Jon Miller & Rob Howe offer their Big Ten Basketball Power Rankings as of games played through 1/8.
1. PURDUE: Held serve at home v Wisconsin in only meeting vs the Badgers
2. WISCONSIN: Their three losses are to Pomeroy Top 20 teams
3. MICHIGAN ST: I think there is a drop off from Badgers to Spartans, for now
4. MINNESOTA: They are a dangerous, athletic team that is fun to watch
5. NEBRASKA: Wins at Indiana and Maryland still stand out
6. INDIANA: Feels like a typical Crean team; can rise up, but will disappoint
7. NORTHWESTERN: Caught Nebraska coming off a triple OT game, Huskers were sluggish
8. MARYLAND: Home game against Indiana Tuesday night will be a nice guage
9. PENN STATE: Double-digit, neutral court win over Michigan State an eye opener
10. IOWA: Expect inconsistency. Enjoy the rebuilding process
11. MICHIGAN: Something seems amiss in Beilein’s program
12. ILLINOIS: This will be John Groce’s last year in Champaign
13. OHIO STATE: 5th, 6th & 7th place finishes last three years..going the wrong way
14. RUTGERS: 0-21 all time on the road in the B1G, but better than last year
Related In HawkeyeNation Forums
1. PURDUE: A home win against Wisconsin gives Boilers tenuous hold on top spot.
2. WISCONSIN: Three losses are to Purdue, Creighton and North Carolina.
3. MINNESOTA: One of surprise teams in country, Gophers already with two B1G road wins.
4. MICHIGAN STATE: After early injuries, Spartans rounding into form despite loss to PSU.
5. NEBRASKA: One of the league’s best backcourts helped Huskers win at Indiana and Maryland.
6. NORTHWESTERN: Chris Collins’ solid recruiting starting to pay off.
7. INDIANA: Hit a rough patch here but still boasts talent that beat UNC and Kansas this season.
8. MARYLAND: Melo Trimble with four new starters has knocked Terps back in the pack.
9. PENN STATE: Nittany Lions slight edge over Iowa by virtue of win against MSU.
10. IOWA: Learning from mistakes, potential here to move up if it continues.
11. ILLINOIS: Lost at Indiana and Maryland, two places at which Nebraska won.
12. MICHIGAN: Some solid pieces here but haven’t yet to come together.
13. OHIO STATE: Talented but disjointed.
14. RUTGERS: Program is improved but bar was low.