Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Re: I just want to get this post out of the way now

Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post
    Iowa is a developmental program for the most part, and they have a great track record of that along the DL.
    One thing I've always wondered Jon is that we always seem to have around the same recruiting class, maybe a little better, maybe a little worse. We are excellent at sending lesser talents to the pros, but you'd think at some point that would be a great selling point to get more highly talented recruits to come here.

I get the logistics of are recruiting area, but I've always wondered with Iowa's pro track record why hasn't that attracted more talent?

HN Legend
    Blog Entries

Think were talking about the same guy here. Got to get them here first.

Jon:

Don't worry. I was posting this same information before last season. It was clearly evident what was coming down the pike this year.

This has been why I have been so insistent on the KF 3 year up and 3 year down cycle still being in effect. There was just no way to stop the slide

Gotta feel a bit bad for Morris.

HN Legend

Guys who were not highly recruited and starred on the Iowa DL:KingKroulKlugClaussBabineauxBinnsDanielsDevelopment. But when they don't stick around you can't develop them
    i might even add roth to this list. even though he was higher rated i believe that was as a lb and he switched to de. correct me if i am remembering wrong, but we have had people go that way which shows us as developmental too.

Roth was not a developmental player. Yes he was an extremely highly ranked Linebacker that moved to D line, but he had a great year as a sophomore on the 2002 team. To me he just switched positions but I wouldn't call him a developmental player.

Iowa has had an attrition problem. That's an issue that I hope has been rectified with some staff changes, one who became the DL coach in...2007. If it continues then that is a bigger problem.

As for the highest rate D player the last three years being Anthony Ferguson, I am pretty sure Cooper was a 4*...as were Johnson and Ekakitie
    You might want to run this by Chad before you go making wild claims like that.

Re:I just want to get this post out of the way now

I'm kind of glad I have to work on Saturday's this year, much easier to accept when following game on my phone. Hopefully less 3 and outs with KOK gone so our D will get a breather... KOK was horrible.

Just holding out hope that Reese can build a surprise or two on the DL.

Wait, didn't you predict 12-0 two years ago? How did that turn out? Perhaps we can let this spring play out before we predict doom and gloom?

KF allowing that attrition to continue as long and as systematically as he did may ultimately end up being his waterloo.

I see anywhere between 5-8 wins next year and agree with Jon that 6 seems likely. I also think it is entirely possible that Iowa starts 5-1, and ends 1-5.

2013 is going to be a very hot seat for Kirk, no way around it, and ultimately, he'll have no one but himself to blame for it. He knows this too - that is why all the public talk about reexamining things this off season... he is trying to tell the public that he gets it, that 4-4 isn't good enough.
    Someday, I don't know when
    we're gonna get to that place, where we want to go,
    And we'll walk in the sun.
    But till then Tramps Like Us
    Baby we were Born to Run!

You can't imply anything to morons - Ahmet Ertegun.

Just because a team may lack experience doesn't mean they won't be good. KF usually plays upperclassmen but this year is forced to play the young guys and it could pan out. I'm not expecting a great D but I'm also not expecting NW D type of year. Nothing we can do about it except sit back and play couch coach all year.

At least we have basketball....

Quote Originally Posted by WhitUp View Post
    One thing I've always wondered Jon is that we always seem to have around the same recruiting class, maybe a little better, maybe a little worse. We are excellent at sending lesser talents to the pros, but you'd think at some point that would be a great selling point to get more highly talented recruits to come here.

I get the logistics of are recruiting area, but I've always wondered with Iowa's pro track record why hasn't that attracted more talent?
    Losing to Minny.
    If you have a problem with one of my posts please contact ChrisABraden.

"...the program sucks, he is a terrible D1 coach, KF is delusional,.... Deanvogs

^^^He didnt mean it like that, thats only part of his quote......the best part^^^

3:40 2nd Iowa 4th & 13 at Neb30 Wienke punts. Touchback. Ball on Neb20.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitUp View Post

Iowa's DL recruiting has been on the uptick the last two classes.

While I agree that the 2012 defense won't be the saltiest one KF has put out yet, there is no way it will be as bad as the 2000 version. It is outrageous to even suggest (even if it's simply to provide cover for GD's rear end) this.

Just look at the personnel (talent/size/speed) and it's obvious. The secondary in 2000 featured starters like Tim Dodge, Shane Hall, Ryan Hansen, Mikkel Brown. LBs were Barr, Steen, Woods but in 2000 only Woods was any good. On the D-line we had a big body in Pickens at DT and the So version of Kampman at DE (?). Not sure who else.

In 2012 we could play any combination of 4 sub-200lb guys in the secondary and be 5 times better. At LB, we are deep and decent with Kirksey, Morris, Hitchens, Morris, Dibona...all quality players. On the DL, we are likely going to line-up Carl Davis (6'5"300lb), and Cooper (6'2"280lb) at DT; McMinn (6'7"250lb), and Alvis (270lb) at DE. Backups will include Spears, Trinca-pasat, Hardy, Tsiponades. A couple of the back-ups (Spears and Trinca) have been mentioned in the past to be excellent in practice.

We should be solid (let's say 4-6th best in B10) on D in 2012. That said I am all for sand-bagging for the next 6 months if it means opponents will come in overconfident and expecting to score like they are playing against Fran's team.
    Last edited by desihawk; 03-20-2012 at 09:09 PM.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast