Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Please Read: I am interested in your opinion on this matter

Quote Originally Posted by okeefe4prez View Post
    How about LEVEL D - you don't have to give folks any gear or set up exclusionary donor boards and you just let us give you a freaking donation? You don't have to tell us in depth financials or anything, but if there is a number you have in mind, toss it out there with a thermometer or tell us "hey guys, it would be great if I could get a few hundred folks to donate $25 or $50 this year to offset bandwidth costs." I don't use the other Iowa sites and I get all my Hawk news here, but I would gladly chip in for content/bandwidth because I know you're not running with the major traffic driving networks, which keeps opposing fan trolls from hitting the crap out of your board, which I really like.
    This. I would not be particularly interested in HN apparel (although I understand that some would) and sending me the apparel would be a waste of your money. Jeff Gordon gets paid to wear his logos. Until I get paid to do so, I will keep my billboardedness to a minimum.

That said, I value your product and would not be averse from chipping in a few bucks here or there to keep the site up and going.

Banned

All I know is this, if I donate money to any capital venture I expect a share of ownership in return, complete with voting rights.

Banned

Serious question JD, a while back you were openly seeking to hire a sales rep to sell ad space on the sight to local clients. Is that no longer a priority or source of revenue for the site?

Banned
    Blog Entries

I would be OK with it. I am concerned about this leading to even more cliquishness. (is that a word?) I can see it now.
    "Hey, I'm a donor, buddy. I pay for you to be on this site. If you don't like my point of view, get the hell out."

Quote Originally Posted by macgyver4ever View Post
    I am for it for this reason. I don't comment on HawkeyeNation often because of the number of hecklers, trolls, ISU fans, and "mouth breathers" that tend to flock to the site whenever there is news. I'm here every day, 4-5 times a day even during the off season, and rarely speak up. When I do, I usually regret it.

If there was a way to filter out some of the riff-raff, I may contribute more often, but I would be very price sensitive because for the most part, I would not be gaining a lot, except for a voice.

For level A, I would be pressed to donate more than $10/yr. Why? I see it as a magazine subscription.

The other levels are more about wanting HN gear, which would be cool if I lived in Iowa and went to games. If I wore the shirt here in Chicago, I would probably run into OK4P and I would most likely regret that.

HA! You should post more often...

Quote Originally Posted by okeefe4prez View Post
    Totally serial, brah. If JD needs some coin to keep the Nation afloat, he ought to just go ahead and ask. Plus, the only opposing fans we get up in nya are fufred and all the clown fans - I like that because nothing sucks like losing to Minnesota and then having all 19 Goofer fans show up chirping.
    well, not all 19, cuz only 12 cared enough to even check the score Sunday afternoon, and then just 6 were interested enough to go online, all of which did so just to rub it in the opposing fan base's face.
    "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard.... is what makes it great."

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming.

The site has grown a great deal and I love that...there are certain months of the year where ad rates tank, and something like this would just allow me to flatten out the revenue curve a bit. It's not a matter of lack of funds, but I would also make the commitment that 100% of the donated funds would be reinvested into the site...if those funds would far and away cover the bandwidth and technical costs, then the overage would go into some personnel moves I am considering, not into my pocket.

Banned
    Waiting for the ground breaking recruiting feature to debut

Quote Originally Posted by 1hawkeye1 View Post
    I would be OK with it. I am concerned about this leading to even more cliquishness. (is that a word?) I can see it now.
    "Hey, I'm a donor, buddy. I pay for you to be on this site. If you don't like my point of view, get the hell out."
    This is a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
    Serious question JD, a while back you were openly seeking to hire a sales rep to sell ad space on the sight to local clients. Is that no longer a priority or source of revenue for the site?
    Looking at different strategies there. I think there is room for local, but I am thinking of a different avenue than hiring someone to work for us. I think there are possibilities of working with local ad agencies, or just going out and filling a certain number of slots myself this spring.

What about instead of "donor board", you make it a "donor chat" for live events, thus, not having to maintain a separate board/forum all the time?

OTOH, the thought of Thunder, Vintage and a few others PAYING so they stay AWAY from us regular folks has me giddy.

OK4P, you'll still talk to us, right?

In all seriousness, I am on board, anything to help the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Section136 View Post
    This is a good point.
    That's not something I'd want to see...and this is why I tossed this post out here long before I had made up my mind to do it, or not do it, or what it might look like.

you all allow me to do something I really love to do, so I do like to get your input on some of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
    All I know is this, if I donate money to any capital venture I expect a share of ownership in return, complete with voting rights.
    Well, this ain't a securities offering. Anyway, even as a non-paying member of HN, I am of the opinion you have more of a say in its operation than the common shareholder sheep who will line up to buy the Facebook IPO will have in the operation of that business.
    I pledge allegiance to the flag of the University of Iowa, and to the tradition for which it stands, one program, under God, indivisible, with winning and competitiveness sometimes.

"I am growing tired of you..."
    - Jon D. Miller, 11.30.2010

"I am not a fan of ... [OK4P]"
    - Jon D. Miller, 2.13.2008

Not a big fan, you can call it "donations" if you want, but it makes it a pay board. If it's like twenty bucks or something reasonable I'm sure I'll pay. But then i assume I'd spend the majority of my time in that board and forget about everyone on the free board. If it's more then I want to pay, then I'll feel like I'm missing out on percentage of the board. Either way it's less interactions and people contributing to threads and the more participation the more I enjoy the message boards. I like HN as it is and the ads don't bother me at all.

I guess I just don't see the added value of a "donor" board. It could also alienate all of the people that aren't "donors" and I think that could further hurt your ad revenues. As certain information becomes only available on those boards you might see non donors leave.

Quote Originally Posted by 1hawkeye1 View Post
    The Committee and certain cliques (the Fort Dodge and Urbandale Clans to name a few) already look down our noses at you common proles.
    I pledge allegiance to the flag of the University of Iowa, and to the tradition for which it stands, one program, under God, indivisible, with winning and competitiveness sometimes.

"I am growing tired of you..."
    - Jon D. Miller, 11.30.2010

"I am not a fan of ... [OK4P]"
    - Jon D. Miller, 2.13.2008

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast