Bohannon surgery -might miss season

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by spliff45, May 21, 2019.

1. PCHawk

PCHawk Well-Known Member

I've always found it weird that some hawk fans call other hawk fans homers.

HuckFinn, Hawkboys and eledmonster like this.
  2. InGoodCo

InGoodCo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

eledmonster likes this.
  3. Fryowa

Fryowa Well-Known Member

Guys that I'd say who were a make or break for Iowa when they were playing recently would be Jok, Uthoff, Marble (at times), obviously White. They all had conference WS (by far the best comprehensive stat) over 2.0 when they were starters. Bohannon's numbers are right alongside Woodbury and Gesell. This is obviously because he's so horribly bad defensively. His DWS are by far the worst of any regular starter since they started keeping that stat (it was actually negative the year before last).

I don't think losing Bohannon is a good thing, I just don't think it's as serious as people are saying, especially if you consider his net points. People get so hyped up on his long threes that they forget 1) how streaky he is, and 2) no one considers the fact that terrible defense can give up just as many points.

I mentioned in a fun convo with @JG10Hawk that if a guy makes a huge three from 6' past the line, then lets his guy blow by him for an easy lay in (all of us know that happens to Bohannon and his DWS doesn't lie), then misses his next one and allows another uncontested layup, he's now at -1 net points. His piss poor defense has cost the team a point overall even though we're still ooh-ing and ahh-ing over how he drained a three. Bohannon should always be a net positive scorer, but not by as much as people think because they don't look at both ends of the floor. He just gives up too much with his D. I'd be WAY more worried if this happened to Wieskamp, Garza, or Nunge. Those guys in my opinion are going to be the bulk of the WS this coming year depending on what role Toussaint plays.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  4. Fryowa

Fryowa Well-Known Member

My account name came from a shirt I saw at Raygunsite. I didn't come up with it, but I thought the shirt was hilarious.

[​IMG]

5. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

The only reason I disagree with you here regarding Garza or Nunge, is that there are other players behind them who have played at a Big 10 level before - Kriener, Pemsl. Without JBo, there is a player that will be starting and playing huge minutes, either in CJF or Toussaint who have never played a minute, and don't have much of a recruiting pedigree. His WS numbers might be close to Gessell, but I think anybody would take Gessell on the team for next year no questions asked.

6. phdsvp

phdsvp Well-Known Member

Fran has the easiest job in the world. He doesn't have to leave the state to recruit, he gets crazy contract extensions seemingly at random, and around 50% of his teams get "excuses" so everyone knows that results don't count. BUY THOSE SEASON TICKETS TODAY!

7. Fryowa

Fryowa Well-Known Member

Nunge is obviously a projection on my part, but given the size he's put on (and according to some people height), I think Iowa finally has a legit big man, which is becoming a requirement in the B1G. It isn't a coincidence that Michigan, MSU, Purdue, and Wisconsin make it a priority and lean hard on those types of players.

8. NikeHawk21

NikeHawk21 Well-Known Member

Could the argument also be made that a typical Fran team is on the bubble, meaning that’s likely where next years team would have landed prior to attrition and injury? Meaning following the injury and other attrition we have we are going to take a step back. Isn’t that kind of what happened in our really crappy season when Williams left right before the season and then Connor went down?

9. InGoodCo

well, I guess it's better that Fran at least knows all of this now and has the off season to prepare his team. I think he better check that portal again tho

10. NikeHawk21

Couple things to point out with this one.

JBo was freshman all B1G that year. Probably a stretch to think Toussaint gets there.

I do not agree on the supporting cast at all. Baer was 6th man of the year that season and Pemsl averaged something like 9/5 on over 60% shooting off the bench.

The next flaw in you’re analysis is that each season and schedule is organic. That team was “bubble” in their resume’ because they won road games at Maryland and UW, which also happened to be when both of those teams were struggling. That Iowa team you referenced came in at 71st in the KenPom. In a typical year 71 in the KenPom is not tournament bubble or quite frankly very close at all.

deanvogs likes this.
  11. NikeHawk21

I hope he checks the portal but it might be too late. I honestly have no clue what’s left.

The thing that bothers me is that it sounds like Fran knew both about Bohannon’s injury and what it could potentially mean and also about Moss potentially leaving several weeks ago, but yet he didn’t feel the need to go hard after a grad transfer.

12. Fryowa

Fryowa Well-Known Member

If there was anything left on the portal I’d imagine he would have taken that before putting still on scholarship. I know we have extras, but if you were going to see a (decent) transfer it would have happened already.

13. deanvogs

deanvogs Well-Known Member

I hope you are right PC, I really do. It just seems pretty pie in the sky to me, and you can never convince me that have 4 total guards rotating between 3 spots is a good thing. Especially when 2 of them are totally unproven, and a 3rd one is a better baseball player than basketball player.

14. InGoodCo

How do you know that? I am not saying you are wrong or right and I am not trying argue, but how do you know he didn't go hard or isn't going hard at a transfer? Is it because he didn't get one or you have some knowledge to that fact? In recent interviews I've heard in the last few weeks he's mentioned recruiting transfers several times and saying it's a nature of the today's game. Because he didn't get one, doesn't really mean he didn't go hard at one - Iowa's name at least came up on 3 of the highest profile transfers on the market. They didn't or haven't gotten one yet, doesn't mean they haven't tried.

15. NikeHawk21

Grad transfers and sit out transfers are different things. Iowa’s name has appeared on the list for a couple sit out transfers and they got a visit with DJ Harvey.

You want to know where I get my information? Twitter, other Hawkeye sites, and I might even have a subscription to an insider site. There has been no mention of any real Iowa connection with Grad transfers. If he were pursuing them we would most likely hear about it somewhere (as we did with the sit out transfers). We haven’t.

It’s certainly possible they were pursuing grad transfers and we didn’t know about it, but I’d say fairly unlikely. Maybe we will get involved now and get someone, but again pretty unlikely.

InGoodCo likes this.
  16. PCHawk

PCHawk Well-Known Member

Good point about usually not losing players early. But my counter point would be we've lost better players to graduation and still improved. It really doesn't matter what reason your players are gone. It only matters who is back. My point was the team we have back is very comparable to the last two times we've had a freshman starting point guard and we almost made the tournament both times. My whole point tho was that it is POSSIBLE to still have a decent year. I'm not saying it's likely or I think it will happen.

NikeHawk21 likes this.
  17. PCHawk

PCHawk Well-Known Member

I think we can all agree that an all freshmen team has a lot to do with who has the most opportunity to play a lot. A lot also has to do with how much you score more than your overall game. If Joe T gets 30 minutes per game out of necessity like Bohannon did, he's already halfway to making that team. He probably won't score as much so I doubt he gets there, even if his overall game is more helpful to the team.

I agree we won't have Baer which is a blow, but you can't say Pemsl when we have the same guy 3 years older. That team also didn't have a Connor, Kriener, or Patrick. Instead they had Uhl. William's, and Ellingson.

tmess1989 likes this.
  18. PCHawk

PCHawk Well-Known Member

I can't be right because I'm not predicting anything. I'm just saying it's possible and pointing out 2 very similar situations where they were very close to making it to the tournament. It's possible Joe T and CJ both suck. If so, we are in really bad shape. But it's also possible they are both way better than we hoped. If so, we will be playing for seed my late February. If I had to say, I'd say it's more likely that they are somewhere between suck and really good.

19. NikeHawk21

Pemsl got to play his more natural spot of the 5 that year because we didn’t have Garza in the fold.

Anyway I want to circle back to the 71 in the KenPom thing. That team had a resume’ of a bubble team but according to KenPom really wasn’t on that level. I think that is realistic given the steamrolling they took at the hands of a marginal Indiana team and then a home loss in the NIT.

But I get what you are saying here. We have a chance to be competitive at times next year and maybe fight near the bubble, if a few things fall into place. But coming from where we were that’s pretty sad and the new floor of next years team is fairly bad I would say.

20. PCHawk

PCHawk Well-Known Member

The floor is lower and the ceiling is lower. I guess the ceiling may not be lower. It's just way more unrealistic. We would need CJ to be like Gatens, Joe T to be like freshman Tre Burke, Nunge to be like a tall White, and Patrick to be like some other really skinny white player who was good in the past. Any one of those things could happen, but for 3 or 4 of them to happen is really unlikely. Odds are very much in favor of being NIT or worse next year.

NikeHawk21 likes this.