Coach K rips NCAA on one-and-done

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by tweeterhawk, Mar 31, 2019.

1. tweeterhawk

tweeterhawk Well-Known Member

2. Zstatman

Zstatman Well-Known Member

If the new rules serve to make the programs that don't pay money to college recruits and levels the playing field, I'm all for it. I don't feel sorry for Coach K, Duke and the rest of the current college basketball elite.

duhawk70 and lightning1 like this.
  3. eyekwah

eyekwah Well-Known Member

How about let's just go back to the old model, the one from the 50's? You know the one where all the athletes meet higher minimum entrance requirements, freshmen cannot participate, and the athlete must show progress toward graduation in order to play. OR

Colleges simply make Basketball an Academic Major and pay the Basketball Majors? Let's quit pretending this is an amateur sport.

4. DDThompson

DDThompson Well-Known Member

So he’s crying about the system and the lack of leadership for NCAA Men’s Basketball but offers no solutions.

You know what that’s called ....
    a lack of leadership.

5. Zstatman

Zstatman Well-Known Member

The G League starts this coming summer a program where they will pay top high school talent $125,000 to go right to the G League rather than to college. There will be life lessons as well as a full time commitment to basketball.

Here's an article on this new program:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-prospects-not-wanting-go-one-done-route-ncaa

Then here is an article from last December where the #2 2019 5 star prospect commits to Duke. My thought at the time was why would a kid go to college when he could be getting $125k in the G League? I'll leave it up to your own thoughts as to why this might be.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...arey-commits-to-duke-over-michigan-state-unc/

Ree4 and thedukeofearl like this.
  6. trj

trj Well-Known Member

Screw it. Let's just open pandora's box and pay the players. There is no coming back from this, but it will make everyone happy and all the problems will just go away.:)

thedukeofearl likes this.
  7. tksirius

tksirius Well-Known Prostitute

8. lightning1

lightning1 Well-Known Member

Coach K is whining because he'll have to come down to Earth and coach with a non-NBA loaded roster....just like everyone else. Heaven forbid his cheating ass not get every advantage to go along with Nike funneling players to him and ESPN running propaganda.

9. lightning1

lightning1 Well-Known Member

I don't see any NCAA model that pays College Basketball players. There'll be too many lawsuits from student athletes of other sports. Trust me, if there was any way the NCAA could have paid only the Men's basketball players...they would have done it years ago. But they can't.

10. tksirius

tksirius Well-Known Prostitute

11. trj

trj Well-Known Member

Coach K tried to stick with the "traditional" approach, but being a #4 seed and being done by the first weekend wasn't good enough. It didn't live up to the very standard he created, so he had no choice, but to embrace the one and done. Unless Brad Stevens takes a shitload of money, he realizes Duke is probably heading toward irrelevance once he is done. Might as well try to fight it now.

12. tweeterhawk

tweeterhawk Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

thedukeofearl likes this.
  13. THawk122

THawk122 Well-Known Member

125k would be solid money, but they can take whatever Duke played, tack that on scholly money and make millions after 1 year. Yeah, I understand why some would 'suffer' through a year of college

14. Locker67

Locker67 Well-Known Member

If they have no intention of graduating why make them go to college?

15. theboat

theboat Well-Known Member

If Creighton will pay 100k and a good job for a top player, then my guess is that 125k is a pay cut for Duke stars.

InGoodCo and THawk122 like this.
  16. EstronHawkKing

EstronHawkKing Well-Known Member

Dear Coach K: You are 72 years old and not getting any younger. I hope you never make the Final 4 ever again!

17. DDThompson

To win an NCAA championship

18. Denverhawk1

Denverhawk1 Well-Known Member

I think because of Title IX they would have to pay all players the same across all sports. If they have to give an equal number of scholarships to men and women, I’m sure the pay would have to be equal as well. So that pretty much ensures that they aren’t paying players any time soon.

19. spliff45

spliff45 Well-Known Member

Coach K has been to 2 Final 4s in 16 years and only 1 since the one and done rule. Talk about doing less with more....

20. DDThompson

Plus then it would be taxable income for student/athletes.
    And IRS would love to get this stuff:
    training room/health care/rehab
    tutors
    travel and lodging benefits
    practice facilities