Connor McCaffery: Hawkeye Baseball Star?

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by IowaLawWasRight, Apr 30, 2019.

1. HawkGold

HawkGold Well-Known Member

ok fran

2. UncleHawk

UncleHawk Well-Known Member

Connor has arguably already had success in both baseball and basketball. I’m arguing he’d have better success playing in one and I gave reasons why.

3. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Well-Known Member

We have no disagreement on your point.

UncleHawk likes this.
  4. Tierney

Tierney Well-Known Member

He does look like a really talented guy, but I doubt he is that talented to play both sports at a really high level. I wonder how the other players will feel if Connor gets thirty minutes a game playing part time during the year while everyone else works mostly twelve months of the year.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    UncleHawk likes this.
  5. HawkPrdatr40

HawkPrdatr40 Well-Known Member

Connor Is a D1 Baseball player and D2 Basketball Player!

6. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Well he should fit in perfectly with the basketball team then.

HawkPrdatr40 likes this.
  7. UncleHawk

Connor’s handle for his size and strength plus his passing are certainly D1. Shooting consistency is another story.

tmess1989 likes this.
  8. HawkGold

For a small forward..yes. pt guard..be serious.

9. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

I think most people agree that he is probably playing out of position. His body is a 2 or 3 guard, but his game isn't strong enough in those traditional areas. Shot needs work, drive needs work and finishing around the hoop needs work. If he improves those areas I could see him sliding to SG for 2020.

HawkGold likes this.
  10. UncleHawk

As a PG for Iowa, Connor had a 2.37 A/T ratio this year averaging 18.6 mins/gm. As a ball control PG, that’s pretty good. Remember how he handled in traffic at the 2K Classic in NYC? No, he’s not a dynamic ball handler. That’s why we got JoeT and are looking for more at PG in 2020.

11. HawkGold

Im more inclined to review his later handling. Would enjoy watching Hawks play a similar pt guard. Its just not there. Pt guards need to do more than pass to J Bo

12. HawkGold

He would not play pt guard forvany Big not coached by his dad.

HawkPrdatr40 likes this.
  13. UncleHawk

Hard to say since he committed so early, but Connor was highly rated enough to be recruited by B1G teams. And given his combination of talents and weaknesses, where else can he effectively play but PG? If his shooting comes around, it’s a different story. But, his commitment to baseball may not give him time for that. Also, think baseball demands may have taken a toll on his late-season effectiveness. Although I’m sure that would be denied by the McCs.

14. HawkGold

Didnt Kevin Boyle run the point some in 80 w injuies? Reminds me of CM in that way. Maybe it was later

15. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Maybe not though this season. Passing to Jbo, JW, JN and LG could be the only thing needed from our PG this year. It has potential to be a deadly shooting team.

16. HawkGold

Do you really believe that?

17. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

I really believe that the guys have the offensive skills to be a good offense. I'm automatically skeptical of the defense, and I would only ever reasonably assume a 7th or 8th place finish. I believe there is potential for more though. I just don't have alot of faith in Fran to get it done.

18. JG10Hawk

JG10Hawk Well-Known Member

I think many are underestimating Connor's ability to shoot the ball. He had little confidence this season, I won't dispute that. He did however shoot 41% and 37.1% from 3 as a Sr and Jr in HS on 120+ attempts in each season. That's a much larger sample size than the 29 he attempted this past year only making 6.

Obviously HS shooting doesn't always translate to the college game but to me his poor shooting on just a handful of attempts screams lack of confidence more than it says lack of ability when comparing it to how he shot the ball in HS. I'm not saying he's going to be a good deep ball shooter but I'll be surprised if he doesn't shoot better than 20.7% from deep next season.

UncleHawk likes this.
  19. UncleHawk

It’s difficult to deny JW and JB are elite shooters. Garza demanded to be guarded outside and he’ll be better. Suspect Nunge will be as good as Garza outside (may be argument here but I’ll stand by the statement). If Connor comes anywhere near HS numbers in limited attempts, yes, our starters are a better shooting team than last year- especially considering Cook was zero from outside. CJ, Patrick, and Kriener should contribute outside as well. If given the choice, Fran has consistently recruited length and shooting. We’re seeing that now. This is also why I’m thinking JoeT may be serviceable outside as well.

20. tksirius

tksirius Well-Known Prostitute

Pat shot well this last year in HS as well. Unfortunately, that's not going to translate to B1G BB either.

Fryowa likes this.