7-5 is a memorable season for Iowa State?

Discussion in 'Football' started by IowaHawkeyeFB, Dec 1, 2019.

1. IowaHawkeyeFB

IowaHawkeyeFB Well-Known Member

At the beginning of the year I remember their radio guys discussing how this was going to be a memorable season.

2. eyekwah

eyekwah Well-Known Member

It had the potential but the inability to win close games stopped it. Iowa and Oklahoma losses were two near misses. I think the media under estimated Baylor and KSU as well, which were two of their losses. The bad loss was to TCU. ISU really, really needs to reconsider playing Iowa every year. Without that game the last three years they would probably have 8+ wins in each of the last three years. But we all know what Forest Gump had to say about that.

3. archiehawk

archiehawk Well-Known Member

Close enough for the chants of wait till next year.

4. deanvogs

deanvogs Well-Known Member

It is much easier getting a team from 3 win to 7 win seasons than it is to get from 7/8 wins to 10 win seasons.

#TrustTheProcess

Ree4 likes this.
  5. Stanzi

Stanzi Well-Known Member

They all seemed confident they would be better than last season despite losing Butler or Montgomery. That didn't seem grounded in reality and turns out it wasn't. They were at best, only as good as last season. Next season could be a rough one as they lose 4 starting OL, Pettway and Jones from their receiving corps, Lima, Bailey and Leo from their defensive line, and then possibly Eisworth and Kolar to the draft.

6. Seth53

Seth53 Well-Known Member

Going 1-10 but beating Iowa would qualify as a successful season.

7. okeefe4prez

okeefe4prez Well-Known Member

Butler and Montgomery were really good ball players. They had a decent team this year, just didn't close out the tough games. That happens sometimes. It's a lot easier to close out ball games when you have a guy like Montgomery at tailback, though.

Knight78 and AreWeThereYet like this.
  8. THawk122

THawk122 Well-Known Member

Had the potential to be big season for them.
    Surprised their offense was as efficient after losing those guys early to the draft.
    I guess we'll really see what Campbell is building next year, he loses quite a bit, especially on that offensive line.

9. 99topdawg

99topdawg Well-Known Member

Best defense in school history.
    Best QB in school history.
    Best coach in school history.

That'll all get you 7-5. In their defense, though, it is one of the best records they've ever had, so maybe we should lay off of them a bit.

However, they would've gone 14-0 if it wasn't for two other things:

Toughest schedule in NCAA history.
    Most times screwed by refs in NCAA history.

Ree4, Knight78, phdsvp and 4 others like this.
  10. BrianFerentzForPresident

BrianFerentzForPresident Well-Known Member

Oh please, they’d go 15-0.

11. archiehawk

archiehawk Well-Known Member

Might get interesting on their QB situation. They have a 4 star sitting on the bench ( Real Mitchell)who knows he isn't playing for 2 more years. I gotta think he is heading to the transfer pool leaving ISU a bit short if an injury occurs.

12. ssckelley

ssckelley Well-Known Member

I would say it's their 7th best season in the past 40 years.

13. 99topdawg

99topdawg Well-Known Member

Oh crap. I forgot they have a CCG. Never understood that one. Just want to be like the real conference I guess.

14. pythagoras

pythagoras Well-Known Member

15. sioux34

sioux34 Well-Known Member

I recall the clowns saying they still had a shot at the playoffs after losing to iowa. I guess that didnt work out for them.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  16. hawkfan44

hawkfan44 Well-Known Member

Y'all forget, they play in the vaunted Big 12. If they played in the Big West, they would win 10-12 games per year. Can't beat Iowa!

17. sioux34

sioux34 Well-Known Member

The big 12 that will miss the college football playoffs? That big 12?

18. oldhawk12

oldhawk12 Well-Known Member

In their defense, when exactly was the b10 west in them? Take all the tim you need. You’ll need it.

19. BVHawk95

BVHawk95 Well-Known Member

Look who shows up after 3 weeks to slob on some Iowa State knob

20. ssckelley

ssckelley Well-Known Member

How is this relevant to anything being discussed here? Take all the tim you need!

Chickenlounge likes this.