Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: 2015 & 2016 Big Ten Scheds Released Monday at 9a

Illinois? They're in the B1G?
    ***Most successful person to leave Marshalltown, move to Norwalk via Ames and quote a line from The Big Lebowski in his signature 2010, 2011, and 2012 Award Winner***

I'm gonna go find a cash machine... - The Dude

This one is for you Vin/GoG/Scorp...

"If I leave here tomorrow
    Would you still remember me?
    For I must be traveling on, now
    'Cause there's too many places I've got to see"

Quote Originally Posted by Section136 View Post
    Why is it considered an "established history"? Because they play for a brass spittoon? Who cares.
    Yes. The problem is that you're arguing the point of a clear established history under the pretense of whether it's a relevant, valuable rivalry. No one it arguing that it's a great rivalry worth protecting on those merits alone.

That said, there are 4 of 6 rivalries that were clearly worth protecting. It doesn't really make sense to have the remaining 4 teams alternate especially when you consider the fact that the brass spittoon was already established and in place.

Iowa continues to be Delany's red-headed stepchild of the league. Delany himself admitted that the Iowa/Wis. series was the one serious rivalry that was not accomadated with the non-geographical divisional split....and then he turns the knife by not putting Wis on Iowa schedule for 4 of the first 6 years of the new setup....way to roll over for Big Jim,Gary Barta!

But hey, we do get Purdue every single year to eternity,so that tremendous historic rivalry lives on!!

you know what would have made sense? A geographical split....you know, like what most conferences do.
    I imagine when the B1G expands again they will do the splits much better next time.

Banned
    Waiting for the ground breaking recruiting feature to debut

Quote Originally Posted by JHHawk View Post
    Iowa continues to be Delany's red-headed stepchild of the league. Delany himself admitted that the Iowa/Wis. series was the one serious rivalry that was not accomadated with the non-geographical divisional split....and then he turns the knife by not putting Wis on Iowa schedule for 4 of the first 6 years of the new setup....way to roll over for Big Jim,Gary Barta!

But hey, we do get Purdue every single year to eternity,so that tremendous historic rivalry lives on!!

Yeah its all Gary Barta's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by FML View Post
    you know what would have made sense? A geographical split....you know, like what most conferences do.
    I imagine when the B1G expands again they will do the splits much better next time.
    Too many strong teams in the East.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yeah its all Gary Barta's fault.
    If Delaney doesn't play ball, Gary should threaten to take his low enrollment, small market, mediocre academic school and walk.

why do we pay for games versus FCS teams that are not named UNI?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hogeye View Post
    Yes. The problem is that you're arguing the point of a clear established history under the pretense of whether it's a relevant, valuable rivalry. No one it arguing that it's a great rivalry worth protecting on those merits alone.

That said, there are 4 of 6 rivalries that were clearly worth protecting. It doesn't really make sense to have the remaining 4 teams alternate especially when you consider the fact that the brass spittoon was already established and in place.

I will argue that only 2 of the 6 "rivalry" matchups are considered rivalries worth protecting. Minny/Wisky and OSU/UM.

Nobody outside of Illinois cares about Ill/NW, hell a lot of the people in Illinois dont even care about that game.

Penn State/Nebraska will move the needle but I would hardly consdier it a rivalry.

Iowa/Purdue and MSU/Indiana both suck and no brass spittoon is going to change my mind.

Just because some of the teams have played each other for 60+ years does not mean its a rivalry worth protecting.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofBTT View Post
    If Delaney doesn't play ball, Gary should threaten to take his low enrollment, small market, mediocre academic school and walk.

Right on. GarBar FTW!!!

Just because some of the teams have played each other for 60+ years does not mean its a rivalry worth protecting.
    Yet you're okay with protecting Minnesota and Wisconsin. That's backwards.

Banned

Yet you're okay with protecting Minnesota and Wisconsin. That's backwards.
    Yep, I am okay with that.

Junior

Protected cross division rivals aside, our new division rivalry w/ Nebraska is having that game move to Saturdays. None of the future Heroes games are scheduled for Black Friday.

The best part about this thread is that most of the people complaining about playing Wisky less, also are excited about future conference expansion.

I for one hope we don't see any further expansion, because then all tradition is lost and we will essentially be playing in a new conference. How about, just agree to have your conference champions play at the end of the year, instead of making a 20 team super conference...Rose Bowl sounds like a nice place for 2 conferences to meet.

Quote Originally Posted by bitmap View Post
    Protected cross division rivals aside, our new division rivalry w/ Nebraska is having that game move to Saturdays. None of the future Heroes games are scheduled for Black Friday.
    My guess is they didn't want to add an extra date in the schedule release with just Neb/Iowa on it.
    Last edited by kuhntz; 05-21-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Too many strong teams in the East.
    False.

East champion would likely be OSU/UM/PSU 9 of 10 years.
    West champion would likely be UW/NEB/IA most years.

My opinion that makes a pretty good championship game every year.

I think UM and PSU get far too much credit than they deserve. Look back at the last 10 years, I'd take UM and PSU on my schedule any day over UW and NEB. OSU is the only true powerhouse in our league.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast