James Daniels Headed to NFL

Discussion in 'Football' started by RobHowe, Jan 5, 2018.

1. tksirius

tksirius HN's Love Doctor

How does this affect Jon's comment about 2017 being foundation building for the next 2 years? Is 2018 going to be a foundation building year for 2019 & 2020?

Fryowa and phdsvp like this.
  2. ohhawk

ohhawk Well-Known Member

No one has mentioned yet that he incurred some leg (knee) injury problems in both 2016 and this year. We know what games he missed but we don't know what games he may have been playing at less than 100%. Seems a bit unfair to criticize or project w/o knowing all data.

HawkeyeWalker likes this.
  3. kameltoez102

kameltoez102 Well-Known Member

Regardless of guys leaving for injury, NFL, Grades, discipline, etc the next guys in have to be ready to play regardless. Sure it hurts but Its not like Daniels was a super durable guy anyway that never missed a game. Bar none players need to be ready to play and the coaches need to work on getting them the tools to do so. At least we have some time and it opens another scholarship. I myself am a little shocked that he left but I don't scour the game footage after the games and grade the o-line. I think part of the reason is the quality of lineman in the NFL right now. There are a lot of teams that need talented young guys. Good luck to Mr. Daniels, I hope your hard work is rewarded!

4. HawkInATX

HawkInATX Well-Known Member

It's also very likely that he isn't necessarily being looked at by NFL teams and scouts as just a center. He has experience at G, T and C in a pro-set line under an HC with a track record for producing long-term NFL contributors on the OL. I wouldn't be surprised to see him drafted in the second round and being immediately converted a guard. His athleticism means he'll be able to block straight up or pull. Also, moving him to guard allows him to not have to worry about reading the defense as much as a center would and to focus on using his athleticism and instincts instead.

5. HawkPrdatr40

HawkPrdatr40 Well-Known Member

Just keep on digging and turning TK.. :cool:

6. 99topdawg

99topdawg Well-Known Member

I know that Levi Duwa made a switch to center toward the end of the season but I have never heard anything since. Any idea how he's progressed there? When I heard this, it was the first time I got the feeling Daniels was gone, even if it had absolutely nothing to do with it.

7. tksirius

tksirius HN's Love Doctor

It was a serious question.

8. HawkGold

HawkGold Well-Known Member

Woo Hoo. Actually the score was better. Maybe this is indicative of under performance?

9. Xerxes

Xerxes Well-Known Member

It’s interesting how Daniels didn’t have a standout season and wasn’t recognized for doing so yet Wisconsin’s entire OL was dominant and recognized as doing so but will they lose anyone early to the NFL?

HawkeyeWalker likes this.
  10. HawkPrdatr40

HawkPrdatr40 Well-Known Member

When it comes to Iowa Football you lack in the serious question Dept

11. Hawkfnntn

Hawkfnntn Well-Known Member

Yeah by no means is Wadley a 25 touch a game guy at that level. The guy who's in the NFL now he reminds me of is that Redskins kid that got hurt Thompson. He wasn't setting the league on fire or anything but was clearly a huge part of their offense. I think he was leading them in receptions this year at the time he got hurt. But there's no reason Wadley couldn't get 5 rushes and 3 or 4 catches a game and return kicks. Just has to find right fit

12. ibahawkeye

ibahawkeye Well-Known Member

13. RobHowe

RobHowe Administrator

Right after he moved he got hurt again. Missed bowl prep. Sounds like he has little to no experience. We'll have to see if he's healthy and able to make any progress in the spring.

99topdawg likes this.
  14. BrianFerentzForPresident

BrianFerentzForPresident Well-Known Member

You’re talking out of your ass.

Fryowa and tksirius like this.
  15. BrianFerentzForPresident

BrianFerentzForPresident Well-Known Member

It’s actually a solid question.

16. hawkeyesgonewild

hawkeyesgonewild Well-Known Member

good luck james. thank you for being a hawkeye

HawkeyeWalker and RobHowe like this.
  17. Fryowa

Fryowa Well-Known Member

Then you haven’t read much. I haven’t seen anything that suggests he’s less than an early third rounder and most say second.

18. HomerChampless

HomerChampless Well-Known Member

I think one could as easily blame Iowa coaches for Iowa's lack of success as a team as laud Iowa coaches for churning out pro-caliber players. Gooo NFL farm team!!!

19. phdsvp

phdsvp Well-Known Member

He totally should go pro. He'll be drafted in the first three rounds and make millions. Good for him.

That said, expectations for 2018 don't change a bit. We supposedly have state-of-the-art facilities, a coaching staff making millions and (allegedly) one of the best S&D coaches in the game. Y'all like to say "next man in" all the time. Well, shut up and "next man in" us a starting center. You have nine months.

Hawkfnntn and Fryowa like this.
  20. Stanzi

Stanzi Well-Known Member

Want to put some scratch on it? I say no earlier than the fourth round. You take the first three rounds?