Preseason Depth Chart

Discussion in 'Football' started by RobHowe, Jul 18, 2019.

1. 4thngoal

4thngoal Well-Known Member

Just a quick glance, but I noticed Nixon @ #2. That could be a battle for the starting job from now until fall.
    I have a feeling our DL is going to be stellar.
    Get the rest of it sorted out and I have no doubt that it's extremely possible for this defense to be in the record books.

2. BrianFerentzForPresident

BrianFerentzForPresident Well-Known Member

Seems the line as a whole haven’t gotten a ton of great looks, mostly because of last year’s senior class, but with Epenesa starting and very likely improved tackles, I have a hard time seeing how they don’t move forward. Hopefully Amani Jones has finally found a place where his athleticism will shine. That week one performance from him was embarrassing.

3. NikeHawk21

NikeHawk21 Well-Known Member

ZVV will probably work his way into the two deeps on the Dline and Sleep-Dalton should be the punter.

I like seeing Lockett in the two deeps. Im actually excited about the WR group the next few years.

Still hoping Kallenberger steps up and takes the LG spot.

4. karras

karras Well-Known Member

Then why did you want LeVar Woods to take the fall? . . . oh, that's right, because you're craven and stupid.

5. Fryowa

Fryowa Well-Known Member

Hey folks, let’s all welcome @HawkleberryFinn back.

Stupid I’ll readily admit to and have done so several times on this board.

But craven? That’s one thing I’m not.

Craven would be more applicable to you calling me a woman/child abuser in a previous thread and not replying when I asked you about it. But I digress...

6. kameltoez102

kameltoez102 Well-Known Member

Out of all the two deep positions I put the least amount of emphasis on the D line group. The way they have been rotating in and out to stay fresh and for situational reasons regardless if they are the starter they will get to play a bunch.

I hope we can get a punt returner that can bring back a spark to that unit and get ISM to run with a little more control and cut down on the turnovers for special teams. If we can have no fumbles on special teams all year we will be in good shape

7. tksirius

tksirius Well-Known Prostitute

Jack Plumb backing up Wirfs at 272lbs. That's an interesting development.

AreWeThereYet, CP87 and Fryowa like this.
  8. guffus

guffus Well-Known Member

So now they have gone back to listing 3 WR and 1 TE ?

The defense still lists 3 LB's ?

Depth charts are just 1 snapshot for 1 possible formation when the players are well-rested and healthy.

Not sure if they capture all the multiple formations that both offense and defense use now, and they don't really capture how much time is shared in a rotation.

But they are something to talk about.

9. hawkdrummer1

hawkdrummer1 Well-Known Member

Tired of the past...obviously. Skeptical of the future, as a result. I trust that the best guy will get the nod.

10. CP87

CP87 Well-Known Member

I agree. Jenkins at backup OC at 266 is also interesting.

Those guys have clearly shown something. However, with Iowa OL, it is always next most talented guy in, regardless of position. I would have to think if Wirfs did go down, it would be Kallenberger or a Paulson stepping in.

Likewise, if Linderbaum goes down, it will be Banwart stepping in, and a Paulson filling in for OG.

11. EstronHawkKing

EstronHawkKing Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to seeing Waggoner on the D-Line. He had a great high school career at DSM Dowling and was a big time recruit

Ree4 likes this.
  12. uihawk82

uihawk82 Well-Known Member

If the cornerbacks can play really well and let the other 9 players control the center of the field I think you are right.

A couple of injuries and issues at corner last year probably helped cost the team two wins.

13. uihawk82

uihawk82 Well-Known Member

It is early and a Paulsen twin could always go out to tackle for a bigger body. But I dont want to think about losing the tackles or any players.

14. RobHowe

RobHowe Administrator

The coaches are high on Plumb. It's just going to take some time to develop his body and fundamentals. He played tight end in high school. High-level athlete.

15. CP87

CP87 Well-Known Member

Would love to see them use some 6 OL formations with Plumb as an extra OT/TE.

16. Fryowa

Fryowa Well-Known Member

Anybody who wears rec specs should be an instant starter in my book.

[​IMG]

Ree4, pootspot, Chickenlounge and 3 others like this.
  17. Knight78

Knight78 Well-Known Member

Anyone else curious as to why Ivory Kelly Martin is not even mentioned?

18. guffus

guffus Well-Known Member

I am. The guy was the pre-season starter last year. Where did IKM disappear to? If the plan was to split the RB time 3 ways, he would probably be listed on one of those "OR" lines.

19. NikeHawk21

NikeHawk21 Well-Known Member

I think he may have been banged up in the spring a bit.

IMHO he’s just not as good as the other backs. Speed only gets you so far but I just don’t feel that IKM has the vision or patience required to play the position at a high level. It took the coaches some game film to see that I believe.

LGEND24 likes this.
  20. Fryowa

Fryowa Well-Known Member

Sargent/Young is as close to Daniels/Wadley as we can get with this roster, and I'm a huge fan of that style.

1hawkeye1 likes this.