Michigan, Nebraska and Iowa?

Discussion in 'Football' started by MelroseHawkins, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Jonrn

Jonrn Well-Known Member

Michigan has won 0.5 national championships in the last 60+ years. They are the most overrated program in history. As much as I hate to admit it, Nebraska has waaaaayyyy more championship history then Michigan. Michigan is an Ohio state wannabe and it’s been that way for most of their history.

Brayton likes this.
  2. Northside Hawk

Northside Hawk Well-Known Member

And yet with virtually the identical amount of wins since 2001 there are da haters here who will gush about Michigan's athleticism, their schemes, and their tradition.

What da haters will never tell you is that Kirk is 7-5 lifetime against Michigan.

By comparison, Hayden was 4-11-1, Barry Alvarez 3-8.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  3. IowaTeddy

IowaTeddy Well-Known Member

I think we are all on the same page when it comes to Nebraska’s history v. current state of their program. Their fans being “stuck in the 90s”, etc. They do indeed “overhype” their team. Their expectations are far too lofty. Their fans project a caliber that their play doesn’t merit.

But to their credit, when they’re getting absolutely embarrassed at home, on national TV, on their big “our program has arrived” moment... the stadium is 100% full of red. They might have been temporarily silenced by the OSU bloodbath, but through the very end of that miserable game, every seat is full. Looking at Kinnick, and even Camp Randall in recent weeks, we can’t claim that.

4. Northside Hawk

Northside Hawk Well-Known Member

They were leaving in droves by the end of the third quarter in our 56-14 win in 2017. And it was a day more typical of late September than Black Friday.

5. okeefe4prez

okeefe4prez Well-Known Member

Nah, Clemson is really good right now, but even if they win 2 more, they still won't be royalty. They're just Iowa who lucked into a great coach and are in a much richer recruiting region and they have benefited from the falloff of the ACC. Give them 5 years of regression to the mean and they'll be right around that Iowa level in terms of prestige. Same with someone like Tennessee.

6. Fryowa

Fryowa Well-Known Member

If you’re measuring prestige or success or whatever on how many fans are in a stadium, I don’t know what I can tell you man.

90,000 idiots is still 90,000 idiots whether they stupidly spend their money on their state’s biggest embarrassment or not.

You can make an argument that Nebraska fans rate highly in school spirit or rah rah rah, etc., but that in no way ties in with the discussion going on in this thread about program relevance. In other words, they may be loveavle losers, but they’re still losers.

And conversely, you’re really going to blame any college football fan for not wanting to spend three or four hundred bucks to take their family to a cramped, overpriced booze fest when they can watch it at home without having to stand in 45° drizzle and wait a half hour in line to take a piss, then another 45 minutes to get their kids a $15 popcorn? Gtfo.

Spend your money however you want, but don’t bag on people for not being willing to pay their hard earned cash on the shit shows that are major sporting events. This ain’t a 1952 Reds noon game where you get a three foot chunk of bleachers and a box of cracker jacks for a buck and a quarter.

MoseSchrute and pythagoras like this.
  7. MelroseHawkins

MelroseHawkins Well-Known Member

Is that to their credit or is it pathetic!?

Brayton, kicker22 and MoseSchrute like this.
  8. MelroseHawkins

Clemson used to have a run back in the 1980's though.

9. DDThompson

DDThompson Well-Known Member

Michigan’s modern history mirrors Harbaugh’s short history. Plenty-o-wins. National Championships not so much.

Last championship was 1997.

Previous championship was 1948

They’ve got a couple more decades to reach that drought.

10. DDThompson

Obvious question is,

What is the average top 10 for programs since that time. Is 5 the average? Or Is it 2? Because there could be a big difference between 5 and 2

MelroseHawkins likes this.
  11. okeefe4prez

okeefe4prez Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know, but it didn't really matter to the talking heads. They had that one title in like '81, but no storied run of sustained success that anointed them royalty. Aside from '81 they were pretty much like Iowa where they were decent, but couldn't win the huge games with regularity needed to be a big dog. The school and fan base are probably too small, too, for the national pundits.

12. DDThompson

So what is average when it comes to programs being in the top 10?

13. MoseSchrute

MoseSchrute Well-Known Member

No. Michigan has the most all time wins in college football. Nebraska feasted in a sisters of the poor conference for over a hundred years and would have ZERO "championships" if they had been in the Big 10 from the beginning.

14. MoseSchrute

MoseSchrute Well-Known Member

Worshiping college boys like some kind of religion is nothing to be proud of.

DDThompson likes this.
  15. ModebaSan

ModebaSan Well-Known Member

Have you seen Harbaugh’s interviews on tv? He acts as if his teeth are being pulled. He struggles to answer even the most simple questions. He looks like a deer in headlights every time he’s at the podium. I’m just wondering what his own team thinks of him after being around him for a couple of seasons. He hires a offensive coordinator over the telephone without even a face to face interview. Who does that? How this guy has ever been successful is beyond me. I guess it’s easy to hire competent assistants and just let them do their jobs and just be the face of the program. The guy is just weird.

16. dahlhawk

dahlhawk Well-Known Member

_storage_emulated_0_Pictures_IMG_0055_2.JPG Since you mentioned 2016, I have to add my favorite pic while walking on the Kinnick Turf, a very sad Michigan fan who was still standing there long after I left. So, so, delicious!

DDThompson likes this.
  17. 4thngoal

4thngoal Well-Known Member

Yeah I used to have a picture of the bridge from the stadium to the north over the rr tracks, absolutely packed at about 3 minutes into the 4th quarter. (Like 2014? 2015? I can't remember. 4 or 5 years ago)
    I showed it to everyone. Including my ex's family (they are from braska). I might have even posted it on FB for all my husker fan friends.
    Because I get to see the posts about consecutive sell outs, world's greatest fans, blah blah blah.

18. MelroseHawkins

Good point and question.

DDThompson likes this.
  19. oldhawk12

oldhawk12 Well-Known Member

Michigan was significantly better in the Hayden years so you are comparing apples to hand grenades. Hayden was 10 times the coach this guy has ever been based on multiple levels and I’m really not interested in repeating the multiple reasons why yet again either

20. oldhawk12

oldhawk12 Well-Known Member

Lol