Murray Twins Commit to Iowa

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by RobHowe, Oct 21, 2019.

1. revkev73

revkev73 Well-Known Member

Hopefully Fran can keep up the MoJo and run head to head with the a bit above average KF. Go Hawks!

2. revkev73

revkev73 Well-Known Member

Damn, there is always a negative to our "great" recruiting news!

dlbrandt and Northside Hawk like this.
  3. koralakers

koralakers Well-Known Member

I agree. Go Hawks and welcome. Prove all the nay-sayers wrong boys!

dlbrandt likes this.
  4. RobHowe

RobHowe Administrator

If I were wagering, I think we see Garza and Wieskamp go through the NBA Draft process next year.

InGoodCo likes this.
  5. Northside Hawk

Northside Hawk Well-Known Member

Only if they rewind the clock about 40 years and Luka channels his inner Billy Paultz.

I've expressed concern in the past that Tyler Cook would foul himself right out of the NBA.

Luka Garza?

6. deanvogs

deanvogs Well-Known Member

I agree. I think Garza returns for his Sr. year for sure. I'm about 50/50 on Wieskamp being back next year.

7. Shivetts

Shivetts Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing. Kenyon was a great defensive player, remember he used to shadow guards all the way up the court, but he couldn't shoot at all. I believe he lost his starting job at some point because of poor offensive play.

8. Hawkfnntn

Hawkfnntn Well-Known Member

I'm more bullish on Joe W coming back. I don't think he's quite explosive enough of an athlete to make the NBA at his position. Skill wise sure he can shoot and handle. But can he defend and get around those NBA guys? I dunno. Marble can't seem to be able to. Maybe Joe will prove me wrong a lot can change in a year.

9. SteveGarvey1

SteveGarvey1 Well-Known Member

I was joking, yes.

10. SteveGarvey1

SteveGarvey1 Well-Known Member

Since Ulis had a Depaul offer, is that actually considered having a P-6 offer, since they reside in the Big East? Least I think they do.

Look, we have 4 lightly recruited kids coming to Iowa. The odds are, one of them will outproduce his recruiting ranking, one or two will play at about his recruiting ranking, and one will be a complete bust. That is treating the twins as distinct players of course.

That doesn't bode well for Fran and could seal his fate in a few years.

11. NikeHawk21

NikeHawk21 Well-Known Member

It’s always a two part question though. What the player actually projects as, and what the player actually thinks or hears from talent evaluators. Maybe a player is told by one scout that he’s a potential 2nd round pick, where 10 other scouts see him as an undrafted guy. Depending on the kid by the time it gets back to his friends and family that might be “ya I’m an early second round grade.” I’m not saying that’s Joe but the G league is littered with guys who went pro on the notion that they were going to be drafted and never were.

On the Joe Vs Marble comparison. Joe is a much more proficient shooter and much more advanced at a younger age. Marble seemed to operate better with the ball in his hands while Wieskamp with his 7’ wingspan and outside shot projects as an NBA 3 and D guy.

Hawkfnntn likes this.
  12. JG10Hawk

JG10Hawk Well-Known Member

Is that really Joe's wingspan? That's one of the aspects scouts look closely at for projecting guys. Hell that's probably why Horton-Tucker was drafted even though he was arguably the 2nd or 3rd best college player in Ames last year.

13. RobHowe

RobHowe Administrator

The trend now is for guys to come out early regardless of whether or not they're going to be picked in the first round.

Three college seniors were drafted in the first round in '19.

Many players don't see coming back for their senior years, and junior years in some instances, as beneficial to their pro careers. And with the talk that the one-and-done rule could be going away, college upperclassmen are even more apt to jump early.

That doesn't mean it will happen with JW and LG. But that's the trend.

14. Hawkfnntn

Hawkfnntn Well-Known Member

It is a 2 part Q I agree.
    Marble with how the NBA game is I would think would have had a chance to be on a bench in the league. But he's not athletic enough it don't seem or consistent enough of a scorer. Joe is bigger then Marble ever was at Iowa already (Marble was a string bean his first 3 yrs pretty much) That will help Joe a lot too as when he drives he uses that to his advantage. They aren't the same player by any means but would play similar positions in the NBA I think. How Joe continues to develop will be fun to watch.

15. Ree4

Ree4 Well-Known Member

Eh it's always unfortunate when a poster leaves, I feel the more the merrier but let's not pretend that he wasn't a dick to almost everyone. He thought he knew everything and was terrible at having any semblance of a logical discussion. His style of discourse belongs on Facebook, not here.

16. N8theGr8

N8theGr8 Well-Known Member

Must have worked on the shooting with his kids to correct for that. Their shot looks really clean, even the lefty, and I think they're between 87-90% free throw shooters. I don't think they're anywhere as athletic as Kenyon was though, but it also looked like they were still growing into their bodies in high school. Maybe a lot has changed. Two Kenyons with better shooting percentages would be awesome. Just really hope they bring the defense of a guy who finished his career as Iowa's all-time leader in steals.

For comparison
    Kenyon's best shooting percentages at Iowa across his years
    2pt: 60.4%
    3pt: 32.5%
    FT: 62.5%

Keegan:
    2pt: 52%
    3pt: 39.8%
    FT: 87%

Kris:
    2pt: 44%
    3pt: 33%
    FT: 90%

17. Northside Hawk

Northside Hawk Well-Known Member

If you could prove him wrong he was the first to admit it. When he lost his bet to @ingoodcompany he ponied up.

His honesty was old school and like I said not for everyone. If someone is offended by an exchange on an anonymous message board then perhaps message boards are not for them. People are always ten feet tall and bulletproof when they can hide behind a keyboard.

18. Ree4

Ree4 Well-Known Member

LOL one time he admitted he was wrong in a bet? He better pay up for something like that. He never offended me, just never liked how he personally attacked others. If that's being sensitive then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

eledmonster, InGoodCo and Husky28 like this.
  19. PCHawk

PCHawk Well-Known Member

He was definitely a tool. But he was our tool!

eledmonster, tmess1989 and Ree4 like this.
  20. NikeHawk21

NikeHawk21 Well-Known Member

I got into plenty of spats with Lightning but he brought some good discussions.

I always found it super funny that he thought coaching AAU basketball made him a basketball savant.

smitharooney and InGoodCo like this.