Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Dan Bernstein on Penn State apologists

Quote Originally Posted by OO44 View Post
    Response form a lawyer friend of mine in Los Angeles:

"Dan Bernstein has done some real A-hole journalism on this item.

You don't interline your own comments (all of them derogatory)
    into the text of someone else's letter. The proper way for any
    responsible journalist to handle that is to print the entire
    letter with no editing, and then reply with the critic's own
    response which can be as derogatory as he chooses.

On Ron Maly's website, he always prints the person's entire letter
    and then gives us his own comments. Ron Maly is a trained and
    responsible journalist. Dan Bernstein is an A-hole."
    That's some of the dumbest excrement I've ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by DwayneTwill View Post
    For all your questions, you seem pretty convinced.
    Not convinced, look at Syracuse and "This is not Penn State" the basketball coach was in full support, not in just what he said publicly, but keeping a seat open for his trusted friend, until a key fact came out in a recorded phone call and now he is getting sued.
    When Paterno said: "I could have done more" what does that mean really, does he know more, or did he say that to try and appease people? Maybe I am just too much of a skeptic, or naive. If the truth ever comes out then I guess we'll all find out.

I wholeheartedly believe horrible actions took place at Penn State, I am just not ready to jump with both feet on Paterno, the actions by McQueary are puzzling if Sandusky was still allowed to visit the campus. There are just a lot of questions, if Paterno did play a role in covering things up, I would like to see the facts on that.

Quote Originally Posted by sportstalent View Post
    When Paterno said: "I could have done more" what does that mean really, does he know more, or did he say that to try and appease people?
    If he doesn't know anything more than we already know he knew, he knows enough to have been thrown out on his wrinkly old ***.

If he doesn't know anything more than we already know he knew, he knows enough to have been thrown out on his wrinkly old ***.
    Again, not a defense, but what do we really know? With the multiple versions of the McQueary story, what is really known?
    Maybe I am just missing something...must be if I can't condemn him like everyone else.

Again, not a defense, but what do we really know? With the multiple versions of the McQueary story, what is really known?
    Maybe I am just missing something...must be if I can't condemn him like everyone else.
    Sandusky was investigated for soaping up little boys in the PSU showers four years before the McQueary incident. He retired after that investigation, but Paterno allowed him to continue to be around the team and facilities after his retirement where he continued that stuff. To me, that's worse than not calling the cops after McQueary talked to him.

Bernstein nails it again...

Joe Paterno’s life ended today, but it began to end long ago. It began to end when he decided to let Penn State football be a vehicle for serial child-molestation at the hands of his trusted assistant. It continued to end in the infinite moments thereafter, every time he failed to speak up, failed to act, failed to protect, and failed to care.
    Nothing in his life was more important than his grim, cowardly silence. There is no counterbalancing the moral ledger, or any mitigation by anything related to football. For years, he looked the other way while children were being assaulted, and his program was being used to enable the crimes.
    No number of victories stacks up against what these boys and their families lost. Not even 409.

Bernstein: Cry For Victims, Not Paterno CBS Chicago

Bernstein nails it again...
    Joe Paterno�s life ended today, but it began to end long ago. It began to end when he decided to let Penn State football be a vehicle for serial child-molestation at the hands of his trusted assistant. It continued to end in the infinite moments thereafter, every time he failed to speak up, failed to act, failed to protect, and failed to care. Nothing in his life was more important than his grim, cowardly silence. There is no counterbalancing the moral ledger, or any mitigation by anything related to football. For years, he looked the other way while children were being assaulted, and his program was being used to enable the crimes. No number of victories stacks up against what these boys and their families lost. Not even 409....
    Bernstein: Cry For Victims, Not Paterno CBS Chicago

1000% agree.

Quote Originally Posted by OO44 View Post
    Ron Maly is a trained and responsible journalist. Dan Bernstein is an A-hole."
    ron maly is certainly trained, but lets not go overboard on the responsability of a guy fired for plagiarism.

