How many we take in this class? I say . . .

Discussion in 'Football' started by karras, Jun 18, 2019.

1. karras

karras Well-Known Member

2. NikeHawk21

NikeHawk21 Well-Known Member

We are at 14 now with the Gulley commit this morning. I would say.

-TE (Johnson or Lachey)
    -DE (Moore or Witt or other)
    -WR (Mack - this weekend)
    -DB (Lawson - this weekend)
    -OL (McLaughlin or other)
    -LB (Higgins)

-A few late additions or others

I would say 21-24 seems pretty reasonable at this point. It seems the staff is getting the guys they want early so no reason not to keep the momentum going.

I really like this class. My top target remaining would be Joe Moore, but if we could land any of the three remaining 4*s (Johnson, McLaughlin, or Moore) I think we’d probably have a top 25 type class.

3. RobHowe

RobHowe Administrator

I think there's a good chance there will be three tight ends in this class from what I'm told.

4. eledmonster

eledmonster Well-Known Dog

In your opinion and not asking for any inside information, who do you think we are looking particularly solid with?

5. RobHowe

RobHowe Administrator

If you’re asking about TEs...

Lachey is officially visiting this weekend. Good shot with him. Not whether or not that happens on visit.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised by Theo Johnson. With a kid like him, I usually take the field. He seems to really like Penn State and it’s closer to home.

I thought Fauria might choose Iowa. He ended up at his father’s alma mater. Not overly surprising.

I touched base with Kole Taylor in the spring and he said he might visit. He hasn’t made it yet.

Could end up being a guy like LaPorta, who the coaches find later in the process.

eledmonster likes this.
  6. pootspot

pootspot Well-Known Member

I’m down with another LaPorta think he’ll do well

7. HawkleberryFinn

HawkleberryFinn Well-Known Member

I don't care about how many or who we take--I just want more cool names.

8. karras

karras Well-Known Member

I would like to change my prediction

[​IMG]

9. Stanzi

Stanzi Well-Known Member

Lachey officially makes 22

10. NikeHawk21

I’m not sure filling the class earlier really changes anything as far as scholarships available for the coaches to use.

11. karras

karras Well-Known Member

We'll find out. But taking this many this early? Kirk likes to save a few scholarships for late in the process, hoping he can flip a blue chip or maybe just pick up a rough diamond nobody else noticed.

NikeHawk21 likes this.
  12. NikeHawk21

I’m sure they’ll still be looking for under the radar guys and keeping a scholarship open for Theo Johnson, but that seems unlikely.

I think landing guys early means they’ve gotten the guys they want at the positions they want, so I’m not sure they will just grab guys just because. I suppose if we have a guy or two transfer out this summer or early fall that could change things as well.

13. westender

westender Well-Known Member

Assuming we don't lose 1 or 2 until they actually can sign.

14. karras

karras Well-Known Member

Some of those verbals are an insurance policy? Seems a tad cynical but not outside the realm of possibility. I think the portal has changed things. More FBS players testing the waters and moving elsewhere. That will affect the number of preps schools (including Iowa) take annually. Iowa was good for 21/22 signees per year. That's probably higher now knowing that more players will be transferring or leaving early for a paycheck.

15. Hawk90

Hawk90 Well-Known Member

I'll bet the MAC/mid-majors are breathing easier, Iowa is almost done, no stealing this year.

KCHawkeye likes this.