Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Hit PSU where it hurts, not the region

Quote Originally Posted by ssckelley View Post
    You close down the football program for a couple of years, but not the university. Penn State is a good research institution, one of the leaders in cancer research. Why throw all that away because people got stupid trying to protect the legacy of Joe Paterno and the football program?
    I'll just say that if all those involved (including the PSU pres and VP) go to jail and heavy punishments are handed out to the football program, and that is all that happens, then I will be good with that. I'm not necessarily asking for the Unversity itself to go down.

You close down the football program for a couple of years, but not the university. Penn State is a good research institution, one of the leaders in cancer research. Why throw all that away because people got stupid trying to protect the legacy of Joe Paterno and the football program?
    Do you have any idea how much money JoePa brought into the university? All that money is tainted, if you really want to punish PSU to the full extent you need to close down the enitre university.

HN Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan33 View Post
    Do you have any idea how much money JoePa brought into the university? All that money is tainted, if you really want to punish PSU to the full extent you need to close down the enitre university.
    There is nothing to be gained by shutting down the entire institution and a lot to be lost. Cancer affects thousands of lives, perhaps millions, so they discontinue their cancer research and shut it down because there were 4 people in a high rank that made the wrong decision? The entire issue at Penn State circles around 1 person who they gave way to much power to and the football program. A message needs to be sent and punishment needs to be handed out, shutting down the football program accomplishes this. Shutting down the university hurts innocent people beyond those that work or attend Penn State.

You know, if Iowa has to take a hit of several million dollars to confirm the principle that child welfare > games, then that's a sacrifice we all ought to be willing to make. You can recoup money. Integrity? Not so much.

Will shutting down PSU cause collateral damage to the other B1G schools, its fans, TV, etc.? Yes. Hell yes it will.

So what?
    I am now ThunderHawk, Inc. I am a Corporate SuperPerson(TM). I am immortal, my liability is limited, and I own the government. Just do what I say and nobody gets hurt.

www.14ers.com

http://www.aecf.org/MajorInitiatives/KIDSCOUNT.aspx

There is nothing to be gained by shutting down the entire institution and a lot to be lost. Cancer affects thousands of lives, perhaps millions, so they discontinue their cancer research and shut it down because there were 4 people in a high rank that made the wrong decision? The entire issue at Penn State circles around 1 person who they gave way to much power to and the football program. A message needs to be sent and punishment needs to be handed out, shutting down the football program accomplishes this. Shutting down the university hurts innocent people beyond those that work or attend Penn State.
    Two things:

33 is a f'n troll. He's trolling on behalf of Pedo State. I'll leave the judgment as to what that says about him to the rest of you. My opinion is well known.

Second, PSU is in fact a top notch academic institution and it should not be shut down. But its goddamn football program should be shut down so that its goddamn football program knows its place once and for all, and so that football programs around the nation are also clued in to their subordinate status.

Football is entertainment. That's all it is.
    I am now ThunderHawk, Inc. I am a Corporate SuperPerson(TM). I am immortal, my liability is limited, and I own the government. Just do what I say and nobody gets hurt.

www.14ers.com

Ok, so there were only four people involved, and only one directly employeed by the football program, yet only the football program should get shut down? The AD was involved so you have to shut down all sports, the university president was involved so that means the whole university should go down too, right?

Won't shutting down the football program hurt thousands of innocent people whose jobs rely on the money brought in by the PSU football programs?

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderHawk View Post
    Two things:

33 is a f'n troll. He's trolling on behalf of Pedo State. I'll leave the judgment as to what that says about him to the rest of you. My opinion is well known.

Second, PSU is in fact a top notch academic institution and it should not be shut down. But its goddamn football program should be shut down so that its goddamn football program knows its place once and for all, and so that football programs around the nation are also clued in to their subordinate status.

Football is entertainment. That's all it is.
    LOL if I'm trolling on anything it's irrational lunatics like yourself.

Ok, so there were only four people involved, and only one directly employeed by the football program, yet only the football program should get shut down? The AD was involved so you have to shut down all sports, the university president was involved so that means the whole university should go down too, right?

Won't shutting down the football program hurt thousands of innocent people whose jobs rely on the money brought in by the PSU football programs?

www.14ers.com

HN Doctorate

I would actually enjoy watching PSU keep their football team with very limited scholarships, much like Boss said. Bascially give them enough to field a team but no more.

Having to watch their beloved program turn into Northwestern circa 1980s would be fantastic for all of the delusional fans.

HN Legend

Wow, you really flipped the argument on me. So you go from arguing to shut down the entire university to now arguing to not shut down the football program. You just proved Thunderhawks point that you are a troll.

Shutting down the football program affects those that eat, breath, and sleep PSU football. You can still pay the coaching staff and the players can go other places. I don't know who all these "thousands of innocent people" are who rely on the money brought into the football program. That money goes back into their athletic department. Perhaps the swim team will have to wait on new uniforms, womens soccer will have to cut back on expenses, or maybe they will have to wait on getting D1 hockey. You cut the revenue from the football program you are impacting all the sports at Penn State. But the people and the students associated with those programs have other options and it is a fraction of those impacted than if you shut down the entire Penn State institution.

Wow, you really flipped the argument on me. So you go from arguing to shut down the entire university to now arguing to not shut down the football program. You just proved Thunderhawks point that you are a troll.

