Toren Young Moving On

Discussion in 'Football' started by RobHowe, Jan 14, 2020 at 3:05 PM.

1. SpiderRico

SpiderRico Well-Known Member

This seems odd. He was one of only a handful of juniors to ever be taken to Chicago for B1G Media Days (I think Josey and Stanley were the only other ones) and was the only junior on the leadership council, so the coaches obviously thought pretty highly of him. I would have thought he'd want to finish out his career here and have the chance to be recognized on senior day.

Oh well, best of luck to him!

2. tksirius

tksirius HN's Love Doctor

If Gavin Williams bulks up, he'll be somewhat similar to Young.

3. PCHawk

PCHawk Well-Known Member

So technically that's two years in a row of losing four guys early to the draft.

4. CP87

CP87 Well-Known Member

Nah, G. Williams is more of a burner. He runs a 10.8 100m. Young would probably run 12.0.

LeShon Williams actually reminds me of Young, but I think he is more nifty. I will be interesting to see how those 2 perform.

5. MoseSchrute

MoseSchrute Well-Known Member

He had the best yds. per carry of all our backs, didn't he?

uihawk82 likes this.
  6. tksirius

tksirius HN's Love Doctor

Wow, really? He looks slower in his film.

7. HawkeyeDenis

HawkeyeDenis Well-Known Member

Sad. But best of luck to him.

8. uihawk82

uihawk82 Well-Known Member

Yes, he was not used well in the red zone or hardly used in the red zone at all. Red zone as you all know gets compressed for the passing game but you can still spread a team out and have the one big power back in there to run straight ahead on first or second down to get to short yardage situations.

I think this is a big loss in some ways. Goodson needs to stay healthy now.

Hawkfnntn and MoseSchrute like this.
  9. uihawk82

How much do practice squad players make? NFL teams have what a 53 man squad iirc so if you can be a great kick return blocker or kick and punt coverage tackler along with being a 3rd string running back sometimes a coach ends up liking how a player adds to the team. Not saying he will make a team but heck if practice teamers on contract make some decent dough then go for it.

Or Canada

10. uihawk82

Correct and no shit and he hit the other team pretty hard

11. uihawk82

Who is Leshon Williams? YOu mean Leshun Daniels?

12. hawkfan2679

hawkfan2679 Well-Known Member

I found in 2016, as a HS Sr, Young PR'd with an 11.63 outdoor 100M.

13. SpiderRico

SpiderRico Well-Known Member

Leshon Williams is our other RB recruit. From Illinois.

uihawk82 likes this.
  14. Drakebulldog93

Drakebulldog93 Well-Known Member

He saw the writing on the wall. He wasn't going to get a lot of carries next year. Understandable but I would think he would go to another school instead of try the NFL.

15. revkev73

revkev73 Well-Known Member

Iowa needs to figure out how to run the football again. Different schemes. Different coaching. Different players.

16. SteveGarvey1

SteveGarvey1 Well-Known Member

Gotta think Toren runs about a 4.7 40. That's not going to cut it in the NFL.

17. kameltoez102

kameltoez102 Well-Known Member

I think with his hands and work ethic from what I am told he could make the move to fullback pretty easily. With someone like him that doesn't have any huge outstanding physical freakiness it is all going to depend on where he lands. I think given the right system he could find a home as a role player for a few years

18. 1hawkeye1

1hawkeye1 Well-Known Member

He what???o_O:confused: Grad transfer, yes. But NFL? I don't get that.

19. okeefe4prez

okeefe4prez Well-Known Member

Like $10k a week. It ain't much. You only get paid during the season. From what I've heard, the practices suck worse than the games for the guys who ain't starters. I don't think it is worth it.

20. RobHowe

RobHowe Administrator

Toren is a really smart kid and will graduate in May. He's chosen to take a shot at the pros now instead of banging up his body at another school. If it doesn't work out, he moves onto his post-athlete life.

I'm sure there are guys that would transfer and try to become the starter in another program. Maybe he just can't see himself somewhere else.

It makes sense to me.