BTN's Dave Revsine was just on College Sports on SiriusXM

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by storminspank, Feb 20, 2013.

1. storminspank

storminspank Justin VanLaere

Some really good conversation on there. I like Dave.

When asked who gets in, the hosts said 5 are locks.
    Dave said Illinois is a lock and went on to talk about all the quality wins (there are a ton and I agree on the lock).
    Said he'd be surprised, no shocked, if MN didn't get in due to resume as well.

Then brought up "Franny's Hawkeyes" - he does not see them making the tournament. In fact, said he thought it would take something crazy for them to get in, such as a win over Indiana or a deep run into the BTT. Said a win against Illinois would be a start, but not enough.

2. HawkeyeMHA

HawkeyeMHA Well-Known Member

Well maybe we should just give him a little nut slap to wake him up.

3. WindsorHawk

WindsorHawk Well-Known Member

I guess it's time for a 10 game winning streak. That should do it.

4. SteveGarvey

SteveGarvey Well-Known Member

I thought the B1G Network was supposed to be full of shameless conference homers. I'm so disillusioned now.

5. Seth53

Seth53 Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more.

6. tm3308

tm3308 Well-Known Member

Totally disagree with that. 10 wins and then a first round win will be enough. Only 7 10-win teams in the conference have been left out of the Dance since the field expanded to 64. With the strength of the conference this year and the relative weakness of the other Power 6 conferences, a 10(11)-win Iowa team wouldn't be the eighth.

7. Seth53

Seth53 Well-Known Member

What you aren't providing when you say (bolded) is the following for those teams who were left out:

Final Record
    RPI
    Wins/losses versus 1-50/51-100/101 - end of list
    Strength of the Big-10 conference
    Strength of remaining Power 6 conferences

Thus, it isn't logical to compare those teams to how Iowa may end up. Without providing that information, your stats are meaningless.

Until then, I'm sticking with what I know as of right now....Iowa has zero quality road wins, TWO quality home wins (ISU, Wisky), a couple of bad RPI losses. This isn't the BCS....sheer # of wins doesn't outweigh SoS and success thereof. Without 5-1 and a quality BTT win, as a very minimum, it's the NIT.

Sorry, close losses (good losses) don't count. Wish they did.

8. hawkfarmer

hawkfarmer Well-Known Member

I don't think Tork would argue with you on that. They would have to go 4-1 the rest of the way and win a BTT game. That is what Tork said, that is what you said. Your argument is a non-argument.

9. eveningnewsteam

eveningnewsteam Well-Known Member

I hope its enough and Ive thought all along it would be, but Iowa's OOC schedule is a disaster. Im willing to bet Mccaffery put this schedule together to get wins and gain confidence with the hope by the time conference play started this Iowa team would be ready to knock off the upper tier teams in this conference and kind of cancel out the OOC if you will. Well that didnt happen, they were close at Wisconsin, at Minnesota, MSU and Indiana, but couldnt get any of these. They win 2 of those, nobody is even talking about the OOC, Iowa would definitely be in.

They did what they had to do in the OOC, but really didnt quite get there in conference play as far as signature wins. I hope Iowa makes it, but if they dont they really have nowhere to look but themselves.

10. Seth53

Seth53 Well-Known Member

Nuh-uh....I said quality BTT win :p

I also think we have to win 2 BTT games to get a sniff. One win versus a lower-seeded team isn't going to help.

Anyway, my point is the flaw in lumping this year's Iowa team in with the "other-than-the-seven 10-league-win" teams who weren't invited. Without more data re: those left out, we simply cannot.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  11. JonDMiller

JonDMiller Publisher/Founder

If Iowa goes 4-1 in regular season and wins two in Chicago, they are in. Anything short of that, I am not optimistic

12. storminspank

Neither of the two "bad" losses were at home, both on the road. And both are to teams >175 RPI, so they aren't awful losses.

More than TWO quality home wins - Iowa State, Wisconsin, Minnesota (and if they go 4-1 like we mentioned, add Illinois to the list). UNI has won 5 in a row and are almost in the Top 50 RPI, so that'd be another, but a neutral quality win.

The Bubble is currently pretty weak.
    If Iowa goes 4-1, plus one in the BTT, they are on the right side of the Bubble.

They'd be in the 50s for RPI, 10 wins in the best conf in the land, 20s/30s for Pom/Sag, they'd be 7-3 in their L10.
    Iowa would be on the right side of the Bubble at 22-11 (11-9 conf overall), 5 quality wins, 2 bad losses.
    Don't underestimate the impact of playing in the B1G conf.

I'll break it down for you soon in my next Bubble Watch.

13. herkyattack

herkyattack Well-Known Member

If Iowa takes care of business (4-1 down the stretch) and wins a game in the BTT we should be good. Especially if UNI keeps winning (but doesn't win the MVC tourny, as that would take a bid away from potential bubble teams) and we beat Illinois, which would add two additional top 50 RPI wins. If that were to transpire, 5-8 against top 50 RPI and 10 wins in the B1G would get it done.

14. gachawk

gachawk Banned

I still say if Iowa goes 10-8 or 9-9 and beat Illinois they should be in. You going to put Minnesota who Iowa blew out or Illinois who Iowa would have beaten ahead of them? And i am assuming we beat Purdue also but they aren't going anywhere anyway. B1G is by far the best conference in the country (with the worst officials) and should get no less than 8 teams in the dance. Only thing that worries me is the east coast bias.

15. Seth53

Seth53 Well-Known Member

Ok Justin....three quality home wins. (I find the gophers so unforgettable).
    I'll give 1/2-point to a "quality neutral court win"

No quality road wins. Repeat, no quality road wins.

If I were to have to vote right now, they don't go.
    IMO, a lot has to fall their way (no stumbles, beat Illinois, win a BTT game) for them to get in.

And those four close losses just don't sit well with me while trying to justify the above ^^ will happen for this team.

Hope I'm wrong.

16. storminspank

Road wins or home wins help the RPI. They are still quality wins no matter how you look at them. They are Ws and they count in the W column.
    No margin for error for Iowa. That much is certain.

If they drop both IND and ILL, they would need to reach the BTT Semis at min.

17. Hawkfnntn

Hawkfnntn Well-Known Member

If If If Iowa goes 4-1 down the stretch (the one loss against Indiana on the road) and they win a B1G tourny game It'd be tough to leave Iowa out. I wouldn't bet the farm that Iowa pulls it off. But they can do it. They are hot right now. They are playing confident and It'd be so so fun to see them do it. It won't be easy to do by any means with Illinois being a must win game but hey there might be some magic up Frans sleeve. If these guys play with a chip on their shoulder who knows.

18. eveningnewsteam

eveningnewsteam Well-Known Member

Yeah, pretty much my thoughts too. Iowa had their chances, couldnt close the deal. They could just make it a lot easier on themselves and win at Indiana as well.

19. homes

homes Well-Known Member

I guess close losses to Top 50 teams don't count for anything, not even on a subjective level? The Hawks lose at Wisconsin because of a lucky bounce 3-pointer by Jackson, and that keeps them out of the tournament (same for Minnesota, a 3-point bomb from the baseline, at Minnesota)? Harsh. Add to that, projecting forward, but a win over Illinois, and a 10-8 record (leaving them, at worse, in a tie with Illinois), and Illinois gets in, but Iowa doesn't? Doubly harsh. It's almost like there's a code that says if you're on the bubble, and you haven't made it in a few years, you need to serve a year's probation, and if you come back the next year with the same result, we'll deem you worthy and let you in. Great if you're in the club, sucks if you're trying to get in.

20. tm3308

tm3308 Well-Known Member

We're not voting based on where they are right now. We're talking about their case and what they need to do to get in.