Hawks look to start win streak of one at Breslin game thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Stanzi, Feb 25, 2020.

1. eveningnewsteam

eveningnewsteam Well-Known Member

He’s soft. Holy hell is he soft. Fine brick everything, but dammit your ass better be on the floor getting after loose balls, not falling asleep on D. He needs to wake the F up

2. echo44

echo44 Well-Known Member

The good JT did an excellent job on Winston and played one of his best games defensively, Winston only got hot while JT was on the bench.
    The bad JW has become very inconsistent.
    I also think Garza is great but not ready for the pros as he will face tillman types every night

3. dahlhawk

dahlhawk Well-Known Member

Did anyone really expect a Big title? Let’s just get healthy win our home games and prepare for the Tourneys. Beat Penn St. revenge Purdue, ride that mo to Illinois. It hurts because the refs stopped calling the game they called for 75 % of the game and kissed Izzo’s ass the last quarter of the game. Iowa didn’t rise to the occasion as well. I hope the players are not gassed from the grind of the season. Does anyone know it CJ had a setback or just needed more time?

4. seepig

seepig Well-Known Member

He was so bad shooting the last few games he's almost throwing up air balls. He's extremely weak at the rim missed another one tonight had 2 TO's on 2 other drives Fran should bench the kid bring him for 6 minutes per half almost Riley Till like and see if he can even provide a bench spark at some point.

5. DDThompson

DDThompson Well-Known Member

I can see them sweet16 but final4 like talking heads are saying ... I agree, I don’t see that at all

6. soofoohawk

soofoohawk New Member

How much will Joe W's confidence improve when CJ is back? Seems like the puzzle piece to me.

Northside Hawk likes this.
  7. Healzya

Healzya Well-Known Member

It looks like he is trying to spin the ball when he shoots or something. It looks really awkward.

seepig likes this.
  8. seepig

seepig Well-Known Member

No you go smaller with Evelyn and Toussaint and hopefully CJ can get back before the Big 10 tourney. And BTW Pemsl is shooting at a better % than Weiskamp is down the stretch.

thedukeofearl likes this.
  9. hawkeyewx

hawkeyewx Well-Known Member

Not according to the box score, and I don't remember a second make.

Kreiner - 2 of 5
    CMac - 2 of 4
    Toussaint - 1 of 2
    Evelyn - 1 of 5
    Garza - 0 of 5
    Wieskamp - 0 of 5

Team - 6 of 27

I'm not positive, but I think Garza has missed ten straight threes going back to last game. Last game I think he started out 2 for 2, but then ended up 2 for 7.

10. seepig

seepig Well-Known Member

I thought he had 1 in the first half then that 1 late but I could be wrong

11. trj

trj Well-Known Member

Yep. It is a confidence issue at this point. It is no longer about teams being physical with him or doubling him up.....he’s lost his mojo

HawkeyeWalker and PCHawk like this.
  12. hawkdrummer1

hawkdrummer1 Well-Known Member

Uh, no. The kid came in as a Freshman and never so much a blinked from his first game on. He can play in any arena. I just think he's hitting a slump. It happens...even to really good players. The shot doesn't fall, you force things, get out of your rhythm...and then your confidence dips. That's where he is right now...nothing looked comfortable tonight. Has to find a way to get it back..and hopefully we have a coaching staff that can help.

But he's not mentally weak.

13. STILLBUSTER

STILLBUSTER Well-Known Member

...and physically - approaching Mike Gesell levels in terms of getting stuffed on drives and out-muscled on boards. Thing is...he’s got 5 inches on MG!:eek: So, he’s pretty weak, all around relatively speaking.

spliff45 and tksirius like this.
  14. DDThompson

No. There’s not enough talent on bench to do that. He still plays good defense — although I caught him jogging back after missed shots this game.

If it was next season with JBo and CJ, yeah, I can see taking minutes away and make him fear losing minutes more than afraid of contact on the floor.

15. Xerxes

Xerxes Well-Known Member

MSU isn't up to their normal standard but their D is still tough as hell. It won the game for them down the stretch. Iowa couldn't get many clean looks while MSU was shooting wide open in rhythm 3s

hawkeyewx likes this.
  16. DDThompson

He wasn’t shooting well with CJ before he went out

spliff45 and tksirius like this.
  17. seepig

seepig Well-Known Member

I don't think the kid is mentally weak but he's on eggshells as far as his confidence is concerned and he is physically weak at the rim he's not Aaron White, Jared Uthoff OR Isaiah MOss finishing a fast break.

18. seepig

seepig Well-Known Member

So your answer is just let the kid continue to flounder in hopes he figures it out? I think we've been doing that like the last 8 games and we are still winning.

19. hawkeyewx

hawkeyewx Well-Known Member

CMac continues to be steady as a rock. Tonight he was 4-8 (2 threes) and had 7 assists and 0 turnovers.

20. tksirius

tksirius HN's Love Doctor

His confidence dips because he's mentally weak. Bohannon's confidence never dips because he's not mentally weak.

spliff45 and STILLBUSTER like this.