Garza, Nunge, Connor McCaffery All Ranked in Rivals Final 150 for '17

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by RobHowe, Apr 12, 2017.

1. RobHowe

RobHowe Administrator

Garza at 107

McCaffery at 116

Nunge at 147

LINK

thedukeofearl likes this.
  2. PCHawk

PCHawk Well-Known Member

Did this just come out? If so, I'm surprised Nunge isn't higher.

3. RobHowe

RobHowe Administrator

Yes. It was released an hour ago.

4. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

All in all it was a successful recruiting class. 3 top 150's will always be good for Iowa. I think Fran might really be starting to hit his stride in recruiting. If he can keep Wieskamp when the real big dawgs make a press and continues to fill scholarship vacancies with top 150 kids, this program is set up to be successful for a decade. I am really looking at 2019 though. Foster and McCorkle are both elite youngsters that project to be top 50 kids. If we can land both then I think a new ceiling for the Iowa program will be established. I do honestly believe though to land those kids Iowa will need to be in the upper quarter of the B1G so we've have got to make hay now to get these kids believing in Iowa.

5. SteveGarvey1

SteveGarvey1 Well-Known Member

No top 100 recruits though (just saving time and effort for the "How much longer should Fran get?" crowd).

thedukeofearl and koralakers like this.
  6. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

It's always debatable how much separation there is between the top 21- 300. I don't think any of these kids are slam dunk undeniable ballers, but they are all solid talents with varied skill sets and strengths. I consider it to be a successful haul comparatively to our menial average.

7. NikeHawk21

NikeHawk21 Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. We need to sustain a higher level of success on the court in order to continue to recruit better.

I think McCorkle and Foster are 2020 recruits. I'll be interested to see 2019 first and foremost. We should have 3 or 4 scholarships to use. Don't love our chances with Tyger Campbell but maybe Patrick can attract another top player to join him.

8. tksirius

tksirius HN's Love Doctor

thedukeofearl and NikeHawk21 like this.
  9. UncleHawk

UncleHawk Well-Known Member

If we get Tyger, I'd still like to go after Mcarton or Lucure. Without Tyger, I'd like to go for both Mcarton and Locure. That would give us a class of Patrick and 2 quick PGs. Plus, there'd be a 4th scholly to shoot for the moon with. Chol Marial for example.

NikeHawk21 likes this.
  10. NikeHawk21

A Tyger Tyreke backcourt is good with me!

11. 99topdawg

99topdawg Well-Known Member

Add in a front court of 5* Matthew Hurt and and 4*Kofi Cockburn and we've got a heck of a team...and a front court we could nickname UTI.

mopkins likes this.
  12. 99topdawg

Patrick McCaffrey is #60 and is a 4* small forward. However, Iowa is the only school so far that feels he's worthy of a scholarship offer.

13. BrueCrew3

BrueCrew3 Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure about that. My guess/assumption is that everybody stayed away from him knowing he was going to play for his dad.

Just my $.02 .. .. GO HAWKS!!!

HuckFinn likes this.
  14. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Why would anyone program extend an offer to a Sophomore from Iowa who's father is the head basketball coach for the largest state school? C'mon Man!

thedukeofearl and BrueCrew3 like this.
  15. RADMAN

RADMAN Well-Known Member

I agree. People that just look at numbers can't rationalize that fact. Smart phone society.

16. 99topdawg

[​IMG]

17. HawkGold

HawkGold Well-Known Member

Hawks are still going to be young next year. 24/7 ranks Hawks 5th in Big in recruiting. 10-8 is not a given.

For Big fans, the top ranking is Wisky at 21. Iowa is 5th. OSU continues to be low.

2 years and Iowa challenges.

Big 12 has 5 above Iowa

The Big scored low with zero teams in top 20 though Wisky and Purdue were right outside. Big 12 had only 1 but 4 in the top 30.

Top 20 recruiting ranking by Conference.

ACC 5 in top 20.
    Pac 10 has 5 top 20
    Mighty SEC has 4
    Big East 4
    C USA 1
    Big 12 has 1 in top 20

18. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Gotcha. You had me fooled.

19. NikeHawk21

Recruiting team rankings are at best an imperfect science. It's based on total points but when some schools are signing 4/5 players and some schools are signing 2 it creates a lot of variance.

For instance MSU is ranked 40 but has the #20 and #89 prospects. UW is ranked 21 with #64, #100, and #174. All else equal I'd probably take MSU's class. Not to mention MSU is in on a few other top 100 kids including a kid ranked 15. If they land him they will jump from 40 to inside the top 15, which just goes to show you how much variance there is. I have no idea if they even have a scholarship left (probably waiting on Bridges decision).

Last years Iowa's recruiting class ranked 39th, with five total commits. Realistically I think our class last year based on performance was at least top 20.

As far as a 10-8 conference record goes, you're right, nothing is given. With uneven schedules if we draw two games against say:

MSU
    Purdue
    Minnesota
    Indiana

A 10-8 record becomes very difficult. That's why the conference scheduling is so huge.

20. WindsorHawk

WindsorHawk Well-Known Member

Something tells me those posts will still come. I obviously can't prove this. But I honestly believe Garza would be top 100 if he had signed with Maryland instead of Iowa. And I suspect Nunge would be top 100 if he were going to Indiana. Many recruits gain or lose a star based on their college choice IMO.