Athlon predicts (+4 all americans)

Discussion in 'Football' started by karras, Jun 5, 2019.

1. ModebaSan

ModebaSan Well-Known Member

If the Hawks can somehow circumvent this tough schedule and win, then you can expect a dark horse run to the CFP. It will be tough, but it is doable with the amount of talent we have available. Injuries throughout the season can change the direction of any program. What if Nebby lost Martinez? Purdue, Rondale Moore? Wisconsin, Jonathan Taylor? Anything can change on a dime, even for Iowa. But we do have a chance.

SmokeTownHawk and 4thngoal like this.
  2. BrianFerentzForPresident

BrianFerentzForPresident Well-Known Member

Our barometers this season are the first two road trips to Iowa State and Michigan. Win those and this is going to be a special season. Lose one and it still might be. Open 3-2 and it’s going to be an uphill battle.

3. HawkeyeDenis

HawkeyeDenis Well-Known Member

There is a significant drop off for both teams at QB. Nebraska would be lucky to get 5 wins with a backup. Iowa is better poised to bring a backup in, with their offensive line and running backs.

I agree. Nebby hit the goldmine with Martinez. He has the makings of a great college QB. But saying there's a significant drop off isn't a slam on the backups, they are inexperienced. It will take a handful of games if not a season to get up to speed.

4. 4thngoal

4thngoal Well-Known Member

It's not just QB at Nebraska. They have been losing DB,s, lb's now a center (foot injury appearantly). I don't care what anyone says, when 4* db's start walking off of a team that's only won a few games the last few years, it's not good. Throw in all the legal trouble and I just don't think it's put together like their fans would like to think.

5. HawkeyeDenis

I was just looking at it in general terms. But their misery is good for us!

6. ChosenChildren

ChosenChildren Well-Known Member

Big Ten West is getting salty. NW, Wisc, Purdue, Nebraska and Minnesota are all going to be tough outs.

Throw in Penn State at home and Michigan and Iowa State on the road and you have a very tough 8 games.

I think we defeat Illinois, Rutgers, Miami of Ohio and Mid. Tenn. (don't sleep on Mid Tenn).

win 6 of the 8 toughies and we have a truly special season. A very tall order!

7. ModebaSan

ModebaSan Well-Known Member

NW off. is inconsistent until otherwise proven. Wiscy lost most of that big O-Line and a new QB. Purdue lost a lot on def. Nebby should be improved but they haven’t shown to be physical enough on defense. Minnesota? I’m sorry, I’m not buying the hype. Penn St. has lost a lot due to graduation, transfers, and have already lost three four star commits. Something going on there. At Michigan and at ISU will be tough, but we have owned those two lately. Miami(Oh) and M. Tenn St. are going to be good tests. With that said, can we lose those games? Yes. But we also have the chance to do a repeat of 2015.

8. HawkeyeDenis

It's expected that 5 of the 6 Iowa games against potentially ranked opponents are away games. I am optimistic about the team, but the schedule is scary.

9. 4thngoal

4thngoal Well-Known Member

I'm not scared.

10. Northside Hawk

Northside Hawk Well-Known Member

What would happen is that an unheralded second or third stringer comes in and has a career game.:)

11. hawkdrummer1

hawkdrummer1 Well-Known Member

With the offense Frosty wants to run, Martinez will get dinged up. It's a matter of when...not if.

HawkeyeDenis likes this.
  12. karras

karras Well-Known Member

13. #1DieHardHawk

#1DieHardHawk Well-Known Member

14. AreWeThereYet

AreWeThereYet Well-Known Member

Not sure what the rationale is for that one They got it right at the conference level. Maybe the fourth choice at center was so much weaker than the other OL choices, that they felt compelled to move someone over. There's little chance Wirfs will play center at Iowa.

15. karras

karras Well-Known Member

That's weird I coulda sworn they had Wirfs on 3rd team, and not at center. Dementia, here I come.

Big ten is second behind the SEC in 1st team and overall selections. I assume that has something to do with the B1G's bowl success as of late. I think it is fair to say the Big Ten is the second best conference in the land. Strong ammunition for the debates on Hawkeye scheduling.

Selections

First Second Third Fourth Overall
    ACC 3 6 6 3 18
    American 1 1 1 1 4
    Big 12 1 1 4 6 12
    Big Ten 8 5 4 4 21
    Conference USA 0 0 0 0 0
    Independent 1 0 2 0 3
    MAC 0 0 0 0 0
    Mountain West 0 1 3 3 7
    Pac-12 4 4 4 5 17
    SEC 9 9 3 5 26