Holy shit how wrong has this board been?

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by InGoodCo, Dec 13, 2019.

1. DDThompson

DDThompson Well-Known Member

Slow the roll but I think there are a couple of difference makers this season.

Garza has taken a huge step forward.

CJ can snipe and plays defense—he is a glue guy.

The questions are how much the potential loss of the difference maker called JBo will be (of course)

And how quickly can Brooklyn and Eve fill the gap of that loss in different ways (of course) other than 3pt shooting.

thedukeofearl likes this.
  2. Northside Hawk

Northside Hawk Well-Known Member

I was the harshest critic on this board after DePaul, even more so than @InGoodCo. I saw a team not hustle, play mentally weak, quit on plays, and basically act like they didn't give a rats ass. I predicted a five win season if that type effort continued.

I'm converted. Im not advocating NCAA'S yet because, like several have commented, we've seen this movie before. But were not repeating 2018 either, which was my biggest fear. We've already won in two tough venues and knocked off another tough team on a neutral court, something most of Dr. Toms 1990's teams couldn't accomplish.

koralakers and InGoodCo like this.
  3. Hawkfnntn

Hawkfnntn Well-Known Member

The kind of shots that Garza can take is just more vast then what Cook could. He's just got more bullets in the holster if that makes sense. Garza being able to face up at any distance pretty much and then dribble down with his back to the basket and create whatever the best shot for him is based on how the defender is playing him is what makes a great offensive post player that. Cooks moves seemed predetermined almost. Like if he caught it on the one block he was going to do that lefty hook no matter what. I don't see that sort of play with Garza. If you could put Cooks legs and explosiveness on Garza holy crap..

Ree4 and thedukeofearl like this.
  4. DDThompson

DDThompson Well-Known Member

I don’t know about the last sentence because the Big10 is brutal ...

But you’re right that this stretch is what it has been with JBo not on par with his normal touch.

But lack of practice time has given him plenty-o-time to work on his Cyclone trolling — shoes on the court and the blowing of the kiss to the student section....epoch

InGoodCo likes this.
  5. Northside Hawk

Northside Hawk Well-Known Member

You would have Kevin Durant, that's what you would have.

Hawkfnntn likes this.
  6. ArvadaHawk

ArvadaHawk Well-Known Member

i think .500 would be a hell of an achievement. wouldn't get them into ncaa, but i think we need to have realistic/relative expectations for this team. injuries have sort of derailed what their potential could have been.

koralakers likes this.
  7. ArvadaHawk

i like your point on JT at the ft line and, to me, for a pg his ability to knock down the ft shows the ice in his veins and he just needs the experience.

Knight78 likes this.
  8. ArvadaHawk

yep, B1G teams are gonna be big and fast and relentless, as usual.

HaydenHawk56 likes this.
  9. westender

westender Well-Known Member

A lot of great teams in the Big Ten.

10. koralakers

koralakers Well-Known Member

Man, I am actually REALLY EXCITED about the future. Anytime I’ve thought that, I usually temper my enthusiasm, or something really bad happens to Iowa basketball. Hope the second part doesn’t happen cuz I really love Fran and the kids on this team! Even starting to think the twins coming in could be huge!

thedukeofearl likes this.
  11. JPinIC

JPinIC Active Member

In conference, Iowa has 9 more games against the current top 25 of Kenpom and that does not include @Indiana, Wisconsin or 2 games against a very talented Illinois team. I am impressed with Illinois they are slowly putting it all together.

12. PCHawk

PCHawk Well-Known Member

Great? Not sure about that. The main thing is there are only 2 bad teams. Every other team is a tough out.

13. PCHawk

PCHawk Well-Known Member

So we need to win 3 of the ones you mentioned and all 5 of the ones you didn't mention to get to .500.

14. WindsorHawk

WindsorHawk Well-Known Member

In reference to the NCAA Tournament... Remember how long Nebraska was still looking good in the various metrics late last year when it was obvious they weren’t that good...because of their non conference. Playing this type of schedule...and winning...will carry a lot of weight for several weeks into conference play. It almost makes us an NCAA lock at 10-10 in the BT.

15. WindsorHawk

WindsorHawk Well-Known Member

Looking at our conference schedule I think 11-9 is realistic based on what I’ve seen from our team and other teams. That’s with us winning what we should and pulling no major upsets IMO.

16. uihawk82

uihawk82 Well-Known Member

Is this Ulis kid related to Tyler Ulis IIRC who Fran tried to get before he went to kentucky

17. PCHawk

PCHawk Well-Known Member

It's his bro.

18. ForeverHawk

ForeverHawk Well-Known Member

It wasn’t much of a Texas Tech team either after we beat them, then they beat #1 Louisville.

Ree4, 1hawkeye1 and thedukeofearl like this.
  19. hawkeyebob62

hawkeyebob62 Well-Known Member

Yeah, looking at the schedule, I really saw no "100% sure" wins on it. But I also didn't really see any "we have zero chance to win" games, either.

20. Stanzi

Stanzi Well-Known Member

Nebraska and Northwestern are really bad. It doesn’t mean we can’t lose to them but they’re really not good.