Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: New Hawkeye Sport... Hockey?

Quote Originally Posted by HwkFn4Life View Post
    Well, I see that I'm not alone at least in hoping for this to somewhere down the line become reality. I'm a USHL follower myself, and Iowa could do very well with a hockey team IMO. Never been to Cedar Rapids for a game, but heard it's a good hockey environment. You guys point out most of the deficiencies needed to get it going, but I wouln't put it passed Barta to do some pretty good fundraising for such a project. I would say eventually, something like this would require an on campus ice arena. Where would it go? Not as familiar with Iowa campus as some of you guys are I'm sure.
    I believe I heard that they are planning on moving the baseball field, possibly out by where soccer/field hockey is currently at. Not sure if I'm much of a fan of that idea, but if it happens, there would be space right across the street from Carver (which would be the ideal location if Carver couldn't be redone to house hockey).
    HawkeyeRyno's yearly assessment of Fran's recruiting:

Really? Because judging by how many of Fran's top targets have committed elsewhere so far and Iowa has no commitments I'd say recruiting trail has been a struggle so far for Fran for the [insert current recruiting year] class.

Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBorwig316 View Post
    I agree. If you just play on the preset difficulty settings, it can get a bit out of hand when playing against the computer. However, if you go in and toy around with the individual difficulty settings for the AI and human players, you can actually make it quite challenging. Just turn down the shooting accuracy for the human player and ramp up the defensive aggressiveness and awarness and goalie play for the AI and that should make it a lot more challenging for you. At least it does for me, but I'm by no means a video game wizard. My arthritic thumbs see to that.
    Luckily for me, I have no arthritis lol. The couple of friends I have who do play, can't touch me. My roommate from sophomore year was really good, and we had a pretty intense rivalry. But that was when I was first getting into the game; I'm a way better player now, once I got past using the auto aim on my shots and could pick my spots well. Deadly from the blue line on the power play.

Yep, when I was able to quit using auto aim, that's when things got out of hand. It you could get an open shooting lane it was way too easy to go top shelf every time. I had to turn down my shot speed and accuracy, and ramp up the goalie reaction speed to not blow out teams by ten or more goals. I've not it tuned in now to where I get challenging games without overly frustrating myself either. It's fun to win and I still get ****** when I lose, but going 82-0 through a regular season is a bit unrealistic.

Blog Entries

Yep, when I was able to quit using auto aim, that's when things got out of hand. It you could get an open shooting lane it was way too easy to go top shelf every time. I had to turn down my shot speed and accuracy, and ramp up the goalie reaction speed to not blow out teams by ten or more goals. I've not it tuned in now to where I get challenging games without overly frustrating myself either. It's fun to win and I still get ****** when I lose, but going 82-0 through a regular season is a bit unrealistic.
    Agreed on all counts. The only thing that still stumps me on the preset difficulties is the 5-hole. I still haven't been able to hit that hole, and I don't consider my gaming experience complete until I do (yes, I know that sounds dirty lol).

Once in a while, though, I'll create a player and just make him ungodly good (always for the Blackhawks) and play a season just to see how far I can bend reality. I've been in that kind of mood for about a week or so now, and my starting right winger has 100 points (50 goals, 50 assists) for the 23-0 Hawks. And then Toews and Kaner have 81 and 65 points, both with 30+ goals already.

Not even close to realistic. Wish it was, though
    Last edited by tm3308; 11-02-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Really? Because judging by how many of Fran's top targets have committed elsewhere so far and Iowa has no commitments I'd say recruiting trail has been a struggle so far for Fran for the [insert current recruiting year] class.

I really don't think it would happen but Iowa having a ice hockey team would be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    Agreed on all counts. The only thing that still stumps me on the preset difficulties is the 5-hole. I still haven't been able to hit that hole, and I don't consider my gaming experience complete until I do (yes, I know that sounds dirty lol).

The only way I've beaten a goalie 5-hole has been on a lucky redirect, so don't feel bad.

Blog Entries

The only way I've beaten a goalie 5-hole has been on a lucky redirect, so don't feel bad.
    I've done that several times, but I don't count those lol. I don't think I'll ever do it in an actual game, but I try in shootout mode all the time.

FTR, shootout mode makes for a decent drinking game lol.

Don't forget about the Dubuque Fighting Saints! Champs last year!!!

Quote Originally Posted by imported_Tmoney12 View Post
    You're nephew is a she????
    she as in his mom. sorry, confusing I know.

I would go that would be awesome...i like the riders but im not real attached to them so if iowa went big time I would def go

I live in MN and the Hawks hockey team plays up here at St Thomas in Feb. My two boys play hockey and I hope to take them.
    "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard.... is what makes it great."

I've been a Blackhawks fan since the early 90s, played hockey in my youth and in high school, and still follow the Blackhawks.

It would be interesting to see Iowa throw their hat in the ring.. but there are A LOT of Midwest teams that are already considered major players. We'd definitely take our lickings.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Churlish79 View Post
    I've been a Blackhawks fan since the early 90s, played hockey in my youth and in high school, and still follow the Blackhawks.

It would be interesting to see Iowa throw their hat in the ring.. but there are A LOT of Midwest teams that are already considered major players. We'd definitely take our lickings.
    True. But hell, it'd be worth it for me just to have teams like Wisconsin/Minnesota/etc. coming to town.

The Michigan Directionals, Neb-Omaha, ND, North Dakota.. all top programs.

In addition to Minny and Mich (Look out for them this year), Wisco, Mich State... We could probably be competitive against Ohio State and the future Penn State team.

MN-Duluth was last years Nat'l Champ, Bemidji St, St Cloud St all quality programs
    "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard.... is what makes it great."

HN Legend

Kelly Beaton
    A blurb in the St.PaulPioneerPress this wk: "The buzz is...U.of Iowa is considering a hockey program 2 join Big 10 (around) 2013."Waste of $

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast