Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Junior

Re: The Shadow spring football tidbits

Who Runs Barter Town?

Quote Originally Posted by OO44 View Post
    5. He concluded by saying that punts were being boomed from the entrance of the visitors at Kinnick to the Hawk entrance.
    Sounds good, but are you sure that's what you meant in #5? That's only from the SEast corner of the endzone to the SWest. (cross field)

Shumpert managed to make some quality plays on special teams right from the outset last year. That is usually a pretty good sign ... at least with respect to providing a measure for his effort-level, athletic upside, and his investment to the program. As he develops and continues to refine his craft at WR ... his upside is absolutley tremendous.

And, as an FYI to everybody, Shumpert was already turning heads last year due to his impressive combo of speed, size, and athleticism.

The bigger issue will be how he gets down the important WR skills. How well does he high-point the ball? How active is he with his hands when going up after balls? More explicitly ... how well does he catch the ball? Lastly, how about his route-running and blocking? It's one thing to be an athletic freak ... it's quite another to have that translate to a particular position unit. Hopefully he works out .... because I've been excited about him for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdrummer1 View Post
    Sounds good, but are you sure that's what you meant in #5? That's only from the SEast corner of the endzone to the SWest. (cross field)
    I wondered the same thing.

Pooch kicks? We could have used a few more of them from Donahue last year.
    Losing people you love affects you. It is buried inside of you and becomes this big, deep hole of ache. It doesn't magically go away, even when you stop officially mourning.

Well if the punters were actually 'booming' the ball I take that as being with pretty good hangtime...and let's not forgot the width of a football field is a little over 50 yards so nothing to sneeze at for a first year starting punter.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post
    I am cautiously bullish about the offense this year...that is probably a contradiction of terms..I guess I mean I am not gonna be on the mountaintops screaming 32 points per game...but I think its possible.
    If Vandenberg can limit mistakes and we can stay healthy, 30 ppg is definitely possible. We were averaging over 30 ppg last year before A-Rob's concussion against MSU. After that our average for the last 4 games was below 20 ppg IIRC. His injury no doubt led to the stalling of our offense. We have a promising RB and a good O-Line anchored by one of the best, if not the best (Reiff), O-Linemen in the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Briggs32 View Post
    If Vandenberg can limit mistakes and we can stay healthy, 30 ppg is definitely possible. We were averaging over 30 ppg last year before A-Rob's concussion against MSU. After that our average for the last 4 games was below 20 ppg IIRC. His injury no doubt led to the stalling of our offense. We have a promising RB and a good O-Line anchored by one of the best, if not the best (Reiff), O-Linemen in the conference.
    imo, the stalling of the offense was due to a couple OL who got hurt - Gettis being one (i think he hurt his ankle v. MSU) , Macmillan the other, if memory serves. that was huge.

Quote Originally Posted by imported_ankle23 View Post
    imo, the stalling of the offense was due to a couple OL who got hurt - Gettis being one (i think he hurt his ankle v. MSU) , Macmillan the other, if memory serves. that was huge.
    Absolutely correct. And, to compound upon those injuries, I've heard from pretty reliable folks that James Ferentz was playing dinged in the latter part of the season too. Thus, the immediate implication there is that we were hurting more than a little bit on the interior OL ... and to make matters worse, Stanzi didn't have his "normal" RB there to help in blitz pick-up.

Once I learned the bit about Ferentz and it became more clear about the extent of ARob's concussion ... it's really no surprise that Stanzi's play seemed a bit "off" after the MSU game.

Worst coaching decision of the season? I vote for leaving Arob in late in the MSU game.

Nothin' like a good old fashioned Shadow report. Thanks 0044!

Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post
    I am cautiously bullish about the offense this year...that is probably a contradiction of terms..I guess I mean I am not gonna be on the mountaintops screaming 32 points per game...but I think its possible.
    Jon if we can punish D's that put 8-9 guys in the box to stop Coker.....our O might be one of the best we've had in a while. Given our D will be maybe weaker we will need to control time and clock and I think this years Oline may be as talented and deep as any I've seen......we could have a "special" O this year.

Quote Originally Posted by clim33 View Post
    Jon if we can punish D's that put 8-9 guys in the box to stop Coker.....our O might be one of the best we've had in a while.
    I agree, but if last year's experience is any indication, that's a pretty major "IF".

I'm as close as you will find to a KOK apologist - I think it's sad the extent to which he's become the scapegoat for all our ills - but I took some serious issue with the playcalling at times last year. HYPER-conservative, even by Iowa's standards. With a senior 3 yr starter at QB and two legit NFL talents at WR, I think we could have taken the training wheels off in a couple games (Indiana and NW immediately come to mind) and really blown their doors off...but chose not to for whatever reason. In both of those games, we insisted on running head first into 8-9 man fronts (often times right into the teeth of run blitzes).

I don't want to be pessimistic (it's no fun), but I'm afraid a 1st year starter @ QB this year gives the staff the perfect excuse for more of the same.

Junior

It seems like when we are overlooked we have our best season. We have to replace some great players as we might have the most players drafted and signed as free agents in history. if not the most, certainly one of the most signed.

I've said all along we have the potential to be better on offense and it starts with a terrific offensive line as well as two-deeps. I really don't remember an OL with as much depth. I think Vanderburg is every bit as good a QB (skill wise) as Stanzi. Can he make the reads and lead as well. We'll see. I like the RB's we have and more are on the way! We have good WR's back with McNutt and Davis and it sounds like the new guys are very capable. Why not be excited about the TE's? I guess I've talked myself into a 30 ppg offense.

Our DL will be very good having 6-7 players rotating in could help avoid the 4th quarter issues we had last year and insure we have experienced depth if an injury occurs. Our LB's are going to be damn good. I like having the speed with the new guys. Both corners are back unless Hyde moves to safety. If that happens it should mean a new strong corner has emerged. The place kickers are back and the punting game could/should be a drop off.

With all the new talented players we are bringing in and talented backup already here should make special teams special again. Just tell me who is fielding punts and returning kickoffs and you'll have me convinced.

How many days until kickoff?

Banned
    Waiting for the ground breaking recruiting feature to debut

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Worst coaching decision of the season? I vote for leaving Arob in late in the MSU game.

Thats nice...really not what this thread was about though.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast