Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 65
  1. #31

    Re: Another Lane Violation (Notre Dame)

    Quote Originally Posted by BumpThaBurrito View Post
    i undersand why you wod get mad if foul is called wen no foul is done. why you getting mad wen rule is broke and they call foul tho. if rule is broke. you call foul. no.
    the announcers said the rule was whenthe ball is released. I was corrected and it was probably the correct call, but it would not have impacted the game, because he made it.

  2. #32

    Re: Another Lane Violation (Notre Dame)

    Mike Stuart, a member of the three-man officiating crew that worked the game, said in a prepared statement about the call: "The rule is that anyone outside the 3-point arc is under the same restrictions as the free throw shooter. They cannot penetrate the arc until the ball hits the rim, in which case No. 22 [Grant] was clearly way down in the lane before the ball ever hit. It's an obvious violation, by the rule."

  3. #33
    HN Legend HawkPrdatr40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Owatonna, MN
    Posts
    6,143

    Re: Another Lane Violation (Notre Dame)

    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverHawk View Post
    The right call was made in the Creighton game. It can't be the wrong call in the Notre Dame game if it was the correct call, right?
    Like I said let the players decide the ending of the game. Creighton Official swallowed the whistle and the ND game ended because officials decided to blow his with 2.8 seconds on a made free throw to cut the game to 1 with another FT attempt coming. LMAO. The game ended on that officials call and what a ridiculous call that was. Sorry I maybe in the minority but I think that is weak!!
    Last edited by HawkPrdatr40; 03-17-2012 at 09:41 AM.

  4. #34
    HN Legend tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    13,730
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Another Lane Violation (Notre Dame)

    Quote Originally Posted by H8IAST8 View Post
    the announcers said the rule was whenthe ball is released. I was corrected and it was probably the correct call, but it would not have impacted the game, because he made it.
    While that's ultimately true, then blow the whistle when the violation occurs. They don't wait to see the result of the play. It's like a false start in football. You see the foul, you blow the whistle, and what happens immediately after that is irrelevant.
    HawkeyeRyno's yearly assessment of Fran's recruiting:

    Really? Because judging by how many of Fran's top targets have committed elsewhere so far and Iowa has no commitments I'd say recruiting trail has been a struggle so far for Fran for the [insert current recruiting year] class.

  5. #35
    HN Legend tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    13,730
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Another Lane Violation (Notre Dame)

    Quote Originally Posted by HawkPrdatr40 View Post
    Like I said let the players decide the ending of the game. Creighton Official swallowed the whistle and the ND game ended because officials decided to blow his with 2.8 seconds on a made free throw to cut the game to 1 with another FT attempt coming. LMAO. Good quality Officiating isn't blowing whistle and injecting themselves into the game at that point.
    Good, quality officiating is enforcing the rules when they are BLATANTLY violated, regardless of how much time is left. This wasn't a Hightower or Valentine call, for Christ's sake.
    HawkeyeRyno's yearly assessment of Fran's recruiting:

    Really? Because judging by how many of Fran's top targets have committed elsewhere so far and Iowa has no commitments I'd say recruiting trail has been a struggle so far for Fran for the [insert current recruiting year] class.

  6. #36
    HN Legend HawkPrdatr40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Owatonna, MN
    Posts
    6,143

    Re: Another Lane Violation (Notre Dame)

    Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    Good, quality officiating is enforcing the rules when they are BLATANTLY violated, regardless of how much time is left. This wasn't a Hightower or Valentine call, for Christ's sake.
    Well I disagree TM. Just my opinion. I respect your stance.

  7. #37
    HN Legend HawkPrdatr40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Owatonna, MN
    Posts
    6,143

    Re: Another Lane Violation (Notre Dame)

    I think good quality officials do try to take themselves out of the result in very close contested games, you will see it today. Game gets under 10 seconds to play they will swallow the whistle and let the team decide the outcome.

  8. #38
    HN Legend tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    13,730
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Another Lane Violation (Notre Dame)

    Quote Originally Posted by HawkPrdatr40 View Post
    Well I disagree TM. Just my opinion. I respect your stance.
    I just don't understand the idea that blowing the whistle on a clear violation is injection yourself into the action, when NOT calling it has an equal impact (only it negatively impacts the other team). It's one thing to let ticky-tack "fouls" go (I despise those calls no matter when they occur). But blatantly obvious fouls/violations have to be called regardless of the situation.

    A good official isn't afraid of the controversy/public reaction. If you're afraid to make the call that has to be made, all because people are going to get ****** about it, then you shouldn't be an official in the first place.
    HawkeyeRyno's yearly assessment of Fran's recruiting:

    Really? Because judging by how many of Fran's top targets have committed elsewhere so far and Iowa has no commitments I'd say recruiting trail has been a struggle so far for Fran for the [insert current recruiting year] class.

  9. #39

    Re: Another Lane Violation (Notre Dame)

    Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    I just don't understand the idea that blowing the whistle on a clear violation is injection yourself into the action, when NOT calling it has an equal impact (only it negatively impacts the other team). It's one thing to let ticky-tack "fouls" go (I despise those calls no matter when they occur). But blatantly obvious fouls/violations have to be called regardless of the situation.
    This. Letting a player hack a shooter in the closing seconds is not letting the players decide the game. It is allowing the defending team to "cheat". A foul is a foul whether in the opening minute of the game or the final seconds.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Banned
    Posts
    13,692

    Re: Another Lane Violation (Notre Dame)

    Quote Originally Posted by Iowatailgate View Post
    Here is the video from tonight if anyone missed it:[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiPODjwgPvA]Notre Dame lane violation vs. Xavier. Blown call? Controversial? - YouTube[/ame]The guy didn't even come close to getting the rebound(if it was a miss).Seems like a dumb rule to me. It's funny because nobody has ever heard of this rule until yesterday.I'm sure it has happened plenty of times during the regular season. Funny how it has never been called before.
    wait, fans don't know the rules of the game and complain all the time anyway? I'm shocked...

  11. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Waiting for the ground breaking recruiting feature to debut
    Posts
    7,131

    Re: Another Lane Violation (Notre Dame)

    Quote Originally Posted by HawkPrdatr40 View Post
    I think good quality officials do try to take themselves out of the result in very close contested games, you will see it today. Game gets under 10 seconds to play they will swallow the whistle and let the team decide the outcome.
    I hate when refs do this. A foul is a foul whether its in the 1st half or there is 10 seconds left in the game.

    The teams are deciding the outcome of the game. One team decided to get aggressive and take it to the hoop with time winding down and the other team decided to play poor defense and foul.

  12. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Banned
    Posts
    13,692

    Re: Another Lane Violation (Notre Dame)

    its a good rule, and it was a correct call. nothing to see here other than a bunch of people who don't let the fact they don't understand the rules get in the way of them complaining about the officiating. I see it four nights a week during the basketball season.

  13. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Waiting for the ground breaking recruiting feature to debut
    Posts
    7,131

    Re: Another Lane Violation (Notre Dame)

    Quote Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
    I see it four nights a week during the basketball season.
    Dont be such a sh!tty ref then.

  14. #44

    Re: Another Lane Violation (Notre Dame)

    Quote Originally Posted by H8IAST8 View Post
    the announcers said the rule was whenthe ball is released. I was corrected and it was probably the correct call, but it would not have impacted the game, because he made it.
    The call did impact the game. The free throw was taken off the board & the ball was given to Xavier. Also, the Notre Dame player did not get to take another free throw.

  15. #45

    Re: Another Lane Violation (Notre Dame)

    Quote Originally Posted by HawkPrdatr40 View Post
    Like I said let the players decide the ending of the game. Creighton Official swallowed the whistle and the ND game ended because officials decided to blow his with 2.8 seconds on a made free throw to cut the game to 1 with another FT attempt coming. LMAO. The game ended on that officials call and what a ridiculous call that was. Sorry I maybe in the minority but I think that is weak!!
    By your logic, if the free throw was missed, Notre Dame got the rebound, attempted a three to win the game & there was obvious goal tending on the shot; the refs should ignore the goal tending. You can't have it both ways. According to your logic that would be weak.

    Either you are clueless or a rabid Irish fan.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •