Is Iowa Better Without Tyler Cook?

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by WinOneThisCentury, Apr 8, 2019.

1. WinOneThisCentury

WinOneThisCentury Well-Known Member

Boy...the regular contributors are sure setting a great example about not dissing players. Even asking this question is a dis to Tyler Cook. How is it not? I'll bet Tyler Cook thinks Iowa is better with him. Question...if you were playing a pick up game, who would you take? Tyler Cook or Ryan Kreiner/Cordell Pemsl? I'm taking Tyler Cook.

lightning1 likes this.
  2. RobHowe

RobHowe Administrator

Don’t group me with Miller and Deace. :D

3. HawkGold

HawkGold Well-Known Member

Cook has a ferocious first step and jump. He doesn't get higher or as high as some like on TN though. First step and quick jump is hard to replace.

4. WinOneThisCentury

WinOneThisCentury Well-Known Member

Sorry...yeah...I would distance myself from that podcast too. Jon sounded like he's on downers...and spiraling down the Hawkeye drain. I'm actually optimistic about next years team. They can shoot it and they have shown they can defend when they are committed to it. They will all be stronger, and once again...we are long and have multiple scorers.

5. Cyhawk

Cyhawk Well-Known Member

In short - No TC on the team is a plus. Sr leadership always trumps freshman youth

6. Stanzi

Stanzi Well-Known Member

7. PCHawk

PCHawk Well-Known Member

Yes we will be better next year without Tyler Cook. But we would be even more betterer next year with him.

8. Hawkfnntn

Hawkfnntn Well-Known Member

Depends on the team... Questions like this are tough in that all the anselary factors aren't going to be the same. Itll be different without him no doubt about it. But does that mean we'll struggle as a team? Hard telling. Garza may take a significant step in his game. Adding Nunge with his shooting may be a better overall duo in that their games compliment each other well. Or maybe not hard telling today. JW with a yr of experience might just turn into a dominant player and change the dynamic of the team. Or maybe he sophomore slump. I dont think that but who knows.

Here are the tougher things to replace that Cook brought. Rebounding, screen setting, drawing fouls and shot attempts. Yeah laugh up the shot attempts but the offense went through him a lot. Where are those all going to go? And I bring up screen setting because I think Nunge committed fouls last yr attempting to set screens at times. Garza as well. Takes a lot of coaching and practice for those bigs to not stick their hips and elbows out. Plus guards have to make sure they're set before using them. Cook I thought did a good job at that. Just wish hed have rolled to the rim every time instead of fanning out a lot.
    I bring up drawing fouls because I'll go out on a limb without knowing this but I bet he drew the most fouls of anyone else on the team and that it wasnt close. Our team not getting into the bonus earlier in games would change the flow of how we play and how Fran likes them to. So that dynamic would be very interesting to me as well

lightning1 and koralakers like this.
  9. 1hawkeye1

1hawkeye1 Well-Known Member

Iowa will be more successful without Cook. It's not because I hate TC. Jon and Steve said it much more eloquently than I can. I highly suggest you give it a listen. Very insightful and well though out.
    Basically, because of the kind of player TC is, he needs the ball a lot. The problem is, he isn't very efficient outside of 7-8' from the basket. Teams know this and force him out by crowding our guards. So he has to come out to 15' to get the ball. Then he has to dribble his way in. He isn't good at that and turns it over way too much. This team will be better off relying on JBo, Weiskamp, Moss (if he's back) and Garza.
    And BTW, Cook will be much better off moving to the next level. Whatever that may be whether it's Euro ball or another level. He's gone as far as he can go at the collegiate level. I wish him the best and thank him for all he's done for Iowa. Thanks Tyler! Good luck!

10. trj

trj Well-Known Member

If he was the guy that we saw in the 2nd half against Tennessee where the team feeds off that energy...... Iowa is definitely better with him. Nunge/Pemsl won't be able to give you that, at least not right away.

eledmonster likes this.
  11. smitharooney

smitharooney Well-Known Member

We went on quite a few runs without him this year . Hawks will be fine

12. NEIChawk

NEIChawk Well-Known Member

Yes, we will.

Bigtenchamp likes this.
  13. HaydenHawk56

HaydenHawk56 Well-Known Member

Iowa is a better dunking team with him. I'm pretty certain of that.

14. Tierney

Tierney Well-Known Member

Next year at this time there probably will be a thread asking if Iowa will be better off without Bohannon. The beat will go on.

15. dahlhawk

dahlhawk Well-Known Member

I will have to rewatch some games to see
    I might have to rewatch some games to see these Cook screens you speak of, his rebounding was very sporadic. I thought Cook's greatest value to Iowa was pumping up the crowd and his teammates. His dunks were electric and brought the crowd to their feet. He brought a legit presence and respect to the team. I believe his points and rebounds can be replaced but his intangibles can't be by the current roster.

Hawkfnntn and tmess1989 like this.
  16. PCHawk

PCHawk Well-Known Member

I'll bet you however much you want that they shoot a higher percentage on dunks next year.

17. hoxrock

hoxrock Well-Known Member

We won't know for sure until next season. I have to say it will be a plus to reduce our turnovers per game by about 3 or 4. I've said before that Cook's athletic gifts will be hard to replace but not his production.

18. TJHawkeye

TJHawkeye Well-Known Member

Tyler could have had a lot better season if he could have put in the same effort every game as he did during those runs he led. It was almost like he was two different players, especially in the rebounding and defensive areas of his game.

19. Bigtenchamp

Bigtenchamp Well-Known Member

The answer honestly is... neither better or worse.

We'd been more or less the same with him or without him.

20. koralakers

koralakers Well-Known Member

We will be DIFFERENT without him. His Skillset is UNIQUE from typical Iowa players over last 30 years. High flying, athletic, rim-rattling. But, with that some mistakes when trying too much.
    Typical Iowa players are high ‘bball IQ’ guys, but often lack athleticism seen on many P6 programs.