Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "I wish KOK would return..."- Words I never thought I would say
    Happily retired from HN since 10-27-2012

My stone cold prediction

Re: If Davis sucks....

Interesting read. I know the purpose of hiring Davis under those conditions wasn't to "have an out"...but would be very interesting to see what happened if we had a completely rubbish season.

(Disclaimer: I'm not hoping for said awful season)

Re:If Davis sucks....

Davis is not a one year hire, and you guys are foolish if you think a bad year would get him axed. You think KF will go from having one OC for 13 years to replacing the new one after one year? Please....

Quote Originally Posted by cjhawks View Post
    Davis is not a one year hire, and you guys are foolish if you think a bad year would get him axed. You think KF will go from having one OC for 13 years to replacing the new one after one year? Please....
    Crack's a helluva drug.
    Someday, I don't know when
    we're gonna get to that place, where we want to go,
    And we'll walk in the sun.
    But till then Tramps Like Us
    Baby we were Born to Run!

You can't imply anything to morons - Ahmet Ertegun.

Guy comes in 2 months before spring practice.....come on he gets atleast 3-4 and by then Kirk might be done coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by HawkForce View Post
    The reporting I'd like to see:

How does this compare with how other schools handle it? In the BIG and elsewhere?
    *** Official Most Erudite Poster - 2011 HN POTY AWARDS ***
    "They were only 46 plays from going undefeated this year. With the talent that CPR has stocked up plus the standout WR from Urbandale coming in, 10-2 is probably a little pessimistic." - OK4P - 12/9/2013

I would not worry about Davis, the O will be ready to go come Sept. I would worry more about Parker, Davis has been around the block I think the Hawks come out next season and finish better than most think they will. But it will be the D that will be the weak link in the up coming season. Davis is a great hire, now that KOK is gone teams will not know what to expect, yeah I know the O wont change that much, but it will be different enough to cause some problems for teams that had a pretty good idea of what we do and would have done on 2nd and 3rd downs.

IF?

wut?
    I feign obedience to the sham
    of the divided states of America
    and to the police-state for which it stands,
    one lie, after another, unaccountable,
    with pay-to-play justice for banksters.
    DarthKinnick

Quote Originally Posted by Ihawks61 View Post
    I would not worry about Davis, the O will be ready to go come Sept. I would worry more about Parker, Davis has been around the block I think the Hawks come out next season and finish better than most think they will. But it will be the D that will be the weak link in the up coming season. Davis is a great hire, now that KOK is gone teams will not know what to expect, yeah I know the O wont change that much, but it will be different enough to cause some problems for teams that had a pretty good idea of what we do and would have done on 2nd and 3rd downs.
    whatever

I don’t see any staff dismissals at the end of one year unless someone just isn’t working out at all. There’s going to be some growing pains. It will take time to come up to speed and some stuff just won’t work out.

Re:If Davis sucks....

Davis will do great once Derby becomes our starter. Our version of Vince young will be great. Go hawks, go Davis and go Derby!!

Senior

Calm down I'm sure every loss will be his fault and every win will be because the other team screwed up.

so if Iowa goes 7-5 or 5-7 he gets labeled a failure and gets the ax next season, boy do we have delusional fans

What I took from the article was that Iowa didn't have enough time to advertise in publications from the time KOK left until the hire date of Davis? Heck, they could have met that timeline just from the time his name first got thrown out there until the day of the press conference announcing his hire, couldn't they?

Can someone explain that better? Was it just a long day at work and I am brain dead, or am I missing something on this?
    Go Hawks!!!!

THawki
    UI Class of 1987

It's an "emergency hire" because they didn't follow the normal posting and hiring procedures before naming him. Because time was an issue and the new OC needed to be in place and up and running before spring drills they enacted some side steps so that Davis could be hired. However, to comply with EOE guidelines next year Iowa will have to go through the whole process in accordance with law. This has nothing to do with creating an "out" and you would be absolutely nuts to think after they properly conduct the hiring process next year that anybody other than Davis is OC.
    ***Most successful person to leave Marshalltown, move to Norwalk via Ames and quote a line from The Big Lebowski in his signature 2010, 2011, and 2012 Award Winner***

I'm gonna go find a cash machine... - The Dude

This one is for you Vin/GoG/Scorp...

"If I leave here tomorrow
    Would you still remember me?
    For I must be traveling on, now
    'Cause there's too many places I've got to see"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast