Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 70
  1. #46

    Re: Greg Davis Transcript from 3/5

    Quote Originally Posted by desihawk View Post
    1. So now we have a OC who is much better than the DC....at meeting the press. A complete reversal compared to the previous staff when Norm usually pasted the floor with Ken.

    2. Very very very very annoying to note that Philbin apparently passed on GD for the KOK.



    I do not understand this notion. KOK was a wide receivers coach when he arrived at Iowa...it was his specialty.
    Greg Davis is a QB coach,and OC...always.
    So,Philbin hired KOK to be his wide receivers coach at Miami...that surprises you?

  2. #47

    Re: Greg Davis Transcript from 3/5

    I guess what I liked the best is........ he wants to win games. I know that sounds simple, but I think the program needed some change to get that edge back. I am very happy with all the moves. I think we will see an improvement on the DL and with GD bringing his talents, along with inspiring the can do and winning attitude the Hawks could have a bright future.
    Get the kids to commit and work hard and we should be right back up there in no time.
    "My only belief is that I don't know sh!t " HawkeyeDug.

    "But at the end of the day, it's good to win, it's bad to lose, and that's really how it is in college football." KF

    "Our opponent right now is ourselves. Our challenge is how much can we improve." RM

  3. #48

    Re: Greg Davis Transcript from 3/5

    Quote Originally Posted by desihawk View Post
    1. So now we have a OC who is much better than the DC....at meeting the press. A complete reversal compared to the previous staff when Norm usually pasted the floor with Ken.

    2. Very very very very annoying to note that Philbin apparently passed on GD for the KOK.
    This. Totally different level of communication. We'll see if Phil just had first time jitters.

  4. #49

    Re: Greg Davis Transcript from 3/5

    i'm giving phil a slight break here. he walked into a presser about him and kirk opened it for him. the first several questions were about davis and not about phil. i could see that getting a little annoying

  5. #50
    Sophomore turfpest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    197

    Re: Greg Davis Transcript from 3/5

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye2011 View Post
    They have phones on sideline to the box. Better in the box to go over what he can see. Frankly KOK was terrible at communication in part because he had no Birdseye view. Erb was an abortion in the box. This is a good deal.

    I doubt Davis is "licking his lips" in regards to JR. he would have very little to evaluate him on. I do think he is excited about the tools JVB brings to table.
    I like the OC in the press box, also. Didn't Bill Snyder call plays from the press box when he was here? Now that guy could call a good game.

  6. #51
    HN Legend BSpringsteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Asbury Park, NJ
    Posts
    4,328

    Re: Greg Davis Transcript from 3/5

    I liked this sentiment...

    Balanced doesn't mean that you run 50 plays and 25 are runs and 25 are passes, balance means that you can win either running the ball or passing the ball.

    I think this hire was made because A) He is qualified, but mostly because B) this is a crucial year for KF at Iowa, and he has the lowest talent level since 2001 on the team.

    If he can bring in a guy that can coach up JVB in 2012, that is his best chance at a 7+ win year.

    The guy is 61 years old - he needs a short term solution.
    Someday, I don't know when
    we're gonna get to that place, where we want to go,
    And we'll walk in the sun.
    But till then Tramps Like Us
    Baby we were Born to Run!

    You can't imply anything to morons - Ahmet Ertegun.

  7. #52
    Graduate INTIMIDATORHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    FBI Surveillance Van
    Posts
    1,061

    Re: Greg Davis Transcript from 3/5

    I'm excited for the fall after reading that. I hope Greg Davis can provide some much needed diversity and fresh perspective with the Iowa play book.

  8. #53
    HN Legend goods10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kansas City via Maryville, MO via Ankeny
    Posts
    2,308

    Re: Greg Davis Transcript from 3/5

    If our new coaches can teach and motivate and we add better in game adjustments on both sides of the ball then Iowa will roll.
    GO HAWKEYES!

    "Nancy Pelosi....I'd do her." - hawktransplant 4-13-11
    "Obama is going down" - Thunderhawk 3-12-12

  9. #54

    Re: Greg Davis Transcript from 3/5

    Quote Originally Posted by JHHawk View Post
    [/B]


    I do not understand this notion. KOK was a wide receivers coach when he arrived at Iowa...it was his specialty.
    Greg Davis is a QB coach,and OC...always.
    So,Philbin hired KOK to be his wide receivers coach at Miami...that surprises you?
    I am not surprised that Philbin went with Ken for reasons noted in other posts and yours. For the record, I am excited about GD and hope for the best.

    I just would've preferred not knowing (at least on GD's first day on the job) that our much maligned previous guy pipped him at the post for the Dophins job because this would imply (note: implication doesn't mean it's true) that Ken is more desirable and that even GD (the guy we hired) was interested in the Miami gig first.

    All said, none of this matters. It reflects my insecurities more than than anything negative about the manicured Texan.

  10. #55

    Re: Greg Davis Transcript from 3/5

    It's not that you run 35 and you throw 35; it's that you can win the game, and whatever that day dictates, you'll be able to win the game.
    Scratch where it itches is back!!!
    Iowa will win the B1G next year. - Me (04-18-2012)

  11. #56

    Re: Greg Davis Transcript from 3/5

    Quote Originally Posted by desihawk View Post
    I am not surprised that Philbin went with Ken for reasons noted in other posts and yours. For the record, I am excited about GD and hope for the best.

    I just would've preferred not knowing (at least on GD's first day on the job) that our much maligned previous guy pipped him at the post for the Dophins job because this would imply (note: implication doesn't mean it's true) that Ken is more desirable and that even GD (the guy we hired) was interested in the Miami gig first.

    All said, none of this matters. It reflects my insecurities more than than anything negative about the manicured Texan.
    I hear you,but to me KOK and Davis were not even being considered for the same job at Miami. KOK for WR coach. Davis,maybe for OC.
    You could even make the case that Philbin never considered KOK for OC at Miami,but did consider Davis,implying that Davis was the superior OC candidate.

    In the end, I doubt that Philbins phone comments really mean much at all.

  12. #57

    Re: Greg Davis Transcript from 3/5

    Quote Originally Posted by JHHawk View Post
    [/B]


    I do not understand this notion. KOK was a wide receivers coach when he arrived at Iowa...it was his specialty.
    Greg Davis is a QB coach,and OC...always.
    So,Philbin hired KOK to be his wide receivers coach at Miami...that surprises you?

    I thought KOK was going to coach the QBs?

    Nevermind, saw this http://thegazette.com/2012/02/23/mia...n-okeefe-hire/

    Wasn't the original rumor that he was coaching QBs?
    Last edited by IOWuh; 03-06-2012 at 11:59 AM.

  13. #58
    Graduate hogeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,054

    Re: Greg Davis Transcript from 3/5

    Quote Originally Posted by IOWuh View Post
    I thought KOK was going to coach the QBs?

    Nevermind, saw this Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin ‘delighted’ about Ken O’Keefe hire | TheGazette

    Wasn't the original rumor that he was coaching QBs?
    All I ever heard was WR's, so unless you're talking about some knuckleheads on a message board that possibly were talking I don't believe so. Media sources only ever stated WR's that I read.

  14. #59

    Re:Greg Davis Transcript from 3/5

    ******

  15. #60

    Re: Greg Davis Transcript from 3/5

    Quote Originally Posted by hogeye View Post
    All I ever heard was WR's, so unless you're talking about some knuckleheads on a message board that possibly were talking I don't believe so. Media sources only ever stated WR's that I read.
    I only heard QBs. Maybe I'm one of the knuckleheads.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •