Iowa's Great Offensive Line and Senior QB

Discussion in 'Football' started by MelroseHawkins, Oct 14, 2019.

1. 1977Hawkeye

1977Hawkeye Well-Known Member

KF must have really hated 2002. Brad Banks was maybe not the most skilled QB we have had, but man, what a weapon he was due to his feet. That really added another dimension to our offense that year. That's just too darned SEXY. Haven't had anything resembling that since - except for maybe the CJB situation, as you pointed out.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why Iowa doesn't recruit QB's that can run. I'm not just talking mobile where a QB can tuck it and run for 7 yards once or twice a game. I'm talking about someone that has the ability to rip off a 20-30+ yard run. Someone you can actually design running plays around.

Ree4 likes this.
  2. skinnykilmer17

skinnykilmer17 Well-Known Member

Hell the kid from Penn St beat us with his feet.

MNHawk, N8theGr8 and SteveGarvey1 like this.
  3. revkev73

revkev73 Well-Known Member

An immobile and predictable QB option, with Iowa's 3-4 tough games and 5-6 fairly easy ones, pretty much guarantees a 7-5 year at Iowa and another bowl, and bonus, but a mobile QB offers a much higher ceiling, but risks upsetting daddy and getting to 6-6 or 5-7. There is always a trade off. The fan base seems to like what Iowa has been and is under KF, so, it isn't that complicated.

Hunter Dekkers, at West Sioux, is in his third year of starting HS, already has two state titles, holds the state passing records and is a left handed and mobile QB, 6-3, 220...life-long Iowa fan, signed with ISU a couple of weeks ago...The Kirk/Brian sign said...athletic, strong armed, multi-sport, mobile, creative, QBs, need not apply, I guess especially if they were born and raised in Iowa.

Iowa under KF is often quite puzzling and even moreso when it seems so predictable.

MoseSchrute likes this.
  4. Fryowa

Fryowa Well-Known Member

That's an old narrative and it hasn't been true in a long time.

Since the class of 2012, take a wild guess how many offensive lineman actually play snaps in the NFL.

Scherff, Daniels, and Blythe. The only other guys from that entire time period who are even on NFL rosters are Boettger, Render, and Donnal, and they don't play. So we have 3 guys out of 7 draft classes who see the field.

Since BF took that unit over and now Kirk's little elf Polasek, Iowa's OL production is a shell of what it used to be. We are not in any way, shape, or form OL U anymore.

Iceman and SCHawkeye2 like this.
  5. MelroseHawkins

MelroseHawkins Well-Known Member

Simply put, KF has never and does not believe in putting the team's QB at risk. He feels eventually they will get an injury playing that style.

6. westender

westender Well-Known Member

That Stanzi kid and that Beathard kid were turrrible weren't they?????????????

7. westender

That and when you cannot run the ball effectively it just gums up all else. Makes playing D a lot easier.

hawkeyebob62 likes this.
  8. hawkeyebob62

hawkeyebob62 Well-Known Member

Stanzi had a very good senior year, but the team didn't. But Stanzi's late-season 2010 season suffered from exactly the same fate as Beathard (2016) and Stanley (2019): poor line play brought about by injuries and/or OL guys playing out of position. It's simple as that.

As for "designed" runs, let's just say that "Stanley" and "designed runs" is very much of a "need-to-pick-the-right-time-and-place". Stanley on a QB sneak? All day long. Designed run? Let's not push it.

And before everyone gets on Stanley's case for "mobility", he had a great play where he got away from blitzing PSU players, moved to his left and threw a great pass on the run for a first down.

uihawk82 likes this.
  9. hawkeyebob62

A RB can make someone miss if he has some space. Our OL isn't creating it.

10. hawkeyebob62

Except, you also need to be able to run, AND have adequate enough blocking to delay the effect of the blitz. See anything missing, here?

11. hawkeyebob62

Not that hesitant on Beathard. The reservation on Beathard was that he tended to throw--ALWAYS--to his first option, and when flushed, locked on one receiver downfield. That improved markedly, hence, CJB being elevated. If you remember his pick-6 against Purdue, he never even went to his second read. But he also took that as an opportunity to improve and, much like Stanzi, shrugged off the play as if it didn't happen.

12. MelroseHawkins

MelroseHawkins Well-Known Member

Stanzi was terrific at flushing the bad plays. Not all QB's are good at that.

13. hawkeyebob62

Actually too many are NOT good at it. The "great" ones are, though. Probably the ballsiest in that regard is Roethlisberger. I have never seen anyone shrug off crappy plays the way he has. He's almost TOO much that way, he's the type that would throw a pick-6, then next series audible himself to run a bootleg just to show how much brass he has. It may not always work, but the guy has it.

14. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Well-Known Member

Stanzi and CJ both got injured.

15. Iowa Tex

Iowa Tex Well-Known Member

If Mansell leaves good luck. Nate 2.0 isn’t as mobile and the line won’t be as good. That’s not a great recipe for success.

16. okeefe4prez

okeefe4prez Well-Known Member

And Drew Tate. Tate's shoulder was hamburger his senior season.

HuckFinn likes this.
  17. N8theGr8

N8theGr8 Well-Known Member

I somewhat agree in that we are no longer OLine U, but we have 3 future NFL starters on the line this year in Wirfs, Jackson, and Linderbaum. Wirfs and Jackson may even be starting in the NFL next season. Polasek is just awful at preparing them for what they'll see on a weekly basis from the defenses.

And it appears we're likely to trend down too, because just imagine what next year will look like without Wirfs and Jackson.

18. westender

The Hawks offense, The Slowest Show on Earth. Just the opposite of the Rams offense with Warner.

19. Fryowa

Fryowa Well-Known Member

Wirfs I agree on (which I've mentioned); Jackson is definitely regressing and Linderbaum has a lot of ball to play against Big Ten DLs before you can make that assumption.

20. SCHawkeye2

SCHawkeye2 Well-Known Member

Completely agree.