HN Legend

Dan Bernstein is an A hole, no question about it. But on this I completely agree with him. People are celebrating the legacy of Joe Paterno and all I see on ESPN are his great accomplishments with only a token mention of the sex scandal. People in Pennsylvania and at Penn State want to honor a man who allowed someone to use the football facilities to sodomize boys. It was more important to him to protect his legacy and the PSU football program than to make sure these victims got justice. All he did was tell his boss!

Sandusky was investigated for soaping up little boys in the PSU showers four years before the McQueary incident. He retired after that investigation, but Paterno allowed him to continue to be around the team and facilities after his retirement where he continued that stuff. To me, that's worse than not calling the cops after McQueary talked to him.
    In Paterno's last interview he said he didn't know about the first investigation.

Nobody probably believes that either.

I am still one who is not going to condemn the man, but also not defend him at the same time.

Many, many people on the campus of PSU dropped the proverbial ball, it is amazing how one person has absorbed the full brunt of it when he has been proven that he has spoken the truth.
    Hindsight is 20/20 and there are many epic failures that happened at PSU in this situation.

Well, if he said it, it must be true. It's funny how little Paterno supposedly knew.

Where are the names of the investigators of the 1998 event? Why are they not named in Bernsteins witchhunt? Or the other police authorities or district attorneys that did not pursue this matter? No, it is all on Paterno. He is the one. He was all-powerful,but gee, he did get fired, so someone had authority over him.

Paterno should take some heat,but lets list McQuery,and all those other 40 people in every single article on this scandal. But no, Joe is the easy target. Bernstein demanded that Franco Harris and all the rest go to that service and excoriate Paterno, condemn him in strongest terms, in front of his family....that is what Bernstein demanded....and of course he is the arbiter of all that is right in this world.
    He is all-knowing of every single detail of this case, just ask him. ...cuz he read the grand jury leaked summary,which contained only some of the testimony...the testimony the prosecution wanted out there to get an indictment.

Banned
    Waiting for the ground breaking recruiting feature to debut

In Paterno's last interview he said he didn't know about the first investigation.

I find this part extremely hard to believe. Wouldnt Paterno be one of the first people questioned if his DC was being investigated for abusing boys at PSU facilities?

How could the authorities not question Sandusky's direct boss and the person who probably spent the most time around Sandusky?

Quote Originally Posted by Section136 View Post
    I find this part extremely hard to believe. Wouldnt Paterno be one of the first people questioned if his DC was being investigated for abusing boys at PSU facilities?

How could the authorities not question Sandusky's direct boss and the person who probably spent the most time around Sandusky?
    You make my point...it is odd that Paterno wouldn't have known.

When you take a look at the big picture, who are the ones that are charged with criminal acts...his two direct supriors.
    Either it wasn't taken serious at the time or Paterno's direct bosses did what they had to to keep Paterno out of the loop.

There is also the distinct possibility of Paterno lying in an attempt to rationalize it in his head.

What it does show, IMO, is that the intial investigation was not very good, seemingly given all the evidence and testimony that has come out in the past few months. I thik there is a lot more to the intial investigation that will be coming out in the next few months or years that is going to really shine some real negative light at PSU, not specifically at Joe Paterno.

Quote Originally Posted by JHHawk View Post
    Where are the names of the investigators of the 1998 event? Why are they not named in Bernsteins witchhunt? Or the other police authorities or district attorneys that did not pursue this matter? No, it is all on Paterno. He is the one. He was all-powerful,but gee, he did get fired, so someone had authority over him. Paterno should take some heat,but lets list McQuery,and all those other 40 people in every single article on this scandal. But no, Joe is the easy target. Bernstein demanded that Franco Harris and all the rest go to that service and excoriate Paterno, condemn him in strongest terms, in front of his family....that is what Bernstein demanded....and of course he is the arbiter of all that is right in this world.He is all-knowing of every single detail of this case, just ask him. ...cuz he read the grand jury leaked summary,which contained only some of the testimony...the testimony the prosecution wanted out there to get an indictment.
    You don't get what the root of his anger along with most others at 670 is. That's your problem and you likely never will. For that I feel sorry for you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast