High School Football in Iowa 2019

Discussion in 'Football' started by EstronHawkKing, Aug 15, 2019.

1. EstronHawkKing

EstronHawkKing Well-Known Member

For those of you who live in Iowa, what are the teams in your area looking like? I have heard Solon might be good enough to de-throne CR Xavier. The Des Moines Register beat writers all picked CR Kennedy, IC West and DSM Dowling as the best 4A teams. I wouldn't count out Bettendorf and Cedar Falls. They all picked Dowling to go undefeated and win it all again. That Iowa running back recruit, I think he was at South East Polk last year? But his parents moved to West DSM and now he will be playing for Dowling. The rich get richer I guess. A lot of people including some head coaches in 4A think the DSM schools like Dowling, Valley, Ankeny, and other bigger/better schools need to go to class 5A and have their own playoffs. Cedar Rapids Kennedy will host West DSM Valley at Kingston Stadium mid season, should be a good one. Hope Kennedy kicks their butts! By the way, that Kennedy lineman who verballed to Iowa (he's a junior) I have seen him twice in person in the last few months, He's huge! He looks like he could play for Iowa right now.

I have also heard CR Washingtn doesn't have enough sophomores to form a team, so they might have to move some freshman up. I have also heard that the IC Regina freshman may not have enough players as well. Parents are scared of the concussion issue.

Lumberman likes this.
  2. HawkGold

HawkGold Well-Known Member

The numbers game has been impacting schools in my state, especially bigger schools in highly educated areas. Powerhouses falling flat on the face. Kids from small schools away from universities getting fb scholarships at unheard of pace.

My small hs in Iowa was a power house and now plays 8 man. Few attend games. No real rivals anymore. Very non athletic obese kids playing that wouldnt have by shape years ago.

Question...are schools like Mediapolis really that good or has the competition been reduced? In the day they had to play Mt Vernon, Mid Prairie, Columbus and others. I think a year or so the SEI had teams playing for championships in A, 1A, and 2A.

I looked at my hs year book....the players weeent obese.

3. Lumberman

Lumberman Well-Known Member

I have a very athletic 8th grader at home.

Momma says “No football.” Cross country is the alternative. It’s all about the concussion issue for us.

Clearly, we are not the only suburban parents thinking that way, either.

4. CP87

CP87 Well-Known Member

My kids are still a few years away from organized sports, but I think the thing giving me more pause than concussions is the requirements put upon a kid who wants to do team sports. Better start that $1000/year travel team by the time they are 10, otherwise they will be left behind!

And as ridiculous as it is, it is true because of the system in place. You have to play in those leagues to have a clue what you are doing when you get to middle school. If you don't, you will get left behind because that middle school coach (and even more so the parents chirping at him/her) wants to WIN, not develop future athletes. So if you don't show up knowing what you are doing, you don't get attention, coaching, or playing time. So at every level, you get further and further behind, all because you did not want to pay $1000/year and give up 30 Sundays a year for your 10 year old's youth sports experience. It is like the birth-month effect, but amplified.

Weirdly, I almost think football might be the destination for the kids whose parents don't want their young lives consumed by youth sports. It is less skill-intensive than sports like soccer, basketball, or baseball, and more dependent on raw athletic tools and toughness. A good athlete could come to it late and still be successful (see Kaevon Merriweather, Alaric Jackson, Tom Brady, etc.). Also, if participation dwindles, those coaches will be more than happy to develop kids as "projects."

And while some of the kids getting left out of the youth-sports complex will be those fed up with the silliness of the system, many will probably be those that simply cannot afford it. Football might be the easiest sport for these kids to break into as they get older. Football could become a sport almost exclusively for the lowest socioeconomic rungs, like boxing (I think @HawkGold has made this prediction).

5. kameltoez102

kameltoez102 Well-Known Member

Here in the twin cities it is getting frustrating. I have been coaching now for over 6 years and our youth program 3-8th grades has been relatively flat for numbers which is good compared to a lot of of our surrounding communities which are either folding or drastically reduced in numbers. The thing that is really strange up here is the baseball and hockey players are pressured to play weekend tournaments etc during football season. They schedule these tournaments on purpose and it really hurts the numbers and puts the pressure on the kids to specialize.

There is also a very large cultural issue going on with kids not going out for sports, quitting, or just not being eligible. Our varsity team was pretty competitive a few years ago in class 4A up here ended up 9-3 for the season. Now they are lucky if they have 50 kids out this year and win 2 games. Last year they had a freshman squad game where it was at home in good weather and we had two (that's right 2) parents show up to the game. We didn't even have enough fans to support the chain gang.

I have told our players that if they are really serious about playing football there will be opportunities to play at the next level because football will not go away and the amount of players is going down. It is sad the importance of sports is anymore to some of these communities and kids. Growing up in small town Iowa that was the thing to do and support and I think it reflects a lot on where we are as a society as well.