what new recruit

Discussion in 'Football' started by bigjim, Feb 9, 2014.

1. bigjim

bigjim Well-Known Member

Will make the biggest splash their freshman year?

2. clim

clim Well-Known Member

Hendrick at de is my guess

3. doclee

doclee Well-Known Member

Hopefully, other than our Juco transfer, no one.

4. Hawknick

Hawknick Banned

Mick Ellis and or Dillon Kidd if they earn it.

5. smbhawk1

smbhawk1 Well-Known Member

I thought I read where the plan is to redshirt him.

6. jsmith337

jsmith337 Well-Known Member

I think you are correct, I don't think the staff gets the option, he has to redshirt this year due to a rules condition?

7. Hawk1960

Hawk1960 Well-Known Member

He's not a new 2014 recruit but Derek Willies coming off of his redshirt year will have an impact.

8. clim

clim Well-Known Member

If the de can't play then I'd go with jameer outsey. Got a feeling that guy will be good. Mich state went after this kid hard.

9. WinOneThisCentury

WinOneThisCentury Well-Known Member

Because it would be terrible to have another Desmond King happen. I'm going on record that I'm hopeful one of these 3 stars is actually a 4.5 star like King. He beat out a pretty good player after he got hurt.

10. vosov

vosov Well-Known Member

It is still up in the air, but the mandatory redshirt seems likely. The good news is that either way, he will have three years to play.

11. imported_ankle23

imported_ankle23 Well-Known Member

generally speaking, when you start true freshman, that is not a good indication about your team. of course there are exceptions to every generality. the comment was more - i hope they don't have to play as a true freshman given the depth being built on Iowa's team. you would hope who you have in the system, given their time in the system, etc, would be more ready to play on top of giving that true freshman time to grow and learn as well.

12. deanvogs

deanvogs Well-Known Member

True, and the good thing, is we don't really have any spots on the field at all that would need help from this FR class. The only way one gets into the 2 deeps is if they are that good, and break into them because of that (and that is a good thing at that point).

13. WinOneThisCentury

WinOneThisCentury Well-Known Member

I understand the thinking. Its a good point and I agree with the thought process , but I'm also open minded when it comes to this stuff. After the fifth or sixth game, I thought D. King was our best corner. Certainly it's debatable, but he was just rarely out of position and never made the big mistake...whereas Lowery occasionally did, see Iowa State and Minnesota games. I just couldn't believe how good he was against the run also...he just kept making play after play. My point is that some kids come in with the physical tools, talent, and skills necessary to be successful at this level...Brandon Wegher comes to mind also. Let's hope someone breaks through every year. I think there are few places like RB, WR, LB and Safety, that if a talent like King were to show up this summer...he gets a shot to play.

14. greenhawk

greenhawk Well-Known Member

I am really excited about scheel. I think he is one of the those qb turned recievers that is going to be a really special player. Especially with the depth at reciever, I think he has a real opportunity to compete there next year even.

15. Golfer

Golfer Well-Known Member

I found this interesting. Both from a defensive speed perspective, as that's what Parker's been talking about, and also as a possible WR, where Iowa's need is real. I never thought we had a QB problem, even with JVB, as much as we had a WR problem. Well, with JVB we had an OL problem also.

Croot Loops: CB Joshua Jackson | TheGazette