Legend ShadasRevenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    7,334

    Re: The Cubs Today

    Quote Originally Posted by blkngoldUofI View Post
    Split hairs is total BS!! IF Marmol doesn't walk guys that play isn't even in question. The pitches way before that play occured led to Soto's no play. But hey you can blame anyone you want, I blame Marmol, had a lead, walked five guys, blew the lead and lost the game for the Cubs today.
    I don't disagree with any of that. My point is that if Soto makes the catch/tag, the game is over and those five walks don't matter.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •