NFL week five was a busy one for former Hawkeyes with several notables. For starters, San Francisco TE George Kittle had his professional coming out party with 7 catches for 83 yards and a key 4th quarter touchdown on 4th down to make the game even in Indianapolis. Kittle matched his season long yards in one game on Sunday, but it wasn’t enough as the 49ers fell to 0-5 on the year.
A few injured players returned this week. It just so happens they all were ready and suited up for the Game of the Week between Green Bay and Dallas. This includes Packers DT Mike Daniels and OT Bryan Bulaga and Cowboys LB Anthony Hitchens.
Week 5 Highlights:
- In Baltimore, DT Carl Davis sustained a hamstring injury during Sunday’s game against Oakland and did not return.
- In Buffalo, S Micah Hyde intercepted his league leading fourth interception in what is a Pro Bowl worthy season so far for the Bills defense. In addition, the Bills promoted rookie CB Greg Mabin from the practice squad to the roster.
- In Dallas, LB Anthony Hitchens played for the first time this season and was back earlier than projected after an injury forced him out in the preseason. He recorded 3 tackles and 3 assists in a loss to the Packers.
- In Indianapolis, the Colts resigned TE Henry Krieger-Coble to the team after cutting him a few weeks back.
- In Los Angeles, the Chargers signed RB LeShun Daniels Jr. to the practice squad joining former Iowa teammate CB Desmond King.
- In Tampa Bay, K Marshall Koehn is competing against five other kickers. The Buccaneers are searching for a replacement for starting K Nick Folk who has missed six kicks in the past two games. Koehn hit a 58-yard field goal in preseason and will have his work cut out for him if he wants to beat out the competition, which includes former Dolphins K Andrew Franks, former Bengals K Mike Nugent and former Chiefs K Cairo Santos.
- Beathard Watch 2017: It is looking like starting QB Brian Hoyer will have a few more opportunities after a solid 353 yard, 2 TD day against the Colts. However, things are getting ugly in the Bay Area. If things continue to go south, it is very likely SF gives their rookie QB C.J. Beathard some reps this year regardless of what Hoyer does on the field.
Related In HawkeyeNation Forums
Week 5 Game Ball: Micah Hyde gets some votes by continuing to be a ball hawk this year, but George Kittle did all he could to help get the 49ers over the hump for their first win of the season. Unfortunately, the 49ers are helpless, but they have some big time potential in their rookie TE.
- Week 1: Mike Daniels
- Week 2: Adrian Clayborn
- Week 3: Micah Hyde
- Week 4: Micah Hyde
- Week 5: George Kittle
*Follow Sean Neugent on Twitter: @SeanNeugentHN
Related In HawkeyeNation Articles
January 17, 2018 — ’18 OK WR Nikia Jones Discusses Visit from Hawkeyes
Iowa stopped in to see '18 Oklahoma receiver Nikia Jones Tuesday. He talked with HN about what he heard.
Photo Credit: George Kittle by Thomas J. Russo-USA TODAY sports