Search Pace Slows; Saturday Links

March 27, 2010

Written by Jon Miller

Credible news on the coaching search front has been tougher to come by in the last 24 hours…several of the same names getting rehashed and the like, but that has been most of what I have heard. I would say the chances of Iowa hiring a coach this coming week are about 60 percent, with the other 40 percent being after the Final Four has taken place.

Dayton’s Brian Gregory plays in the NIT Final Four on Wednesday; the title game for that event is Thursday. If Scott Drew of Baylor is a legit candidate in Gary Barta’s book, he could be done on Sunday as the Bears play Duke…then again, I would not be shocked to see them win that game. Drew would seem like the only legit candidate still in consideration of coaches still in the Big Dance. One possible exception is Tennessee Assistant Steve Forbes, who I consider to be a backburner thought for Barta and the search committee.

There were several tweets from St. Louis last night that Keno Davis’ name was resurfacing, but no one really placed much in that other than it was rumors swirling. Keno has come out and said that he is not interested in the job.

The longer this goes, the more the B.J. Armstrong notion remains in the game, in my opinion. I still think it’s unlikely, but if Iowa is really running into dead ends around every corner on this search, BJ is still willing to help the program from what I have been told.

Continue reading below

Related In HawkeyeNation Forums

If we hear anything we deem to be credible, we’ll pass it along over the weekend. Here are some Hawkeye related links from the world wide web to pass the time

Continue reading below

Clayborn’s senior year: ‘Thumbs up’ for Iowa | hawkcentral.com | Hawk Central
Coaching search has many unknowns | hawkcentral.com | Hawk Central
College wrestling: Minnesota champ tops Cyclone, Hawkeye for Hodge Trophy | desmoinesregister.com | The Des Moines Register
Iowa coaching update: Dayton’s Gregory holds the key? | GazetteOnline.com
Scout.com: Spring Analysis Blog – Iowa & Attitude

Continue reading below

Trending in Forums View All >

HawkeyeNation Archives View All >

Long Relationship with Iowa Leads to Offer for Tanor Bortolini

Rob Howe

May 25, 2019

Wisconsin offensive lineman visited during the spring.

Minnesota Eliminates Hawkeyes from B1G Tournament

Athletic Communications

May 25, 2019

Iowa season ends with pair of Friday losses in Omaha.

Iowa Offer Brings Tears to Recruit’s Mother

Rob Howe

May 24, 2019

Hawkeyes working on bringing in Connecticut WR Diante Vines for visit.

Rising Receiver Christian Fitzpatrick Wants to See Iowa

Rob Howe

May 23, 2019

Michigan wideout planning on summer visit.

HN Podcast: NCAA Likeness Topic

Jon Miller

May 23, 2019

Miller and Deace discuss how the NCAA is examining the notion of allowing athletes to profit off of their own likeness.

Bigger Ten: Coach Rankings

Jon Miller

May 23, 2019

Deace shares his rankings of FBS coaches with actual objective data as opposed to feels.

Schwartz: Bohannon Makes The Smart Call, Handles Health

David Schwartz

May 23, 2019

It’s OK for Hawkeye sharp-shooter to put self first.

Hawkeyes Knock Off Top-Seeded Indiana

Athletic Communications

May 23, 2019

Iowa opens Big Ten Tournament with 4-2 victory.

TOP