Patriots Influence On Iowa - Interesting Read.

Discussion in 'Football' started by MelroseHawkins, Aug 12, 2019.

1. MelroseHawkins

MelroseHawkins Well-Known Member

Is Iowa trying to become the New England Patriots of NCAA football? Both Ferentz's have coaching experience with Bill Belichek and Brian coached at New England, gaining experience. Who better to learn from? I found his response and explanation interesting. I think he gets it and he may actually turn out to be a damn good offense coordinator, WITH THE RIGHT INGREDIENTS!!

It sounds like the goal is to really diversify the offense, take what the defense is willing to give to you and detach from your emotions. I think the guy is getting it. I think the future looks bright, IMO.

Obviously the Hawkeyes have not been similar to the Patriots over the years, but I like the vision of playing their philosophy and how he broke down their game. This is Brian's only what like 3rd season? I think the key is him finally getting the correct players to diversify the offense and not rely on just 1 or 2 players, such as Wadley and Hockenson or Fant. I think we will see this philosophy more this year. Add into that a fullback as well.

https://www.press-citizen.com/story...brady-bill-belichick-nate-stanley/1980546001/

DDThompson and NCHawker like this.
  2. BrianFerentzForPresident

BrianFerentzForPresident Well-Known Member

Yes, third season. I think he’s on an upward trajectory. Only time will tell how extreme that trajectory is. It all rests on the quarterback, though, as Iowa’s offense, and that of the entire league, always has.

3. okeefe4prez

okeefe4prez Well-Known Member

I think the days of having a smothering defense and a serviceable QB and winning hardware might be over both in the NFL and the NCAA. The Ravens won hardware with a great D and mediocre QB. Bama did it for years, but looking at the QB play in the playoffs the last several years, it's clear that getting a few big games out of your QB is pretty much a requirement now. I guess maybe in the NFL where you might get a weather assist to at least get to the Super Bowl it may still be possible if you play consecutive games in Buffalo/Pitt/Cleveland/NY/Foxboro in January, but these great QBs seem to be able to piece together late drives at will.

4. MelroseHawkins

I remember when a 300 yrd passer was a big deal, especially when getting that in fantasy football. Hell, now they are a dime a dozen that that is the low bar for a QB in the NFL. You better have WR on your team and a QB who can get them the ball or they are screwed, like the NY Giants will be this year. Look at that team's receiving corps. Never heard of them.

5. EstronHawkKing

EstronHawkKing Well-Known Member

This made me laugh. The Patriots are consistent winners, Iowa is not.

Fryowa likes this.
  6. homes

homes Well-Known Member

Agree. The first two years are a lot of learning, trial and error. By the third season, it's time for it to come together. I think to be a good OC, you have to be a good counterpuncher, and to be able to do it on the fly when things you believe before the game will work, don't work. To do so, as the article notes, you need options, and then know how and when to use those options. Not perfection, just recognition and then implementation of what's given to you more times than not.

7. guffus

guffus Well-Known Member

So the secret to being a good QB and coach is emotional detachment?

That must make for interesting pep talks.

DDThompson likes this.
  8. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Well-Known Member

It’s about setting high goals and striving to get better. But, you would rather sit back and bitch.

Ree4 and MelroseHawkins like this.
  9. EstronHawkKing

Actually, it's how I really feel and there's truth to it. Sour grapes for you I guess.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    BigD likes this.
  10. Fryowa

Fryowa Well-Known Member

Your incessant, homeristic Ferentz-worship is much, much more grating than any form of cynicism. At least cynical people have a sense of humor.

BigD and EstronHawkKing like this.
  11. iloveyoularrystation

iloveyoularrystation Well-Known Member

good article, good read. thanks for posting.

MelroseHawkins likes this.
  12. MelroseHawkins

Yea, I don't usually pick on Simpleton's.

13. Ree4

Ree4 Well-Known Member

Seems like the tl;dr version of this article could be summarized as "Scratch where it itches"

DDThompson and uihawk82 like this.
  14. SteveGarvey1

SteveGarvey1 Well-Known Member

Better way to say that is that the Patriots are consistently great, Iowa is consistently just OK.

BigD likes this.
  15. EstronHawkKing

You better run that by HuckFinn first, seems you have to have his permission for these kind of posts.

16. mopkins

mopkins King Kong

The key word here is "influence". Just like the band Oasis was influenced by the Beatles. The point being that Iowa sees what New England has done (schemes, personnel, etc) and are trying to mimic that philosophy. They don't have to win 6 national titles in 17 years to be influenced by what the Patriots are doing.

Chickenlounge and MelroseHawkins like this.
  17. EstronHawkKing

Iowa should deflate footballs, tamper with opposing teams head sets, place hidden mics in the visitors locker room (Payton Manning made this claim) spy on teams during pre-game warm ups (spygate) ....need I go on?

18. mopkins

mopkins King Kong

You forgot the part where the owner pays asian sex traffickers for hand jobs.

19. MelroseHawkins

Correct. Nobody said Iowa was New England.

Ya gotta luv simple minded individuals who only can see the obvious.

Tvismylif likes this.
  20. MelroseHawkins

Has absolutely NOTHING to do with diversifying the offense, taking what the defense is willing to give you or detaching from emotions as a coach.

Really, you couldn't understand these three key points from reading the article? Did you even read the article? What is your point?