Cincinatti vs Iowa prediction thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Ian Pike Hammer, Dec 19, 2019.

?

And the winner is...

Poll closed Dec 22, 2019.
  1. Cincinatti

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. Iowa

44 vote(s)
    88.0%
  1. Casey388

Casey388 Well-Known Member

We had no business winning this game. Playing that sloppy against a decent opponent, away from home and come out with a W? Last few teams would of closed up shop as soon as they made that run in the second half. This team has some grit and our defense is vastly improved. Garza has obviously been a big piece of the changes but I think having CJF is nearly as big. The kid is just a gamer and love his savvy. As some have said, as soon as he shoots the ball I think it is going in. Doesn’t matter if it is a contested three or a 12 footer on the baseline. I think he also helps in the zone defense on the top. He is good at closing out on shooters.

Joe T will get his opportunity to get his confidence back against Kennesaw State. As many as said Fran kept him out too long tonight but I really can’t fault Fran’s decision making since we won the game.

thedukeofearl likes this.
  2. NikeHawk21

NikeHawk21 Well-Known Member

One thing I was going to add was I thought we looked really lazy in our zone. Like we gave up a ton of wide open looks again. Luckily Cincy can’t really shoot but we are going to have to tighten up our defense. Again glad to get the win now we have to tighten up some things before conference play.

3. Northside Hawk

Northside Hawk Well-Known Member

That twelve footer on the baseline was huge. We haven't had a player who could consistently make that shot since....Luke Recker?

The reason players don't make that shot anymore is because they seldom attempt it. Look at shot charts after a typical game. Everything in the paint or behind the arc. But that shot will always be there. Kevin Boyle, Bobby Hansen, Kevin Gamble and Roy Marble were always deadly from the baseline. Guy Rucker had a nice shot there, Brunner was another.

The 12-15 foot baseline shot will always be there if players want it. Especially against zone defenses.

Casey388 and thedukeofearl like this.
  4. thedukeofearl

thedukeofearl Well-Known Member

That was rather gracious of Coach Brannen

I tend to agree with him

:cool:

5. thedukeofearl

Freddy the Nightmare is going to help us recover from Jordan's leave of absence. He and Joe are going to be almost impossible to stop. Cincy with their intense D couldn't do it over the course of the game

Bakari is the X factor and seems quite capable of covering for Jordan

Now onto the B1G grinder

:cool:

6. thedukeofearl

Jud Hethcote had a policy that everyone had to make 10 free throws in a row before hitting the showers.

7. PCHawk

PCHawk Well-Known Member

Joe T getting pulled for so long does seem a bit extreme. It makes me wonder if Fran has been talking to him about slowing down until he gets into the flow of the game. If he has been, it makes sense to pull him. He plays for 3 minutes and was 100 miles per hour the whole time turning the ball over like crazy. Then he finally comes in again and right away goes 100 miles per hour and turns it over. If Fran is trying to slow him down a bit, and that's what Joe did instead, the benching makes sense.

Ree4, Northside Hawk and HawkPrdatr40 like this.
  8. PCHawk

PCHawk Well-Known Member

I'm trying to think of a time CJ has missed a shot at the rim. I feel like I have a vague memory of one but I can't pinpoint it. He has made almost, if not all, of his shots within 5 feet of the hoop. He's a complete player for sure.

9. HawkPrdatr40

HawkPrdatr40 Well-Known Member

What I saw from Joe T last night had ZERO to do with footing..

10. HawkPrdatr40

HawkPrdatr40 Well-Known Member

I think this!

11. Northside Hawk

If Joe is only capable of playing one speed were in trouble and so is he. Brian Garner could only play at one speed. Kevin Smith, who Jess Settles recently compared Toussaint to, was another. Neither made it to the finish line at Iowa, though both had academic and/or off the court problems.

12. Northside Hawk

It shouldn't have been an issue. The Kohl Center floor for sure is laid out on top of a sheet of hockey ice and the floors at Ohio State and Penn State might be.

13. #1DieHardHawk

#1DieHardHawk Well-Known Member

Ouch.

That seems a bit much. There are some players that simply will not accomplish that. Shaq would have lived there, and, I mean, lived there...

14. thedukeofearl

Joe was going too fast also, and the bearcats were helping him lose his balance

He was a harsh taskmaster indeed

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  15. Ian Pike Hammer

Ian Pike Hammer Well-Known Member

Thanks for yr discression!

16. smitharooney

smitharooney Well-Known Member

He wasn’t the only one slipping and sliding

17. smitharooney

smitharooney Well-Known Member

I’m also not saying he wasn’t terrible

18. thedukeofearl

smitharooney and Ian Pike Hammer like this.