The Next Hawkeye Assistant Coach Will Be...

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by IowaLawWasRight, Apr 17, 2019.

1. RobHowe

RobHowe Administrator

You could be right there. I don't know what type of candidates there are for the position or what Eldridge would be as a full-time assistant.

2. sioux34

sioux34 Well-Known Member

I cant say he has a demonstrated track record as a recruiter or a defensive guru. I hope the new assistant can bring one if not if not both to the table.

3. UncleHawk

UncleHawk Well-Known Member

Chris Calloway is an interesting possibility. St. Louis is definitely in our recruiting sphere. Of course, Cook is from there and Caleb Love is too. Others will be in the future. Iowa and IL are the closest B1G schools to St. Louis and (with IL more focused on instate Chicago) it might be a good city to establish a recruiting pipeline to.

Ben McCollum (coaching at NW Missouri St) probably has St Louis recruiting ties as well as Iowa family ties.

I agree it’s important to move quickly, but intelligently, on the next assistant. It could be a recruiting opportunity with a good choice.

4. Zstatman

Zstatman Well-Known Member

Isn't Josh Oglesby currently on staff in some capacity now?

Maybe Gatens is looking for a job after failing to land Maisie Dailey for Drake?

5. sioux34

Are we even looking for a new assistant coach?

6. RobHowe

RobHowe Administrator

Yes.

I think it will be Courtney Eldridge. Not sure when it will be announced.

7. Spot

Spot New Member

So, we may be looking for a new video coordinator then.

8. RobHowe

RobHowe Administrator

Yes. Unless there's some type of reshuffling like what happened on the football staff.

9. Tierney

Tierney Well-Known Member

The guy sounds like he deserves a promotion. Fran would know his character and work ethic. It sounds like a good thing to me.

10. TJHawkeye

TJHawkeye Well-Known Member

Hiring a video coordinator to coach major college basketball is almost like picking a man off the street. Just because Fran likes the guy doesn't make him a qualified coach who can add positives to the team or to recruiting.

11. NikeHawk21

NikeHawk21 Well-Known Member

He played college ball for Fran at UNC-G and I believe played overseas for many years. He’s also coached at the high school level.

Being the video coordinator isn’t simply a job where you organize film and hand it off to someone. He likely sits in on all the coaches meetings, attends all the practices and games. I’m not sure in what capacity he’s allowed to coach players but guys in his position are often looking to work their way up into the coaching ranks.

Knight78 likes this.
  12. ArvadaHawk

ArvadaHawk Well-Known Member

that's a fair way to look at it. another fair way to look at it is having a good ast coach as video coordinator waiting for an opening. that's the devil's advocate post. but it's true. we truthfully don't know which it will be. and since it's fran's neck on the line, he has the right to pick his guy. i do see the potential upside with this cat knowing fran's system inside out, but we don't know if he will be the answer.

13. sioux34

Nothing against the guy, but I was hoping for a step up from the coach who departed. Experience wise, i dont feel we are getting that.

14. SteveGarvey1

SteveGarvey1 Well-Known Member

On the surface, at first blush, I'd say good hire by Fran.

15. TJHawkeye

TJHawkeye Well-Known Member

What do you feel he offers the team?

16. RobHowe

RobHowe Administrator

Ryan Bowen was Fran’s first video coordinator at Iowa.

Knight78 likes this.
  17. SteveGarvey1

SteveGarvey1 Well-Known Member

Good experience and a guy who's paid his dues. I also qualified my feelings that it's my initial take.

Why do you feel he doesn't offer enough for the team?

18. Knight78

Knight78 Well-Known Member

Who is now an assistant coach for the Denver Nuggets.

19. Tierney

Tierney Well-Known Member

So who will be the next video coordinator for the basketball team?

20. RobHowe

RobHowe Administrator

TBD.

I think Matt Gatens would have a good shot at it if he wanted it. Not sure he would make the move from director of basketball ops at Drake to video coordinator here. He might have a better chance to move up to an on-court coaching position at Drake than he does here.