McGary Out Indefintely

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by sportstalent, Dec 27, 2013.

1. sportstalent

sportstalent Well-Known Member

It isn't all that hard ;)

2. WindsorHawk

WindsorHawk Well-Known Member

This only weakens Michigan IMO. Michigan has already done all it can do to help the conference's RPI, SOS, etc. since non conference play is over.

3. JonDMiller

JonDMiller Publisher/Founder

For his professional future, McGary would have been better off breaking a leg or something like that. Back issues are not what you want an NBA GM considering...the invisible unknown. Too bad for him, but I doubt his pro stock will ever be higher than it was last year. Hope I am wrong and he comes back next year and has the type of season to get him back in the picture.

4. JonDMiller

JonDMiller Publisher/Founder

If he were 100%, you don't think that impacts the close losses they've had in Ames, at home to #1 Arizona, etc? I do.

5. 22hawkeyes

22hawkeyes Well-Known Member

Does basketball have the same sort of injury insurance that football does? I heard Brandon Scherff opted for injury insurance that pays out if he is hurt and misses the nfl. I did not know this was an option. Anyone know how this works? Same in basketball?

6. hawkjunkie

hawkjunkie Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how insurance policies run for college basketball players electing to stay an extra year(or two)?? Are the policies written with the a player's current stock value, at the time they decide to stay an extra year (McGary being a low lottery pick last season), OR is it written with a potential future value?? I suppose, with this being a high risk policy, it could go either way, depending on the value of the policy premium... but I am not insurance dude...

I like it when a player stays and shows a commitment to their school (eg. McGary, Scherff), but hope they get something in return for their allegiance, if something prevents their not making the pros.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  7. sportstalent

Agreed Jon and I think he is being very undervalued to the importance of his team this season because at no time was he anywhere near 100%.

8. tm3308

tm3308 Well-Known Member

I would think it would reflect the stock at the time of the decision to stay. If you're only going to get insured for the stock you have at the time of an injury after electing to stay, what was the point of the policy in the first place?

9. RocknRollface

RocknRollface Well-Known Member

Agreed. Hes allot better than some are giving him credit for here.

Hes got fantastic agility for being 6'10 and built like an offensive lineman.

Clearly wasnt 100 percent and in shape this year.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  10. hawkfan33

hawkfan33 Banned

So when Michigan was number one in the country in early Feb last year and McGary was averaging about 7 and 5, you didn't think they had a chance at winning a title?

11. Clowns

Clowns Well-Known Member

Knew he shouldn't have played so soon

12. trj

trj Well-Known Member

Shoot me, I was one of those guys that thought he made the right decision coming back. As great as he was in the tournament I wanted to see more. Playing with his back to basket, being more of a scoring presence in the paint, etc.

13. 1hawkeye1

1hawkeye1 Well-Known Member

Hate to see this happen to a young person. Seems like the only thing a back surgery ever leads to is more back surgeries.
    I wish him well.

14. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

i never said his loss would not impact their season, but if anyone thinks Michigan is just going to roll over and play dead because one player is out for the year then they are sadly mistaken. Michigan will still be very tough to beat Make or break I don't think so. Have an impact sure, but break I don't think so. That's all I was saying.

15. ibahawkeye

ibahawkeye Well-Known Member

Nobody is saying they will roll over and play dead.

Keep in mind they were ranked #7 in the country prior to their loss to ISU and I would say a lot of that ranking had to do with returning a guy who could have been a first round draft pick after his freshman year and voted as preseason all American.

At this point I'm not sure mich is a tourney team so yeah I do believe this injury is make or break and already hurt them as others have stated that he was never at 100% this year.

16. WindsorHawk

WindsorHawk Well-Known Member

I don't think a healthy McGary was going to do a thing in the NBA this year. I don't think a healthy McGary was going to be an All American this year at Michigan. I do think a healthy McGary was crucial to Michigan's success this year.

I don't think White, Uthoff or Marble are going to be All Americans but I definitely think losing one of them for the season would be a blow. Losing McGary will result in some likely wins now being losses and could very well be a back breaker for Michigan IMO. They have a decent shot at the NCAAs but very little chance of making any kind of a run...again IMO.

17. hawkfan33

hawkfan33 Banned

McGary and Michigan were both vastly overrated at the beginning of the season. McGary is a solid player but not close to a first team All-American even when healthy.

18. sportstalent

Because you know he never improved from working out all offseason, but was never healthy this season. I know you and a lot of people on here do not think he is that good, but I would like to see him healthy before making that judgement. In the games he looked to be himself, he put up a lot better numbers than he had the previous season. He did show the ability that his game was expanded, but he was not healthy.

19. hawkfan33

hawkfan33 Banned

I assumed he would put up bigger numbers this season as Burke and Hardaway have both moved on. In the two games he played against teams with good frontcourts this year, FSU and Arizona, he looked like a pretty average player. He is a very good rebounder, just not very skilled offensively.

20. sportstalent

I will leave it at this. McGary got hurt in August, he practiced one full week this season.