Doug Gottlieb says Alford to IU is a done deal

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by EstronHawkKing, Mar 24, 2017.

1. EstronHawkKing

EstronHawkKing Well-Known Member

msn.com has a story on this. Gottlieb announced this while on the Dan Patrick show today. Not a whole lot of info in the article.

2. 1hawkeye1

1hawkeye1 Well-Known Member

I would tend to agree. Can't wait to see him in CHA. Thinking of throwing hair gel at him.:D

BigD and EstronHawkKing like this.
  3. hawkdrummer1

hawkdrummer1 Well-Known Member

This will be fun to watch, not everybody in Bloomington is crazy about bringing him back.

4. InGoodCo

InGoodCo Well-Known Member

there are plenty not happy about it - but I think it will work because of who he is - I mean, most of the Indiana HS coaches grew up idolizing Indiana basketball and Steve - he's going to get every bit of support from all parties involved and every one will be swimming in one direction - where as Crean created ripples. Good thing we got Nunge, I don't see how that's even possible with SA there.

5. 1977Hawkeye

1977Hawkeye Well-Known Member

I don't know what Gottlieb's sources are, but wasn't Rick Majerus to Iowa also a "done deal" back in 2007? Just to find out it was total BS? That deal is not done until it's DONE imo - we'll see.

Alford at Indiana will make for some interesting games, especially in Carver.. Kinda hope it happens. And, I really hope we punk the $h!t out of his Hoosier teams if he's their coach.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  6. FirstDownHawkeyes

FirstDownHawkeyes Well-Known Member

We can only hope SA gets the IU gig. SA has proven he can win in the preseason and be successful in shallow leagues. Winning in the B1G is an entirely different animal. This is a league that has had 7, yes 7, different current members compete in the NC game since 2002. SA won't take IU any farther than Crean.

7. 1977Hawkeye

1977Hawkeye Well-Known Member

And despite the success he's having this year, he was on the verge of being run out of town at the beginning of the season. Lonzo Ball giving him enough to have a big year and keep the wolves at bay for the time being, but his tenure was very tepid before 2016-17, by UCLA standards. He'd get some good recruits at IU, too, but he's still gotta coach them. I suspect you're right that the results may be similar to Crean.

8. InGoodCo

InGoodCo Well-Known Member

Similar to Crean would be 2 B1G titles & 2 sweet 16 appearances in a 5 year span... the difference is, if Steve does that at IU - he's a god because of who he is and Crean isn't because of who he is.

IndianaHawk and 99topdawg like this.
  9. BrueCrew3

BrueCrew3 Well-Known Member

I've heard the same thing. A lot of people in Indiana are still concerned about how he handled the Pierce situation. Some people on here think we hold a grudge for too long.

GO HAWKS!!!

10. hawkdrummer1

hawkdrummer1 Well-Known Member

WIth the Baylor thing (and others) the landscape is less forgiving now than is was when Stevie went all in with Pierce. So, despite it being 14 years ago (or so) it won't be forgotten.

11. Hawkfnntn

Hawkfnntn Well-Known Member

Is he just guessing like us? Or is he saying his 'sources' are stating that? I'd say it's a slam dunk he'd go. Too many indicators. His kids are done after this yr. He'll get a raise. (probably a significant one. Crean was making 1.5 more then him now) your money goes significantly further in Indiana than LA, No job security in LA. What's this one good year going to buy him as far as good will?? Going to Indiana he can be locked up till he wants to retire so long as he doesn't crater the program just about... He can be there 10 yrs no sweat probably more if he wants to. He'd get ran out of LA in 2-5 yrs almost no matter what. Yet when it's the most obvious is when sometimes it doesn't happen so once he's out of the tourney we'll see if UCLA gets him a raise a year after taking a year off his contract or if he's going home.

12. ChosenChildren

ChosenChildren Well-Known Member

Alford will be the coach at Indiana for a long time. He'll recruit the top talent in Indiana (Crean did not) and that will be enough for him to do very well there.

InGoodCo likes this.
  13. Playmaker

Playmaker Well-Known Member

-------A lot of people in Indiana are still concerned about how he handled the Pierce situation.

Seriously??? I'd say that less than 1% of them are concerned about that....they are concerned about him winning.

14. kameltoez102

kameltoez102 Well-Known Member

Things will stay the same with Alford. He is who he is and for a lot of people that tends to rub them the wrong way. I have a relative that works for Indiana and he has said the same thing that is mentioned here that you really have to be careful about what you say about Alford on campus because there is a good split of people who like and dislike him so the GOD factor I think has dimmed a little.

I am curious to see if his attitude and persona will affect his ability to recruit. As mentioned above Lonzo Ball really helped to dig him out of a hole and I would be surprised if Alford really had to work that hard to recruit him. Everything with this kid seems to be well calculated and it is no surprise that he is playing basketball for a high profile team in a large market, especially when you consider the fact that his dad said he wants him to play for the Lakers. It will remain to be seen if he can pick up the talent and coach them. College basketball is so corrupted anymore with all the one and done kids it has really made the product hard to watch and stay interested.

15. BrueCrew3

I'm not so sure about that. Nunge is NOT a top 100 prospect and I believe he's #5 at his position in Indiana. While that's good, a lot of people are saying he'd get his pick of Indiana players. Why not go after #1?

Just my $.02 .. .. GO HAWKS!!!

16. BrueCrew3

Yes .. seriously. From what I've heard it's closer to 50% than 1%.

GO HAWKS!!!

17. IndianaHawk

IndianaHawk Well-Known Member

I live in Indiana and a lot of people are concerned with his handling of the situation and his morals. Personally about 90% of the Indiana fans I have asked do not want him.

18. HawksMN

HawksMN Well-Known Member

logo.gif imagejpeg_0_17.jpg

They are going to have to paint this bad boy AGAIN!

19. IndianaHawk

IndianaHawk Well-Known Member

Don't forget how his idol Bobby spoke of women when getting raped. "They might as well lay there and enjoy it". And Stevie lives by BK's opinion of him.

20. trj

trj Well-Known Member

Set aside his personality...... I just don't think he is that great of a coach, at least at a big boy program. He is suited for a mid major, but I get the ego part of it and I am not going to fault him for it.

FirstDownHawkeyes likes this.