Wow. Fran must be feeling some heat for missing out on DJ

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by lightning1, Jul 31, 2018.

1. N8theGr8

N8theGr8 Well-Known Member

I was with you and still am. I hoping he re-enters the picture at some point here. I'm not an expert here, but I don't see anything from these guys that would indicate a difference between them and Locure. I also imagine that being an in-state kid, he'd take a more personal stake in the team. I'd like to see a critical analysis of his game from a reputable "recruiting expert" that puts a major knock on him compared to 3 star guys other than his size.

2. SidFarkas

SidFarkas Well-Known Member

So, after a complete and final summer AAU evaluation period, every Mid Major and High Major give TL a pass - save one. 1.
    Totally inexplicable.

3. Tierney

Tierney Well-Known Member

You could be right, but the first three or four years of recruiting with Fran the pickings were a lot harder due to the success under lickliter. I tend to think Fran looks at a player through what they could become under his coaching ability rather what kind of abilities they really have. I think Fran is a good coach, but I doubt a great coach would of had the year he had after all the time he had to build the team. They did have some timely injuries last year though. Anyway, a coach can't be successful without the talented players, and even a talented player won't be successful without good coaching. The point guards they have offered obviously have a lot of potential. Given the same players, I think the starting line-ups for Iowa during the Fran tenure would of been different if Tom Davis or Lute Olson would of been the coach. I tend to think that Fran sees things through his heart more than his brain.

4. lightning1

lightning1 Well-Known Member

Funny how things don't change. Like not being coachable. Or having a bad attitude.

5. tksirius

tksirius HN's Love Doctor

Oh please. :rolleyes:

6. lightning1

Don't bother begging. It won't change the opinions that exist.

7. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Then show me the list. There have likely been quite a few 200+ ranked recruits that have gone to the Big 10 or other major conferences the last 10 years. I'm betting the hit rate is very low.

8. SteveGarvey1

SteveGarvey1 Well-Known Member

If there are about 85 P-6 schools out there and they have 3 scholarship openings per year then most wouldn't need to take many 200+ guys. Those guys would tend to be at mid-majors. What's the hit rate for these guys at mid-majors?

9. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

I don't know, I don't follow mid-majors. It's entirely irrelevant to me.

10. lightning1

Fran is one of the few P6 head coaches that's out offering several #240-260 rated prospects. No need to wonder how we are where we are, as a program.

11. SteveGarvey1

SteveGarvey1 Well-Known Member

How would you then know that recruits rated 200+ don't work out then since so many go to those schools?