Would you rather...

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by angrypanda, Mar 12, 2018.

1. angrypanda

angrypanda Well-Known Member

2. 1977Hawkeye

1977Hawkeye Well-Known Member

The NWST game sucked but I'd rather be relevant and have that happen, than suck. This isn't even a question.

Upsets happen in the Tournament.. Even to Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  3. Fryowa

Fryowa Well-Known Member

Always make the tournament. Always.

Making the NCAAs indicates you had a good season.

That’d be like asking, “Would you rather have a shit season and not made the B1G title game, or barely lose against MSU in 2015?”

4. 1hawkeye1

1hawkeye1 Well-Known Member

Never wanna miss the tournament. Ever. Can't imagine anyone thinking otherwise.

5. okeefe4prez

okeefe4prez Well-Known Member

The year we made it to the NIT final was the high water mark of Iowa hoops in the past 20 years.

6. InGoodCo

InGoodCo Well-Known Member

I'd rather had made ANY tournament then no tournament. I'd rather MAKE the dance and lose by 40 to ISU in the play in game then not have made it.

Fryowa likes this.
  7. Fryowa

Fryowa Well-Known Member

You meant the dirt ring around the bathtub, right?

tksirius likes this.
  8. Fryowa

Fryowa Well-Known Member

40 to ISU is pishing it. If that happens I’m going to probably try and make a case for not showing up in the first place.

InGoodCo likes this.
  9. 1977Hawkeye

NIT, though. Who noticed? Outside of the state of Iowa, not many, I'll wager.

Shows how lame Iowa Basketball has been most of the past two decades.

10. SteveGarvey1

SteveGarvey1 Well-Known Member

No, but close. It's probably the three first round games we've won in the NCAAs during that time period. Three total games won in 20 years. Ouch.

11. PCHawk

PCHawk Well-Known Member

Crazy how close that long heave of Haluska's was to going in at the buzzer. That would have been a top 3 shot in tourney history had it gone.

Northside Hawk likes this.
  12. 1hawkeye1

1hawkeye1 Well-Known Member

That is a sad sad fact.

13. Northside Hawk

Northside Hawk Well-Known Member

Better to have lost in love than to have not loved at all. I say.

1977Hawkeye likes this.
  14. PCHawk

PCHawk Well-Known Member

That's actually an opinion. Some may think getting our first win in the tourney in a long time, in blow out fashion, would he the high mark. Some may think climbing to number 3 in the polls was the high mark. Some may think winning the Big 10 tourney to get a 3 seed in the NCAA tourney was the high mark. I'm guessing 99% of fans would pick one of the 3 I mentioned over making the NIT finals.

15. Northside Hawk

Northside Hawk Well-Known Member

Our 2013 NIT run included a nice thrashing of a Tony Bennett coached Virginia team-in Charlottesville. I remember a corner 3 by lone senior Eric May being the Dagger.

Think the two programs have trended in slightly different directions since then?

1977Hawkeye likes this.
  16. 1977Hawkeye

Truer words have never been spoken.

I also recall Georgia Tech knocking us out of the NIT in 2003 or whatever year that was. The next year, GT played in the national title game, and Iowa was in the NIT once again. Funny how that works - other programs improve. Iowa tends to stagnate.