DJ Johnson in Transfer Portal

Discussion in 'Football' started by RobHowe, May 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawkdrummer1

hawkdrummer1 Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's just not a "fit" for whatever reason. The town, the vibe with a coach, difficulty with school, any number of personal things...who knows. Hope he finds a better fit and does well.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Iceman and haydensly like this.
  2. Northside Hawk

Northside Hawk Well-Known Member

If Brents and Merriweather transfer out of here because Moss and Koerner totally shut the door on them the Ferentz haters are going to be out in full force.

3. Bordone

Bordone Well-Known Member

With the amount of secondary players that have either transferred or left with eligibility It makes me think back to the game at OSU in 2013 where I was sitting behind the Iowa team and listening to Phil screaming profanities at his players. I'm going to speculate Phil isn't exactly a players coach.

4. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Well-Known Member

I just cannot get real worried about the D backs we have recruited. Our history at that position is pretty solid. We have had a couple of guys who were not highly rated but are in the NFL. Yes, I hate to see DJ transfer. He certainly showed some promise. However, as our recruiting ramps up, we are going to see some transfers. I wish him the best. Now, next man in.

5. revkev73

revkev73 Well-Known Member

Yes, he was good. Exception to the rule.

6. 4thngoal

4thngoal Well-Known Member

If his heart isn't in it, then it's better he moves on anyway. Like hawkdrummer said, it could be any number of reasons. Could be reasons that have nothing to do with the program. I mean he was just home for the shut down. People tend to lose focus during times like we are and have been in.

7. uihawk82

uihawk82 Well-Known Member

Yes, surprising to see Rob's titled thread. I thought he played really well during his opportunities. I cant remember his size and weight but I thought he might be prime CASH player.

8. hawkeyebob62

hawkeyebob62 Well-Known Member

One reason could be that guys that come in as RBs, WRs, QBs, etc., are the guys coaching staff really see as CBs/Ss who are better on the defensive side of the ball. How many guys probably think, "I'm the next great QB!", when those who truly know see them as "The next great ____". More than we, collectively on this board, could ever count with any degree of accuracy.

9. hawkeyebob62

hawkeyebob62 Well-Known Member

Let's also not forget that Purdue WRs got away with a healthy dose of "push-offs" that weren't called..for whatever reason.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Ree4 likes this.
  10. westender

westender Well-Known Member

Or a Kurt Warner, lol.

11. westender

westender Well-Known Member

Funny though that Desmond King and a host of others come back and fully support Hawks and Phil Parker.

Iceman and Northside Hawk like this.
  12. BGOLD

BGOLD Well-Known Member

Brents gave up one touchdown pass and was benched for Moss. Moss wound up giving up 3 TD passes, including ones of 40+ and 80+ yards. I said in my most post that Parker is more to blame for that game than Moss, considering he allowed Purdue to put Moss on an island, and that is what costed Iowa the game.
    IMO, Brents starting opposite Hankins is a no brainer. Not only has he looked better than Moss in games but he's 6'3 and has a much higher ceiling.

Northside Hawk and NikeHawk21 like this.
  13. #1DieHardHawk

#1DieHardHawk Well-Known Member

^ This

Completely agree. Moss did struggle, but some credit has to go to Purdue. Some of those passes were absolute dimes, and Moss generally had good position. He just needs to learn to keep his composure and play the ball. That will come with time.

The penalties and that punt were absolute killers in that game.

HuckFinn likes this.
  14. CP87

CP87 Well-Known Member

Hankins did not play vs. Purdue per his bio. According to OJ's bio, he played but did not record a stat. It is my recollection that Moss and Brents were both playing most of the game due to injury.

From the highlights, Brents gave up the first TD (got turned around, was no where close to the play).

Their 2nd TD was set up by a deep cross to TE that went for 50 yards, Stone fell down on the play. Not sure who was mainly at fault; it seem Hockaday didn't do a good job of getting under it, and Stone widened too much and then fell.

Their 3rd TD was over Moss. He was in good position, but then got shoved in the back just as he was starting his jump to make a play on the ball.

Their 4th TD was their first offensive play of the 2nd half, and Moss got flat burned for an 80 yarder.

Their 5th TD was a slant/flat combo at the goal-line. Moss seemed to hesitate as he thought they might combo the route (the sort of mistake a tr freshman is likely to make).

Brents committed the PI that set up the game-winning FG.

Hard to tell for sure from the highlights, but it looked like Brents was in there for most of the snaps.

15. Robowe

Robowe Well-Known Member

16. proudhawkfan21

proudhawkfan21 Well-Known Member

Can't wait til Petras and or Hogan light your @ss up

17. Stanzi

Stanzi Well-Known Member

So after he sits out a year he'll have two to play, right?

18. VAHawkFan

VAHawkFan Well-Known Member

Guarantee he'll get a waiver if he seeks one. He'll be eligible to play this year if he wants to be.

19. Northside Hawk

Northside Hawk Well-Known Member

Can you do trades in college?

Cause I'd like to propose an even up trade, DJ Johnson for David Bell.

Sounds like a fair deal to me!

Robowe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.