Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Re: Please Read: I am interested in your opinion on this matter

Quote Originally Posted by clicheusername3 View Post
    No levels, no changes to the site, you either donate or not (set a minimum $). Donators get their usernames in a different color that denotes them as a donator.
    I like this idea.

I've got it. We will have a series of fundraisers where each of us contributes some service and then we sell it. For instance, we could have a bake sale and Spliff45 could bake brownies. When Iowa plays NIU and NU in Chicago and Evanston, I could host a pajama jammy jam at my place and charge for admission. racerhawk could win the Tour de France and donate the funds to HN. Maybe we could have a dance marathon or a race for the cure type event, too. There are a lot of possibilities here, guys. Anyone else got any?
    I pledge allegiance to the flag of the University of Iowa, and to the tradition for which it stands, one program, under God, indivisible, with winning and competitiveness sometimes.

"I am growing tired of you..."
    - Jon D. Miller, 11.30.2010

"I am not a fan of ... [OK4P]"
    - Jon D. Miller, 2.13.2008

Theee Waukee side of WDM via Windsor Heights via West Des Moines via Marshalltown
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by okeefe4prez View Post
    I've got it. We will have a series of fundraisers where each of us contributes some service and then we sell it. For instance, we could have a bake sale and Spliff45 could bake brownies. When Iowa plays NIU and NU in Chicago and Evanston, I could host a pajama jammy jam at my place and charge for admission. racerhawk could win the Tour de France and donate the funds to HN. Maybe we could have a dance marathon or a race for the cure type event, too. There are a lot of possibilities here, guys. Anyone else got any?
    How about a Hawkeye Nation dunk tank at front row for all away games?

I would be more likely to donate if it was simply a donation, as OK$P says. A separate notation by the avatar may be a good idea. Maybe even different colors for different donation levels. Maybe $10 gets you a bronze star, $25 a silver star and $50 a gold star, or something to that effect.

I really don't have any desire to enter a "donor forum", but I would be more than happy to donate from time to time since I get a lot of enjoyment out of this site. I don't see any way you could have a donor only forum without creating a slight degree of animosity between the "haves" and "have nots".

And, Jon, you mentioned that you would put any extra funds back into the site rather than into your own pocket. I wish you would stop worrying about the money going into your pocket... This is what you do and you should not feel guilty for being compensating for it. The more the better in my book.

Lots of good ideas Jon. My thoughts have already been covered.

Banned

Last edited by DuffMan; 02-08-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Section136 View Post
    Good stuff.

Who is the kid walking between Gorney and Neal?
    Brett Wessels

BREWMANIACS.COM - Enthusiastically Obsessed with Beer.

I don't have PMs turned on at this time, please e-mail me: [storminspank at gmail].

Graduate

Yeah like ATL said. If we donate money we don't expect it all to go to the site Jon. We appreciate this place and the work you do. I'd feel bad if you didn't take a decent bit for the work you put into this site.

I think he should team up with Gameday Ron to sell the shirts. Maybe they can even sell Revolt on here and Jon could take a part of the sales.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post
    Thanks for all the comments...a lot of good thoughts to consider. I really appreciate you all taking the time to chime in.

If anything happens along this front, in any form, it won't be until we move from the current vbulletin software to the xenforo software...and with the recruiting project taking precedence right now to be completed by the end of March, that will not happen until April/May.
    March of 2012...or 13?

Quote Originally Posted by trapperjon View Post
    March of 2012...or 13?
    Well played.
    Voted Smoothest Poster on HawkeyeNation by HawkeyeNation.

By popular vote it has been determined that I am atomicblue224. What?

Febuary 8th 2013
    The Assasination of Vin/Scorp. Is srs website.

Vin/Scorps last post - Never Forget.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio79 View Post
    I'ma go to goddy church on sunday and make teh gang-rape jokes
    should go over big with the xtian hypocrites (redundant)

How much money makes you unbannable?

Maybe that's how you make you money....when you ban people for being a-holes or saying ostrich in the sports forums, you charge them money to get back on! You could lower your BST and ban more people for lesser offenses and violá! Cha-Ching.
    2013 Female HN Poster of the Year

"If we make a bowl game I will personally take Minnesota Hawkeye Freak out for a nice steak dinner, and then never call her again." Stanzi 4-8-2013...Still waiting Stanzi...

Jon I would be all in to donate....More substance is important....I was growing tired before DC was announced reading the forums.

HN Legend

Toooooo lazy to read through all of this, so I'm sorry if stuff like this has already been mentioned. A cycling forum that I used to frequent did something like this in order to keep the site free from advertising. Unlike this site, it was run by several people as social forum for the mountain biking community in central Texas. Once the site reached a size where it was becoming too expensive for the founders to keep footing the bill, they all had day jobs and the site was for fun, they asked the users what they thought about donations. Some people didn't like it, but others preferred to pay so they could keep advertisers out of it. What they came up with was various levels of "membership" that got you extra privileges. Depending on your level of membership you could get post pictures directly albums on the site, get expanded PM capacity, email, and a couple of other features that I can't recall at the moment as it's been a few years since I was on there. Oh, and there was a store at cafepress that sold stuff with the forum logo on it.
    Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Quote Originally Posted by okeefe4prez View Post
    maybe justin can get many kegs of homebrewed beers and sel them for cup and im sure they comes for second one but the problem is i dont know beer. i dont drink

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast