QB flip?

Discussion in 'Football' started by #1DieHardHawk, May 20, 2020.

1. #1DieHardHawk

#1DieHardHawk Well-Known Member

Word is that Iowa has flipped QB Joey Labas out of Ohio, currently a Ball State commit. Could be that backup plan we were all speculating about.

2. westender

westender Well-Known Member

3. RobHowe

RobHowe Administrator

I saw Blair Sanderson reported it. That's a solid source. :)

I'll see if I can reach the kid.

4. SteveGarvey1

SteveGarvey1 Well-Known Member

Broadway Joe.

5. ohhawk

ohhawk Well-Known Member

Another Ricky Stanzi type...........northern OH and sleeper category to some degree.

ModebaSan likes this.
  6. SpiderRico

SpiderRico Well-Known Member

MAC has turned out great QBs during their entire history. There can only be 65 starting QBs in P5 so some guys are going to go under the radar. Hopefully this is one of them.

ModebaSan likes this.
  7. GesterHawk

GesterHawk Well-Known Member

After the success the coaches have been having lately, it is good to recruit a kid that could either be a diamond in the rough or stick around for 5 years as a back up.

That said, it sounds like this kid is extremely athletic.

ModebaSan and MILHAWKEYE like this.
  8. MelroseHawkins

MelroseHawkins Well-Known Member

Well, if he doesn't work out at QB, maybe he could fill another position, ala McNutt like!

9. hawkeyebob62

hawkeyebob62 Well-Known Member

Looking at the video, all I can say is, "I'm Mr. Green Christmas, I'm Mister Sun, I'm Mr. Heat Blister, I'm Mister Hundred and One..."

ModebaSan, chucktownhawk and Hawkboys like this.
  10. ModebaSan

ModebaSan Well-Known Member

11. ModebaSan

12. hawkdrummer1

hawkdrummer1 Well-Known Member

Started in 3 sports...as a Freshmen? Wow, and listen to the interview...that doesn't sound like a 15-16 year old kid.

ModebaSan and Hawkboys like this.
  13. ModebaSan

I like his mobility. If he has to, he can pull it down and run with the ball. KOK will develop him as a passer, but you can’t really teach a kid to be mobile. Will make a good backup or come in for (God forbid) an injury situation.

14. chucktownhawk

chucktownhawk Well-Known Member

And he wore #5.....hmm, a Drew Tate kind of guy? Fuck yeah!!

ModebaSan likes this.
  15. TychoBrahe

TychoBrahe Well-Known Member

He's 6-3, so height is good for a QB. Love that he plays SS in baseball and starts in BB, has quick feet and good agility. His HS looks pretty small, so not sure of his competition there, but he seems to have the tools. Impressive that he started in 3 sports of a frosh, reminds me a little of...dare I say the name...Timmy Dwight?

Not to set high expectations or anything....

ModebaSan likes this.
  16. Hawk1960

Hawk1960 Well-Known Member

Broadview Heights is a suburb of Cleveland so I think he is facing some very good competition. I believe the offensive coordinator at his HS is Tom Tupa, former OSU and NFL QB. Even the small schools in Ohio play some very high level football and are typically well coached.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    ModebaSan likes this.
  17. RobHowe

RobHowe Administrator

18. SpiderRico

SpiderRico Well-Known Member

In the last 20 years, I'm guessing that the MAC has put more QBs in the league than the B1G has. There's no shame in getting a QB flip from the MAC, to be sure.

Hawkfnntn likes this.
  19. RobHowe

RobHowe Administrator

Agree. But that won't keep some people from shaming it. ;)

20. Hawkfnntn

Hawkfnntn Well-Known Member

It'd be a stat I'd be curious to know for sure. That league plays pretty darn good football. How many of their coaches climb the ladder from there too?