Foul Trouble - Bring It On!

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by MelroseHawkins, Jun 21, 2017.

1. atomicblue224

atomicblue224 Well-Known Member

If I remember Zach McCabe bodyslamming Travis Trice at MSU. Was it double fouls? Was it worth it?ideo: Tempers flare in Iowa-Michigan State game

thedukeofearl likes this.
  2. atomicblue224

I agreed with you on your post. Bring it on Izzo!

3. atomicblue224

4. MelroseHawkins

MelroseHawkins Well-Known Member

One other point about playing so many players, it is more for the opposing team to cover their defensive strategy & scheme against, I suppose. It makes it a bit more difficult to prepare for that.

That's a good thing.

5. ibahawkeye

ibahawkeye Well-Known Member

I know Fran has taken the strategy to sit guys with 2 fouls but he's also never had the depth that he's going to have with this roster which makes me wonder if that strategy could change.

I guess I'm not sure what makes more sense.... go ahead and risk having a guy get 3 fouls because we are so deep or why in the world risk the 3rd foul when we are this deep.

6. trj

trj Well-Known Member

100% agree..... It is weird, he understands the way the game is played now, but he has this hang up? Given his approach you would think he would understand this.

7. PCHawk

PCHawk Well-Known Member

It's so easy to get stuck in a way of thinking and never re-evaluate it.

8. MelroseHawkins

Man you're describing a lot of posters on this board!

If everybody thought like me, it would make my life a hell of a lot easier!

thedukeofearl and PCHawk like this.
  9. The Big LeHAWKski

The Big LeHAWKski Well-Known Member

My two-cents' worth would be that ideally we would have a consistent 9-man rotation.
    Yes, there will be injuries, hopefully none season-ending. Having 10+ options to plug & play is great though and intra-squad competition will push all the players for those valuable playing time minutes!
    We have this to ponder this year, with even more high quality talent looking to play at Iowa in the next few years.
    Me thinks Fran has a plan!!

10. thedukeofearl

thedukeofearl Well-Known Member

I do believe a player should sit after a quick second foul to settle him down on the bench, but depending on the individual involved, he could be inserted back into the game after a while. Still a gamble though. Pluses and minuses on the issue. If a player has the skill level and experience to play D and rebound without making silly fouls, I believe he should be back in the game, of course, getting a third foul certainly hampers a player's ability to play with abandon but not recklessly.....

:cool:

11. thedukeofearl

Game was long over at the time and Trice, in my opinion, deserved it. To play as he did, he invited such behavior. Throughout his career, he would cause rather rough replies to his style of play resulting in concussions and long periods of inactivity.....

[​IMG]

12. MelroseHawkins

The only problem as mentioned above is that if don't play said player, you could really lose that players contributions to the game if that player never really gets back into the flow all game. There is a fine line how to manage that.

13. MelroseHawkins

I can't stop watching. Luv how McCabe just keeps on walking. Like get off me pest.

The leg kick to trip is a beauty. Like he's done it before.

14. thedukeofearl

Yeah, Zach just strolls down the sideline as though he flicked his fingers at a fly.....

15. The Big LeHAWKski

I say put the pressure on/give the player the opportunity to prove to Coach that he can stay in the game and finish out the first half without picking up #3. Fran will have the depth this season to do this if he chooses.

16. The Big LeHAWKski

"Get outta here kid, ya bottha me!"

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    atomicblue224 likes this.