Shutting down the football program affects those that eat, breath, and sleep PSU football. You can still pay the coaching staff and the players can go other places. I don't know who all these "thousands of innocent people" are who rely on the money brought into the football program. That money goes back into their athletic department. Perhaps the swim team will have to wait on new uniforms, womens soccer will have to cut back on expenses, or maybe they will have to wait on getting D1 hockey. You cut the revenue from the football program you are impacting all the sports at Penn State. But the people and the students associated with those programs have other options and it is a fraction of those impacted than if you shut down the entire Penn State institution.
    Each home football game brings in ___ millions of dollars for the local economy. Shutting down football effects the employment of the cleaning lady at Hotel XYZ, the guy who owns the local pizza parlor, the steel worker in Pittsburg that hoped to send his daughter on a scholly to PSU, and on and on. This then effects the convenience station from which they buy their gas, the landlord/bank to which they pay their rents/mortgage, the tax base to which they pay for the fire department, etc.

Shutting down football would have a devastating effect on the region, in which reside many people who pay little mind to PSU football if any at all. They're busy trying to live their lives, pay their bills, raise their kids, etc.

Some think the collateral damage caused by shutting down PSU football is worth it to prove their point. I respectfully disagree (although I've been severely tempted to disrespectfully disagree over recent days on this board.) I don't think such action will prove much of the point they are trying to make and I think it will adversely affect many innocent people, even going so far as to devastate some of them.
    "You people need to grow up and learn some etiquette." -ThunderHawk, 11/3/2011

HN Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan340 View Post
    Each home football game brings in ___ millions of dollars for the local economy. Shutting down football effects the employment of the cleaning lady at Hotel XYZ, the guy who owns the local pizza parlor, the steel worker in Pittsburg that hoped to send his daughter on a scholly to PSU, and on and on. This then effects the convenience station from which they buy their gas, the landlord/bank to which they pay their rents/mortgage, the tax base to which they pay for the fire department, etc.

Shutting down football would have a devastating effect on the region, in which reside many people who pay little mind to PSU football if any at all. They're busy trying to live their lives, pay their bills, raise their kids, etc.

Some think the collateral damage caused by shutting down PSU football is worth it to prove their point. I respectfully disagree (although I've been severely tempted to disrespectfully disagree over recent days on this board.) I don't think such action will prove much of the point they are trying to make and I think it will adversely affect many innocent people, even going so far as to devastate some of them.
    If this is what it takes to prevent something like this from happening again then I am ok with these sacrifices. Football should not be bigger than the institution and this message needs to be sent across the country from the SEC, Big12, B1G, to the Pac14. The money produced from football has been driving a culture that football rules everything. Football is just a game and these schools need to get back to being an institution for higher learning. If a cleaning lady has to relocate because she cannot get work in Happy Valley anymore then so be it. The money is still there, it does not vanish, but it gets spent on other forms of entertainment. While the pizza parlor guy loses revenue perhaps the local bowling alley has to expand due to extra business on Saturday nights. Perhaps a kid instead of working at a convenience store now gets a job at the Movie Theater. As far as the rest of the football money from tv revenues and such, perhaps more of it would get thrown Iowa's way instead of Penn State.
    Last edited by ssckelley; 07-18-2012 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
    I would actually enjoy watching PSU keep their football team with very limited scholarships, much like Boss said. Bascially give them enough to field a team but no more.

Having to watch their beloved program turn into Northwestern circa 1980s would be fantastic for all of the delusional fans.
    The more I think about it the more I like this idea.
    Official 2011 HN Award Winner

"True Hawk fan of the year nationalchamps"

- OK4P 12/31/11

THE official voice of reason of HawkeyeNation.

HN Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post

Quote Originally Posted by nationalchamps View Post
    The more I think about it the more I like this idea.
    Those delusional fans would still send their sons there to play football. Penn State will never turn into a mid 80s Northwestern as there is to much talent in PA & NJ. They would get the best football players with whatever scholarships you give them and they would probably get one of the best walk on group in the country. Keep in mind with all of these allegations going on and rumors of death penalty Penn State still has the #15 ranked recruiting class for 2013 with a majority of those recruits being from PA & NJ. The people over there are still in denial and they still think Penn State football is king.

If this is what it takes to prevent something like this from happening again then I am ok with these sacrifices. Football should not be bigger than the institution and this message needs to be sent across the country from the SEC, Big12, B1G, to the Pac14. The money produced from football has been driving a culture that football rules everything. Football is just a game and these schools need to get back to being an institution for higher learning. If a cleaning lady has to relocate because she cannot get work in Happy Valley anymore then so be it. The money is still there, it does not vanish, but it gets spent on other forms of entertainment. While the pizza parlor guy loses revenue perhaps the local bowling alley has to expand due to extra business on Saturday nights. Perhaps a kid instead of working at a convenience store now gets a job at the Movie Theater. As far as the rest of the football money from tv revenues and such, perhaps more of it would get thrown Iowa's way instead of Penn State.
    What's to say the death penalty would prevent it from happening again? Did SMU getting the death penalty prevent other schools from paying players again?

How many of you people arguing that "the culture" needs to change are also proponents of a playoff system? People want to have it both ways.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast